Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Chelsea (age 38 - Alopecia Universalis)

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by ChelseaLee, Apr 4, 2015.

1. ChelseaLee

ChelseaLee Guest

I'm Chelsea! I am 38 years old and am married with three kids (all boys -- could that be the reason my hair all fell out?!).

My hair started falling out in Nov of 2013 and was completely gone by May of 2014 (universalis). It's been a trip adjusting to the new, aerodynamic version of me -- sure wish I was a swimmer or a runner, I'd totally work that advantage ;-)

But seriously I feel very blessed to have a supportive family and friends. While pregnant with my 3rd child this past year, I was diagnosed with a second autoimmune disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.

I'm looking forward to meeting other people with alopecia and other autoimmune diseases to share, learn, and support each other!

Attached Files:

2. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi welcome !
    Sorry to hear you have progressed to Alopecia Universalis in a short time, pretty tough journey but you sound as though you are coping well .
    I have been Alopecia Universalis for 38 years now also have other auto immune problems.
    Look forward to getting to know you :)

3. ChelseaLee

ChelseaLee Guest

Hi, dancer! Thanks so much for the welcome. This is my first attempt to reach out to other folks with alopecia and it's so nice that you took the time to reply to me right away.

It's been a tough year for me, especially the beginning stages. Once I shaved my head, that was a big turning point for me. I stopped focusing so much on all of the hair that was falling out…still have some bad days, though! More than anything, I miss my eyebrows and eyelashes.

So, what's it like after 38 years? Do you still miss your hair sometimes? Or is it completely normal feeling for you since it has been so long?

4. Hi Chelsea

You are gorgeous, and look great with no hair!

5. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    You are stunning!

6. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am at that point It just part of me, I do miss my hair but not in a sad way the loss of brows and lashes annoys me at times , but it's a fleeting moment usually when I am going out and I can't get the false ones to stay on !!
    It's nice you have reached out to others some times it is good to know that what you feel is what others have experienced. I only joined here four years ago I had never spoken to another Alopecia Universalis lady before, it has helped me in different ways

7. sylvia plath

sylvia plath Member

Dislikes Received:
    wow you look like a ray of sunshine :)