Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Clynol Powder Punch

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by sa1112, Sep 8, 2011.

1. sa1112

sa1112 Guest

Hi Everyone,

.....forgive me first of all if this product has already been reviewed!

I had my topper taken off for the last time just over a week ago. My hair is getting back to some normality and I felt it was the right time for me to be brave and take the plunge. Have to say, I've felt a bit 'naked' and the terrible weather in the uk (very windy and rainy), wasn't helping my confidence much!

I still need to use Toppic or Fullmore on the top of my hair - and a little at the front too. I've stock-piled on these products as I can't be without them :). However.....I need a drum roll here, the BEST EVER product I've ever used in my whole life is Clynol Powder Punch. Bought it yesterday from a nearby salon after hearing reviews on the web about it. (NB there are other similar products on the market too by Osis etc).

All i can say is the volume from this little magic, is amazing. Even though my hair is thin and fine, I'm getting 1980s big hair results (been checking my old photos! :))

Basically for those who are not aware of this type of product, its a fine white powder that you massage into your roots (very sparingly). What I did though was sprinkle a little into my hands and then rake it through my hair whilst my head is upside down. I don't even need hairspray!!!!.

Anyway, I'll try and post photos tonight so you can see the difference.

Warm Wishes to you all.

2. Greene

Greene Guest

It sounds really interesting--I hadn't heard of it, but just watched this girl's review which looks promising: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v90oK2c-sPQ

If it's UK-only, there's a similar product in the US called "Pure Abundance Hair Potion" by Aveda. A friend of mine tried some at an Aveda store and it really 'oomphed' up her fine hair.

3. sa1112

sa1112 Guest

Hi there,

yes I'd heard of the Aveda one when I was whizzing through the reviews on Google. I'm guessing it's similar although there were one or two negative reviews on the Aveda one due to the product turning liquid in the container.

Have to say, it's been the holy grail trying to find volumising products and I daren't think about the money I've wasted (although I'm sure we've all been there!).

Anyway, this tops everything I've ever tried (although I'm not including concealers here as they are a godsend).

4. sa1112

sa1112 Guest

Sorry, meant to say in my last post that if you can'r get Clynol in the states, there is also Osis Dust it - Schwarzfopf which also has very good reviews. That may be more readily available for you? :)

5. emrob0

emrob0 Guest

Thank you sa1112. Have just ordered some. Will review when have used. Did you use it with fullmore/topic or alone? Know what you mean about this weather-wish the wind would either go away or we would have a cold snap so the hats could come out!

6. sa1112

sa1112 Guest

Hi! Yes I still use a bit of Toppic and Fullmore - couldnt be without them to be honest. They're great for covering any areas of scalp but don't help with volume - as everyone knows. Adding the powder into the routine just makes a massive difference!! It was £10 but I'd happily pay double for this. Just sorting out a photo now :)

7. emrob0

emrob0 Guest

Yes I have paid £9.10 inc delivery. Fingers crossed it gives me a bit of much needed volume. I use Nanogen currently, but am getting to the point it's very obvious & more powder than hair I think. Was thinking of giving Fullmore a try for a change-how do you rate it?

8. 40introy

40introy Guest

Just watched that video, thanks. I don't know about you guys but I actually try to get my hair to lay flat so it covers my scalp. If I were to use something like this that actually lifted my hair at the root, my scalp would be even more obvious!

9. sa1112

sa1112 Guest

Hi, having real difficulties trying to upload more than one photo - if anyone can help? Here's one of the top of my head for now.

Fullmore: it's really good and i think the best results come from first spraying my thinning areas with this - just lightly. It has good staying power and not messy for me. I then follow up with a few blasts of Toppik (I use the applicator which is so much better).

40introy: I know what you're saying here and i would agree too. The fact that i use concealers first makes all the difference. My thinning hair is at the top - kind of like the Christmas tree pattern that people refer to. The patchiness I have at the back of my crown is down to the glue being used when i wore my topper - I'm having a biopsy done in October and hopefully it won't show that my hair hair follicles have been permanently damaged with the glue. By using all 3 products (Toppik, Fullmore and the Powder Punch, it looks pretty good I have to say). You get the volume AS WELL as coverage of the scalp. This morning was a breeze - quick blast to dry my hair - upside down, then Toppik and Fullmore, finally raked my hands through with the Powder. All in all it took about 20 minutes. I'm happy with that :)[attachment=0:3n856t8t]IMG-20110908-00440.jpg[/attachment:3n856t8t]

Attached Files:

10. emrob0

emrob0 Guest

Looks great-I can't tell you have hair loss at all. Do you know what sort of hair loss you have/what caused it? Where are you getting your biopsy done? My derm doesn't support them.

