Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Could this be diffuse alopecia areata?

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by neworiginal, Jul 31, 2011.

1. neworiginal

neworiginal Guest

About 2 years I was going through the most stressful times I have ever had (lost job and relationship ended) one morning I woke up to having a large patch of hair missing from the front of my head, the patch appeared where my hair had always been a bit thinner and I thought this was due to the stress I was undergoing. Well 2 years later the patch is no longer visible thanks to the overall thinning of my hair :sobbing: ALL of my hair has thinned in a diffuse manner. My hair seems to have gradually turned from a dark brown into a light blondish/brownish mix with the occasional copper hair. Along with falling out it seems that all of my hair is shrinking/miniaturizing, and I just noticed 4 nail pits on my pinky and 1 on my index finger. :lost: I have no idea what's wrong with me I have bounced back in forth between it being CTE or Diffuse Alopecia Areata. Any info would be great, I'm turning into a shell of my former self and I can't stand looking at myself in the mirror. I want to return to the life I once had and the only thing stopping me is this gigantic wall of hair loss.

Also can DAA cause hair shrinking/miniaurization?

2. RatsNest

RatsNest Guest

neworiginal

You should definitely go to a doctor and find out what is going on. Have blood work done to check on possible causes for your hair loss and nail pitting. I just read on the AAFP website that nail pitting is a symptom of Alopecia Aereata among other things. Our fingernails can give us clues as to what is going wrong with all sorts of things.

3. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to HA neworiginal :)

I agree that going to a derm is a good idea. It can be hard to distinguish diffuse alopecia areata from TE & often a biopsy will be done to help with a diagnosis.

Some indicators that help with distinguishing between TE and diffuse Alopecia Areata are hairloss on other hair bearing areas , nail involvement such as pitted, brittle and splitting nails & exclamation point hairs (hair that tapers as you get closer to the scalp)

Diffuse Alopecia Areata never results in total baldness but rather an overall thinning of the hair. I'm including a picture for you.

Hope I've helped a bit.

Hugs,
    Joann

Attached Files:

4. Lost

Lost Guest

will biopsy results show diffuse Alopecia Areata ? Can it be missed because of diffuse loss?

5. Martha716

Martha716 Guest

My hair looks a little better than the photo, though the same idea. I think I have Androgenetic Alopecia, though, as the overall texture of the hair is changing, with hair that appears to be more and more fine over the years. Also, I am in my mid-40's so Androgenetic Alopecia makes sense.

Do you think your hair is the same in terms of individual strands being a normal thickness? Or do you think you are getting hair that is finer and finer?

Alopecia Areata would normally not effect the overall texture of the hair that is on your head. You'd have nice, normal hair where you had hair. But with Androgenetic Alopecia the hair goes very fine, like baby hair, and what you think may be "regrowth" is just the finer hair growing in after a "normal" hair has fallen out. :whistle:

6. Lost

Lost Guest

my overall texture has changed fine more wispy.?

7. Martha716

Martha716 Guest

I took a good look at my hair and I want to modify my last post to say that my hair actually looks at least as bad as the photo...possibly worse but it longer so hides it.

Do you mean that your hair is miniaturizing, as in getting finer? More wispy and finer is very Androgenetic Alopecia-like....

8. neworiginal

neworiginal Guest

My hair texture has changed tremendously I can honestly say that not one hair on my body is as thick as it should be, my hair color has also changed from dark brown to light brown/copperish. My body hair has thinned out considerably