Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Cte Shedding Finally Stopped After 3.5 Years

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by patient_flower, Sep 19, 2018.

1. patient_flower

Dislikes Received:
    I do not know if this is truly a success story or not, but for the first time in 3.5 years, my shedding from chronic telogen effluvium has drastically stopped! I’m talking less than 20 hairs per day now (that I count.) I do not have any REGROWTH to speak of, though. I am still happy because less shedding means less panic attacks for me! Less scalp pain!

In my 3.5 year journey I’ve had 6 triggers. Pretty much anything and everything that can induce telogen effluvium WILL for me. (birth control, starting antidepressant, stopping antidepressant, a high fever during a stomach flu, a medical procedure requiring anesthesia) You name it! These triggers have largely been unavoidable, as I have endometriosis which requires trial and error with different medications. My temples got hit the worst, then nape of neck, then side burn area, and pretty much the entire sides of my head. I’ve also had ONE major growth spurt, spring of 2017! That hair was the first to go, though, with a trigger that followed.

About me:

I’m 26. Shedding started at 23, due to a combination of being on lo lo estrin and then taking propanol for anxiety. Other than endometriosis, anxiety, and insomnia, I live a healthy life full of yoga, a good diet, etc. Some depression and isolation, though, due to the hair loss. Shedding was perpetuated by stress, anxiety, and different birth controls and antidepressants needed to treat my endometriosis.

The aftermath:

I have about 25% of my regular hair left. That’s right- 25%. For my TE, I didn’t hang on to ANY regrowth during the 3.5 year period. Don’t be alarmed, though. This isn’t usually the case, and usually with CTE you still continuously grow new hair. I just grew it and lost it every time I had a new trigger. So yeah, what I am left with is 25%. It looks kind of like cotton candy and doesn’t “hang” any particular way. Just kinda floats there like a spider web.. (What is left of it, on the top of my head.)

Things I’ve learned:

1. Vitamins make my shedding worse. YEP! Especially anything with B vitamins, in particular. They make my scalp itch, burn, and turn red. That increases my anxiety and the shedding kicks up. I truly don’t believe in high doses of the B vitamins. Most of us aren’t deficient.

2. The only deficiencies I have that could be preventing regrowth are low zinc and ferritin of 50. I NEED to correct those, but every time I supplement the shedding gets worse. I’m trying to titrate upwards- small doses increased over time- so my body can get used to it. I’d like to enjoy my low shed and low anxiety for some time before this.

3. Antidepressants mess with your hormones in some way. I have regular periods but when I started, stopped, or changed dose of Lexapro, it threw my entire cycle off drastically. I had other hormonal side effects like bloating, etc. The BIGGEST and most dramatic shed I had was coming OFF of Lexapro Jan 2018. I’m talking ALL of my regrowth from Spring 2017- GONE- in less than a month.

4. Just because you are eating protein doesn't mean you are absorbing it. I have low stomach acid and have been supplementing with Beatine HCL with pepcin. My shedding slowed shortly after starting this! Hmmm. J It helps you absorb proteins from your food. Don’t try this without doing your homework, though!

5. TE WEAKENS YOUR HAIR. After one TE I think your hair is just weaker and more prone to TE again. It is very, very important to avoid triggers if possible, I believe for your whole next hair cycle. Hair cycle varies from person to person but can be 4-8 years.

6. BE KIND TO YOURSELF! In the first 2.5 years, my hair loss really wasn’t noticeable to anyone but me. I wish I had been kinder to myself and not tortured myself over it. I had stopped seeing friends and isolated myself over it from ages 23-25 which I regret. Now it IS noticeable at age 26, but I handle it a bit better, but I feel I’ve missed out on my early twenties, which is my biggest regret. I’ve given up on the hair ever truly going back to normal, as I have endometriosis which is a life-long disease and requires surgeries and such. I use a ton of hair fillers now.

7. My regrowth probably isn’t going to come until I reduce stress. I have chronic insomnia and anxiety which I can’t fix. (thousands spent on therapy, drugs, home remedies, light boxes, sleep studies, etc etc etc.) I just try to cope with life the best I can.

The plan ahead:

For now the shedding has stopped, so maybe this will set me on the right path! Less shedding= less anxiety attacks! I'm continuing on with my bone broth, beatine hcl with pepcin, micro supplementation of zinc, and high fat/protein low sugar diet.

Anytime in the past that my shed has slowed down, I’ve gotten super impatient about my regrowth and started a new vitamin or diet regime and would kick off more anxiety or shedding. This time I am hanging tight and not doing anything drastic. Truly I’ve found the best remedies are: stress reduction, a healthy diet full of protein, fats, and enough carbs, and time. With TE I truly believe LESS IS MORE.

