Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Charlie Villanueva NAAF Spokesperson and Inspiration to all

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by Joann, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi girls, :)

I received an e-mail from a fellow Alopecian yesterday. We have been exchanging e-mails for several months. I found out she lives in Toronto from a mutual friend who knew both of us through diffrent online support groups for Alopecia Areata.

She was writing to tell me of a CBC news program that aired last night on TV. Her and I both had Alopecia Areata as children and grew up in a time where support was non - existant and Alopecia Areata was a dark secret you kept to yourself. Her 15 year old son was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata and ended up Alopecia Universalis.

Both her son and her were in the news program that highlighted Charlie Villanueva , a basketball player for the Toronto Raptors and a spokesperson for NAAF.

For those of you who get CBC Channel 6 the whole segment they taped will be on tomorrow Friday 21 at 10:00 pm.

I watched the shorter version last night and it brought me to tears both happy and sad. The happy tears were for what Charlie is doing for young and old alike who have Alopecia Areata. Inspiring them to not be ashamed over something they have no control over and showing them that having Alopecia Areata does not have to hold them back from all that they aspire to do.

The sad tears were for me ,the young child & tee , growing up so alone with all my feelings of shame and embarrassment that I had hair that fell out.

I'm so glad to see programs like this. The young children and teens today will grow up confident and strong not like those of us in the past hiding from the world.

God bless you Charlie, Diana & Gasper. You have made a difference for all of us. I felt such a connection to all on that program and when that little boy took his hat off and showed his bald head at the end of the program it was wonderful to see.

Hugs to all . Joann

2. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Guest

I'm not in the mood to work today so I googled Charlie V. What an amazing guy. All of those pictures of him on NAAF's website with those beaming kids brought tears to my eyes (and I'm not the hallmark moments sentimental type). But what he does is beautiful.

3. redclaire

redclaire Guest

I just googled Charlie too....

Would it be disrespectful and wrong of me to say " Yum!" ?

4. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Girls, :)

The Friday segment at 10:00 on CBC Channel 6 has been postponed due to hockey playoffs. I will let you know when I find out the new re-scheduled day and time.

Have a great weekend. Hugs. Joann