11. sa1112

sa1112 Guest

Hi, well I'm trying to upload a picture of my hair without any product but having difficulty - as i think only then you can see the real benefit from the products I use. I went on Tuesday to Leeds general Infirmary (its in the UK for those wondering). The consultant arranged blood tests that day and on the 10th Oct I'm booked in for the biopsy. She said this is to find out exactly what the problem is - so I'm just going along with what she's suggested. I did have some blood tests done with my local GP and the results were 'fine', although the consultant said they don't know what they're looking for - blimey, i feel the GP visit was a waste of time now :). Ok, going to have another go at uploading photo!

12. sa1112

sa1112 Guest

[attachment=0:2lqtcy52]sss11.jpg[/attachment:2lqtcy52] here is my hair in its natural state - took at the hairdressers. Its pretty fine and the back is thinner still but least you get the general idea :).

Attached Files:

13. emrob0

emrob0 Guest

Wow-you really do a great job with the concealers. Was the "natural" photo recently? How long has your loss been going on? Do you think wearing a topper has worsened the loss or has it remained static? Sorry for all the questions! Hope you get some answers from the biopsy. I think obviously dermatologists have different ways of doing things.

14. sa1112

sa1112 Guest

Hi, that photo would have been taken about 8 months ago but my hair is no different to that as it is now. It's the only one I had in my natural state. I had 12 months wearing a topper glued onto my own hair (of which I've commented about on here already) and that really punished my own hair. As the consultant said this week at the hospital, it was the worst thing I could have done. For the last few months I've had micro clips fastening the topper down and that's been fine actually - no problems at all. My decision to stop wearing the topper was primarily that I felt it would be beneficial to kind of 'let the air get to my scalp' sort of thing. Taking into account the results I can get from cosmetic products, I feel i made the right decision. I've always had fine hair - but right now I'd be happy to get back to its original condition before using a topper. I'll be interested to see what the biopsy results are - first question she asked me was did it run in the family. Well, no it doesn't - even my dad who is 75 still has a full head of hair! Aaaagh, no point stressing :)

15. 40introy

40introy Guest

sa1112 - wow the photo of your hair with the products looks fantastic, what a difference! My hair looks like yours in the natural state, and I go to work like that every day, with no products or anything.

I look forward to coloring my hair because it kind of dyes my scalp temporarily so it's not so white and shiny!

16. sa1112

sa1112 Guest

thanks very much 40introy - appreciate that. Would recommend the concealers though - so handy - or even as others mention - a bit of dark brown eyeshadow. Just stops that contrast between dark/medium brown hair and scalp.

lol, I'll get some work done today eventually ......you put a topic up on the forum and then you keep whizzing on to see if anyone has answered (or is that just me!!) :$

17. emrob0

emrob0 Guest

It sounds like your hair may benefit from a break hopefully. With winter coming you can always wear a hat if you feel wobbly one day. Interesting about the topper. I've been looking into hair intergration systems as the loss is affecting life a lot at the mo. One place I visited said having a system could further deteriorate my natural hair but another place said the opposite...hard to know.

18. sa1112

sa1112 Guest

Hi Emrob0,

If i'm being absolutely honest here (and bear in mind this is only my experience), I don't think the topper (mine was called a volumiser) has done me any favours. It was a bit of vanity that made me seek out something to make my hair look better. Prior to the volumiser I wasn't even aware of the concealers etc that were available. If I had been, then I wouldnt have had anything done. All i want now is to get back to my natural fine hair before i started the whole process. Personally, if your hair is similar to mine I wouldnt encourage it. Whilst the micro rings havent caused further hair loss, the hair on the top of my head (the part that is covered by the mesh on the volumiser) is weak, fragile and particularly fine. Anywhere that the mesh doesnt cover is 'normal'. I can't help but think that by not letting the scalp 'breathe' it leads to some deteriation. It's just my own experience - other members may have different takes on this. Hope that helps. Sam

19. RugBug

RugBug Guest

I am most impressed with the volume your products give you! wow!

20. emrob0

emrob0 Guest

Thanks Sam. From the pic you look great without the topper. Will let you know how I go on with the product. Interesting your consultant said the topper was a bad decision....Don't beat yourself up for vanity...it's deeper than that I feel, confidence, paranoia etc. Some days I just want to look like the old me again & get a system done...but I know once down that route it's a big commitment. Have a good weekend.