Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Chinese Herbs?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by dragonfly, Dec 17, 2010.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi ladies,
    I have just very recently started accupuncture, primarily for sleep issues and to help treat my osteoporosis. I'm fortunate that the doctor I'm seeing is in fact a medical doctor who is also trained in Chinese medicine and accupuncture. He has started me on some herbs that treat menopause issues and help with adrenal fatigue. I have spoken to him about my hair loss but we haven't really delved into the question of whether or not there are any herbs that may help. Like I said, we've just gottens started. I am scheduled for another appointment next week and before I go I wanted to know if any of you have used Chinese herbs and if they have been helpful. I'd be interested to know if you have used them for any reason, not just for hair loss. His intention is to slowly introduce the herbs as he wants to make sure I tolerate them well. So far the one I'm taking isn't causing me any problems. I know that this type of thing can get expensive, which I'm willing to do if I see results, but I'd sure like to know any experience any of you have had.

2. sw33ti3

sw33ti3 Guest

Thats So bizaarr!!!!!!!
    I was just going to post about the exact same thing!!!!
    I too have been going for accupuncture for allergies, & today I asked if he could treat me for hairloss at the same time, he said yes. So he put some needles in my scalp, and after the treatment, he gave me a bottle of herbs for hairloss. I opened them up when I got home 7 the little information sheet inside said they were for Alopecia areata, which is not what I have, I have more like Androgenetic Alopecia. but the indications say to treat "grease hair dropping', baldness, & other hair issues. So I think I'll still take them & ask him at my next treatment if theres something to treat more hormonal hairloss problems. Wierd thing about the 'grease dropping' is when I got my hair done for my friends wedding in the summer, the hairdresser said I had a greasy scalp, which I really didn't think I had. And that could be attributing to my hairloss! I haven't really done much to help with that, but I'm crossing my fingers that some of this might help!!! Hopefully for you too!!!!!

:punk:

3. Jubilee

Jubilee Guest

I have tried Shou Wu Pian from Quality Life Herbs. I found out about it in
    Dr. Christiane Northrup's book The Wisdom of Menopause:

"Try Chinese herbs. Shou Wu Pian is a Chinese herbal medicine that often works very well to help restore hair growth. My acupuncturist has used it for years, and I have seen wonderful results, including a reduction in gray hair."

[then it says "See Resources"

and the resources says she gets it from http://www.qualitylifeherbs.com

I got headaches from them. I agree that you should start slowly and build up after a few days I could increase dosage and not get headaches. You get 500 tablets for the cost but then it does say to take 3-5 tablets 2-3 times daily. I think another name for it might be Fo-Ti.

I don't think they helped me anyway, but just wanted to give you a frame of reference if that is the herb that you will be recommended.

Good luck.

4. colline

colline Guest

I went to a herbalist for quite a while for psorasis of the scalp and it helped this was for about 6 mths and the psorasis went for over three years on the scalp.

With the hair loss i was told i had too much heat in my body so they tried to cool it with herbs it is now over 10 years later and all the medicines i took during the two years i did appear not to have helped.

When i was 16 i met a man who said i was going to loose my hair i paniked but thought it was not going to be true he was an ayverdic dr - truth is i did loose it and now have to rely on hair transplant and toppix to sort my head out. The future is wigs for me.

5. Eztli

Eztli Guest

I did the whole chinese medicine thing in China when i lived there. This included accupuncture 3X a week, an herbal "tea" (aka FOULNESS) twice a day and 8 pills of herbs a day. It didn't do anything for me, but as I've mentioned here before in addition to pcos I also have an adrenal problem and have WAY too much DHT.

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the replies. I guess since I'm going anyway for adrenal fatigue and insomnia, osteoporosis and all the other wonderful things that being post menopausal brings, I'll just see what happens. For some reason I've been losing a ton (well, maybe not a ton since I don't have a ton left) of hair after washing this past week, which is kind of unusual for me. Usually it's much slower than that, so who knows. At this point, while I most definitely don't like it, I no longer lose a minute worrying about it as there isn't a damn thing I can do about it. I will ask my accupuncturist about some herbs for the hair, but I really don't put a lot of hope there.

7. shopgirl

shopgirl Guest

Hey there dragonfly. Not sure if you saw my posting or not but I am having quite a bit of success with the Fusion Chinese Herbs. I also suffer from Insomnia and suffered for 5 years (although the last year it has improved). The herbs I started are the Fusion Women's Balance (2 a day), the multivitamin and mineral advanced (1 a day) and the Menopause Free (2 a day). I am 41 and that is why the menopause free was suggested to me by the supplier. I have been on them since about the end of October and my bald spot has filled in and the hair is now over a centimetre long. As soon as I can figure out how to put pics on this forum I will as I have before and after shots. Best of luck xx

8. novanne

novanne Guest

hey dragonfly,
    m about to use 'dong quai', Chinese herb.. which is used for menopause issues. as m only 23... m not sure bout it...

9. Filipinaako

Filipinaako Guest

Where can i find this fusion herb vit?

10. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Shopgirl! I see my accupuncturist next week and will ask about getting these herbs.

11. norwaymom

norwaymom Guest

Hi, I am using Chinese herbs to help with my alopecia areata. My Chinese Medicine doctor said that I am not producing enough blood. Since I didn't produce enough blood, my scalp wasn't nurished and it caused my hair to fall out. I am doing much better on the herbs. I had gone to a medical doctor to get diagnosed when I first had the hairloss. He put me on Predisone, a strong steroid.He also prescribed Rogaine 5% ( the one for men), and clobex foan. It all helped me to get my hair back-I had lost all of the hair on my head. He also gave me cortisone shots in the tush and into my scalp whenever I had a flair up. However, the Predisone has caused me to have osteoporosis.
    I didn't want to take the steroids any more so, I began searching for an alternative medicine and I turned to Chinese medicine. My Chinese doctor also does NAET-allergy elimination which seems to have also helped my situation. i would definitely recommend seeking out a Chinese Medicine doctor to help with your hairloss-just make sure that you find a well trained person.

12. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I asked my accupuncturist last time I saw him if there were Chinese herbs I could take for my hair loss, and he said there weren't any. This greatly concerns me because I don't believe that to be true, and from what you have all posted I now know it isn't true. He is an MD with training in Chinese medicine, but now I really question his knowledge base. I think I may check around and find someone else.

13. Leslie27

Leslie27 Guest

I would agree with Norwaymom. You need to find a reputable
    accupunture doctor, and chinese herbalist who knows what they are doing. If you have hair lost because you have an autoimmune disease you need to treat the cause of the disease to correct the hair loss. The hair loss is actually the symptom that happened because of an issue going on inside your body. Western medicine will treat a symptom with cortizone cream, styroid shots, and maybe some herbs or supplelments, This is to make your hair start to grow again, but if you don't get to the reason it started to fall out in the first place , you most likely will keep battling the problem with more spots re accurring. Every one is different. An accupunturist can tell by your tongue, and your pulse and symptons what organ might be causing an upset in your body for your hair to fall out. They can re balance and move blood to different areas to help correct your immune system from attacking healthy hair. Placing one needle in the top of your head is not just for your hair, it is to relax you doing the treatment. Depending on your situation needles can be placed in many different areas, and thats why you need to find a person who know what they are doing. I truly believe accupunture works, but it does take time to re balance and correct your body. I am doing both Western and Eastern medicine at the same time along with Chinease herbs. I have about 20 different herbs ground up for a tea i take twice a day. (I have a few other issues we are working on also) . It is working for me, I have had no new hair loss patches in 2 months and all the bald spots have new hair growth. I am excited and just scheduled a hair cut and highlighing with my hair stylist for next week. It has been 3 years since I had my hair highligted. My dermotolosist (who gives me the coritzone shots) did not recommend it before, He just gave me the go ahead last week after my last visit. Will keep you posted.

14. shopgirl

shopgirl Guest

Chinese Herbs should be available from any good health food store. The brand is Fusion (I am in Canberra, Australia) I would like to attach an email I received today from the Australian Alopecia Areata Foundation with before and after shots of the girl Willow who had the most success with these herbs...I have the photos in my email but cannot add them in - some help?

15. strands

strands Guest

Hi all

I have been on the two different sets of Fusion pills for 2 months (I think it took two weeks for Willow) and there has been no miracle regrowth..... If anything, my hair is slightly thinner (not from fusion, just from the usual hair loss). I won't be buying these supplements again once this batch runs out.

16. shopgirl

shopgirl Guest

Hi strands, sorry to hear you had no success with the fusion herbs. Its very frustrating when you pin your hopes on something and it doesn't work. I am still on them, but admittedly also massaging emu oil and coconut oil onto my scalp, as they have natural dht blockers which contribute to Androgenetic Alopecia. I try to remember to take liquid silica as well. I hope something works for you soon...as you can see from this website, there are a lot of us out there who are suffering from hair loss for what reason specific is unknown to us. Sometimes there is progress and then just when you think you are making progress, you get a shed. I am a huge self stressor with a history of depression, anxiety, insomnia, anaemia and possibly peri-menopausal. So it is very hard to pinpoint exactly what you are dealing with each time hair sheds....Good luck to you.

17. Mariaaa

Mariaaa Guest

I've tried Chinese herbs for my hair loss but didn't have my hopes set too high since I know my alopecia is really connected to my digestive problems. So it wasn't too much of a bummer when the herbs alone didn't fix the problem. I have however also used Chinese herbs for insomnia and and allergies and they worked very well :)

18. shopgirl

shopgirl Guest

Wow Mariaaa, that's interesting! I have heard that it can be contributed to digestive problems. How do you know for sure? Does your hair loss shed in a pattern? Mine is on the temples and on the crown. Maybe I should get tests done for my digestive system - I think my digestive system has been crap for years, just not sure how to fix it :$

19. Mariaaa

Mariaaa Guest

It took a while to figure out but now I can expect my shed like clockwork: I was diagnosed with colitis, and a couple of months after a flare-up I will shed like crazy. I'll have flare-ups if I eat really badly or experience a lot of stress. There's no real pattern to it though, it just goes in patches. As far as I know the culprit is my immune system because of it's inflammatory response to these things, which causes problems associated with autoimmune disorders. Colitis is autoimmune, and within a few months of a flare-up both of my other autoimmune problems, AT and psoriasis, get worse as well. So my doctor is actually treating my immune system rather than my colitis, or even alopecia or psoriasis, because they all seem to stem from it. I just take medication to suppress the body's immune system to prevent inflammation. I keep my digestive problems under control by eating a good diet, cutting out "trigger" foods, and avoiding stress. I also see a homeopathic doctor for my colitis, but that was a family decision, not my doctor's. It does seem to help though. If you feel like you have problems as well you should definitely see a doctor! You won't know how to go about fixing it if you don't know what it is.

20. strands

strands Guest

I went to the hairdresser this weekend. I don't know whether she was trying to be super nice by trying to make me feel good but she believes she sees a month's new growth coming through my scalp (not round the fringe area though). I can't see it myself but she swears it is there. The jury is still out but hope may not be lost.