Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Confused With Diagnoses...any Help Much Appreciated (pics Attached)

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by LHall, Apr 12, 2019.

1. LHall

LHall New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello!

Hoping someone can give me some advice. I’m 32 and from about June last year I noticed quite a large amount of hair loss, wasn’t till Nov that I realised the extent of it when a picture was taken of me from behind and you could see my scalp
    Kind of left it hoping it was just a temp thing, then in Feb this year decided to take action. I read up about female hair loss and decided to start eating more protein (I was vege & vegan for a while) and taking strong hair vitamins (perfectil max). I also started using more natural products, hair masks etc.
    In my panic, I contacted a clinic and they suggested I do an online consultation (they’re in London) sent them pics and description and they diagnosed me with Female Pattern Hair Loss. After this did a lot of research and was upset when I read about it being non-reversible without a constant supply of drugs.
    Shortly after I started noticing tufts of hair and they stuck up no matter how I did my hair (looked like a mad professor!) After more inspection I noticed these hairs all over my hair, with the most growth round my hairline. Although my whole head had thinned I’d been most worried about my crown (can really see scalp) but noticed there were some short hairs there too and right through top of head.
    My question is... how would I see all this growth if I had female pattern baldness?? This clinic diagnosed me but it was online so don’t know what to think. I’m hoping my hair goes back to what it was and I’ve read it can take 7-9 months to see full growth but then again I might still have FPB. Help! Some pics of growth attached.
    All I’ve done in last few months is take vitamins religiously, up protein intake, sort ferritin level out and use more natural products.

Attached Files:

2. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    it sounds like you went through a TE. i would take an online diagnosis with a huge grain of salt, because a doctor has to look at your scalp up close to give you a proper diagnosis.

TinaM1968 and LHall like this.
  3. LHall

LHall New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Grace90, much appreciated. I did read about TE and thought it might be similar to what I was experiencing, may just be a case of waiting it out to see if it resolves. Think I’ve realised there are a lot of places out there that will just try to get money out of this situation! They wanted me to pay £700 for a minoxidil and vitamin plan.

4. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    based on your pictures, i would say you are well into recovery! my advice would be to keep taking the vitamins and protein intake and wait it out.

LHall likes this.
  5. LHall

LHall New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, hearing it from someone else has instantly made me feel better! Going to keep at it

6. Kiki

Kiki New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have androgenic alopecia (FPHL). I’ve also gone through this and unfortunately, for me at least, what looks like growth is always hair that is slowly miniaturizing. So the hair falls, then grows back but shorter. Then falls and grows back again only to an inch or two. Finally falls and grows back as thin wispy hairs if at all.

7. LHall

LHall New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Kiki, can I ask how you were diagnosed? I think for me it’s the not knowing that’s driving me crazy. Did you notice the short hairs falling out?

8. Linz

Linz Member

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with KiKi, hair loss is a slow process. The hairs come back, just smaller.
    Your dermatologist can do a scalp biopsy to confirm if you have androgenic alopecia. Hope for you it is TE

9. LHall

LHall New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Linz. I’m based in the UK, can you advise if I’d need to see a trichologist or do all dermatologists deal with hair issues?
    I hope so too, although I’m determined not to let this stop me living my life.