Best of luck to everyone <3 Feel free to ask questions. I'm going to be on here til I see regrowth for a couple years.

sunlit, TinaM1968, Gina and 1 other person like this.
  2. Kelant

Kelant New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your post, it's good for us all to share experiences good and bad. Shedding is a very stressful experience and I so wish that mine would just stop, it has barely stopped in 2 and a half years now!
    I think its so important to reduce stress as much as possible, although easier said than done at times! But meditation, yoga, positive thinking, anything to be calm and take focus away from hair.
    It really helps to read others experiences, especially when you can show that there may be light at the end of the tunnel
    Thank you for sharing

Gina likes this.
  3. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:

4. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi patient flower ,if you live where medical marijuana is available ,it is an amazing,natural medicine.It can be eaten or Vapes in Florida it's helping Alot of people.

5. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    So great to hear your shedding has stopped! Wishing you lots and lots of healthy regrowth!

Silvi likes this.
  6. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:
    Cortisol levels,,,,it's easy...we got to control the levels....

TinaM1968 likes this.
  7. Bluelilac

Bluelilac New Member

Dislikes Received:
    TinaM1968, what are your cortisol levels? I have high cortisol and am being evaluated for Cushing's Disease although I don't look anything like a Cushing's patient at 100 lbs. I am losing my hair though. Recently my massive hair shedding stopped, but my sides have been thinning and temples are receding and balding. I do not have high androgen, but you are right that cortisol raises androgens. It does this through rising the precursor hormone DHEAS, which converts to either estrogen or testosterone. When my cortisol is high, my dheas shoots up but never out of range and my free T and bioavailable T are always in range because my sex hormone binding globulin always is very high when my cortisol is elevated. I'm assuming it is my liver naturally responding to the excess T, so the SHBG increases to soak up any excess.

I have high cortisol levels in blood, urine, and midnight salivas. I've done tons of research on cortisol and the HPA axis. I think psuedo cushing's is a lot more common than believed or known. I think my cortisol regulation issues stem from years and years of untreated OCD, anxiety, chronic stress, depression, and body dysmorphic disorder, also on and off eating disordered behaviors like restricting and binging. Thanks to my high cortisol, i developed high blood sugar, but only when my cortisol is high, when it's not my glucose reacts normally! I have a whole array of disturbing high cortisol symptoms.

How are you working to regulate yours? Just working on reducing stress?

TinaM1968 likes this.
  8. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder if medical marijuana could play a big role in keeping our anxiety down cortisol down,I swear it helps with hair growth.only problem it's expensive.I f I could afford to have it all the time I think my hair loss would straighten out.

9. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes,its amazing probably because it relaxes your mind and body I can't believe the number of elderly people at the dispensary Now that's a Cool Granny! But seriously when I can have it consistently I am noticing alot of growth and this time it's black not white....

10. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:
    I lost all my hair every one about 3 times since I got attacked by a dog year and a half ago ,I'm bald in patches now,growing back different this time

11. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:

12. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Tina the derm says it's alopecia but he did say it's from the trama ,I also had a heart attack that day 4 days later huge 4 inch patch of waist length hair gone then all came out .I was just looking at ECG I had in August and it says some scary stuff ,I only saw one cardiologist for 5 mins , still trying to get Medicare ,

13. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:
    My guess is my cortisol went through the roof and so did my BP,couldnt scream the dogs off ,you got bit at 4 oh my

14. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh no Tina anytime . sorry I didn't read it sooner .awe you poor thing that's all too much...my one sister is there for me ,the rest of my family is avoiding me ,they live up north when I hear my brother the doctor is in town and has no interest in seeing me it hurts. People like Happy people with money...don't get down they will run! And that's why I love my saint Bernard so much ...no that unconditional love ...your lucky to be married I can't imagine it now

15. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:
    Research the medical marijuana...it's powerful also wheatgrass is great too .I buy the wheat berry seeds at health food store.i need to get some going only takes 2 weeks and it's some amazing stuff.your the first person I've really communicated with on here it's Great! Maybe we can inspire each other...what state do you live in I'm in sunny Florida lol

16. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:
    That's cool my family is in Pittsburgh we have gone to sea isle city for vacation it was nice different from Florida beaches...hope your having a nice Friday I've been working in my garden all day it sooths my nerves gonna make some tea and wait for my daughter to get home today is good...glad to know I'm not the only one in the world that is going through this.... somehow it gives me hope that we will be ok,we will figure out how to overcome this,trust me no one knows how this feels unless they are experiencing it,and maybe we drive them nuts! Ok well if you want to laugh imagine them bald!

17. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Gina, try a very strong Valeriana tea. It is legal everwhere, cheap and yes does calm down a lot. Comes also in drops mixed with a very storng alcohol (70 %) which has to be dilluted with wather, but pure strong tea (fm the Valerana roots) I would say works beter.

18. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you I will try it...and cheaper than other stuff,ill get some tomorrow

19. Gina

Gina Member

Dislikes Received:
    Listen to how to reprogram your thinking by rock Thomas ... inspiration...helps his stories are soothing

20. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    How are you doing patient flower? Your hairloss pattern does like how mine started, temples then nape sides, all over.

#20 TinaM1968, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019