Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Derm sais TE, can he tell just by looking at hair for 2 min?

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by soflagirl, Jun 17, 2008.

1. soflagirl

soflagirl Guest

I notice now that I just have overall less hair then I used to have and the only part that it seems to be receding is in the top front. I've been told by my primary physician that this is Traction Alopecia which I know comes from pulling my hair back tightly in a ponytail or bun every day for a long time. I see little hairs sprouting up as if I broke a lot of hairs and now they are growing back but it doesnt seem to be enough to cover the overall "see-thru" effect that I notice in the top front of my head where you can see scalp through my hair, albeit not a lot but enough for me to notice the difference. Does this sound like traction alopecia to you all? Or could it be something more?

2. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

Re: Traction Alopecia or could it be something more???

how often and how tight do you pull your hair back? I think people that have braids and such are the ones most likely to get traction alopecia. Can you take a picture and show us? It could be anything really....are you shedding more than normal? Did you recently have a major event in your life? Have you changed your diet? Switched birth control? Are all your blood levels normal?

3. soflagirl

soflagirl Guest

I did it everyday for YEARS and YEARS mostly for work and wouldn't loosen it until night time when I got home. Since my primary physician told me this, I don't do it anymore, at worst I put my hair in a very loose ponytail. I don't have access to a pic here but can post one later today when I get home. I was shedding for a while more than normal which I thought came from some diet pills I took that I ended up reading after the fact was causing people to lose hair. My doctor put me on B-12 and Omega III pills and that seemed to have slowed down the shedding. I seem to go through phases where I shed more at one time than another. My dermatologist simply looked me over quickly and told me to use the Womens Rogaine for that area, said it was tellogen effluvium, and to go back in 6 months. Is there anything other than just looking at my head that they should have done? My primary care physician ran all the bloodwork to make sure it wasn't anything medical and everything came back fine. I have set up another appt. with another dermatologist for next week and would like to know if I should request something more from them? Or ask any additional questions?

4. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

well, honestly, I dont think doctors can tell by just looking if you have Androgenetic Alopecia, TE, or diffuse Alopecia Areata. They can all look alike. I would ask the doctor "How can you tell by looking, when all three types of hair loss can look alike?" Then see what he/she says.....It is rediculous that they think they can diagnose by looking at your hair. Unless its Alopecia Areata or a scarring alopecia, I do not think they can tell the difference.
    Make sure your hormones were tested and your thyroid....

5. angieangie

angieangie Guest

If you noticed a difference in shedding after starting b-12 and omega 3 then I wouldn't think it was traction alopecia. Sounds like it would be TE, but the fact that it's in the front sounds more like Androgenetic Alopecia.

6. hairyape

hairyape Guest

Honestly, I feel that the "see-through" condition is not entirely typical of traction alopecia.

7. angieangie

angieangie Guest

Yeah, and I don't think traction alopecia would only affect the top. It would probably me your whole hairline around your head since you said you were wearing a tight ponytail.

8. soflagirl

soflagirl Guest

Actually it is a general thinning all over my head with the emphasis in the front crown but the top front is the only area where I notice the "see through" area however I do feel in general that I have a thinner ponytail than before. I did have thyroid and hormones tested by my primary physician and all is normal. I will post pics tonight when I get home to give all of u better idea.

9. soflagirl

soflagirl Guest

I tried to add the pics but wasnt able to. Could someone please let me know how to do it? Thanks!!!

10. soflagirl

soflagirl Guest

11. angieangie

angieangie Guest

That reaally doesn't look like traction alopecia. I don't think a ponytail would cause loss at the top middle. It looks more like telogen effluvium to me.

12. hairyape

hairyape Guest

My opinion is that it's not traction alopecia.

13. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

:agree:

14. soflagirl

soflagirl Guest

My primary doctor thought it was the traction but the dermatologist had said telogen effluvium but he was the one who said it by just looking at my head for 1 min. So I have made another derm. appt for next week. If it is TE is there someplace here I can get more info on it to know exactly what I can do to help it? I'm sorry I'm so clueless about all of this, this is all very new to me.

15. soflagirl

soflagirl Guest

Is Telogen Effluvium reversible? Does it eventually stop? Will the hair I've lost grow back?

16. Re: Traction Alopecia or could it be something more???

If it is TE then it should grow back yes. Look at mine and Nesi's pics - we both believe we have TE.
    Yours doesn't look like traction to me - but I couldn't tell you what it is. Androgenetic Alopecia, TE etc can all look so similar!

17. soflagirl

soflagirl Guest

The derm said it was TE, my primary doctor said I had some Traction Alopecia in the front. Either way, I'm going for a second opinion to another derm next week as my derm only looked at my hair for 2 min before determining I had TE and I would feel more comfortable with a little more extensive check up. But thank you for all the information. I must learn to bring down my stress level, I have tons of it and I've read that is a major factor of TE.

18. dying curls

dying curls Guest

it does not look like traction to me either..your hairline seems intact...
    if you did not tell me you had hair loss i would not know..unless i had known you before and could notice the difference.

19. soflagirl

soflagirl Guest

Thank you dying curls. Actually not even the people who know me can tell the difference, but I can and that is what is making me nuts. That and the fact that if it is TE, I'm not certain what triggered it, so how can I make it stop???

20. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

If you have been shedding it could be TE. It looks like my loss, you said most noticeable up top and up front. I have Androgenetic Alopecia and TE. If it is TE the shedding will eventually stop once the trigger is resolved. In kitkats case, it was iron. If its Androgenetic Alopecia, you will need to treat it as that.
    If it is TE you cant really do anytihng to stop the shedding, unless you have a medical problem causing it. TE usually always grows back.