Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

deformed hairs

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by fleur1979, Jun 3, 2012.

1. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,

I wonder about something and hope some of you have some information on this.

I have a lot of deformed hairs. They are much thicker than my normal hairs, extremely caurse, a little kinked and they are white (my normal hair colour is brown). They look like white straw on my head and they are very easily pulled out. Even putting oil or conditioner on them will nog make them less course. They look really ugly and are not straight like my natural hair. I have not coloured my hair in two years, but it looks like hair that has been severly damaged.

I don't get these hairs. I have a lot of them, especially on top near my bangs where my hair loss is worst.

Does any of you know what causes this??

2. fleur1979

Dislikes Received:
    nobody has a clue?? :(

3. Din

Din Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Fleur,

I just wanted to mention that when you have a TE, especially a long one, the hair follicle goes through crazy cycles thus producing corky coarse hair that is totally not like your own hair. The hair follicle goes through several cycles before producing a normal hair fiber. only some of the hair follicles will do that and it is very common with Te, Or CTE. My hair specialits told me that when I asked him about it, because I too experienced this. Its just part of all this crap guess.

any slow down in your shed? Hwo much do you lose per day? Per wash? are you losing brows and lashes also?

dont worry about all this. apperently it is totally normal getting those when we have this awful crazy hair loss..

Din

4. fleur1979

Dislikes Received:
    Din, thanks for your reply...

My regrowth hair looks healthy, but i am losing them. The longer hairs are the crazy hairs... and the lack any colour.
    So confusing..

My shed is still too high, it just won't stop.... :(

Not losing eyebrows or eyelashes...

How is your shed??

5. fleur1979

Dislikes Received:
    tried to make a pictures of those hairs...

Thick, colourless and easy to be pulled out... Like they aren't stuck on my scalp...

I have hundreds of them on top of my head... They look lifeless..

Attached Files:

6. fleur1979

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Vlal, for that information...

The only difference is that my kinked hairs are extremely thick instead of thin.... Because they all fall out i collected them to bring to my new dermatologist appointment next week. I am not expecting him to know what it is, but can try it at least...

Thanks again for those links...

7. Vlal

Vlal Guest

Ahhh, let me know what the doctor says (if anything!). I would like to think that thick = better than thin!

8. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've wondered about those too. I've always had them (though they aren't white or grey), but my mother has always had them too and she doesn't have any issues with hair loss. Maybe it's unrelated?

9. fleur1979

Dislikes Received:
    They look like a bleached them 100 times and are overprocessed.. But i never coloured my hair...
    ???!!!!!

Thick seems better than thin, but they fall out easily... ??

10. fleur1979

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, thanks for you reply.. I thought i read that before somewhere..
    I eat healthy and a lot!! (only i am not a big meat eater, but i eat a lot of vegy-food with iron etc. in it). I should gain weight, but i eat a lot and it seems i am not able to gain any weight. I am 104 lbs

I was thinking about a connection between this, but seems that no doctor want to hear this... I thought maybe i am not absorbing the food or something!!??? (not sure if something like that is possible). :dunno:

Because my TSH is around 4.2, one doctor told me that most people gain weigh when TSH is (a little higher), but that some people can actually lose the ability to gain weight... I am not sure if this is true... I am thinking more and more it can be a thyroid problem, since i seem to have all the other symptoms, but hard to get a proper thyroid-diagnoses here...

They did check my vitamins and minerals, everything was fine except copper was too low. (But they told me that could not be the cause)..

11. Kelly7

Kelly7 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    The kinky hairs described in this topic sound like the kind of hair one would get sometimes with vitiligo.

When my hair started to grow back earlier this year, I got several patches of white, thick hairs. Many have a coarse, kinky texture. I personally believe biotin triggered their growth.