Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Derm sais TE, can he tell just by looking at hair for 2 min?

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by soflagirl, Jun 17, 2008.

1. soflagirl

soflagirl Guest

Not to upset anyone at all by saying this but in your case BH, I think you may have overmedicated yourself. One of the main reasons the doctor says that treatment should start slow and simple is so that you know what is working and what is not. When you hit the problem from many different directions, you may be taking one thing that is doing you good and something else that is doing you bad but since you are taking them all at the same time, you dont know which is which.

Also, although there is no doubt in my mind that many of the ladies here know ALOT more than MOST people about hair loss, treatments etc. I would still always recommend the opinion of an expert such as Dr. R or another doctor like him. I think any medication should be prescribed by a doctor that should know more than we do. And if the doctor you see doesn't, then we should keep on searching until one appears that does, because then at least you have someone to go to to discuss your concerns when you feel your situation is getting worse and a different course of action can be prepared.

2. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I so agree. I had been basically treating myself for two years with no results. Now that I have seen Dr Redmond I wish I had done it at the beginning of this nightmare when I didn't even know he existed. I was just trying stuff randomly and probably taking and spending money on things I don't need, like androgen blockers, which now I need to stay on for now.

3. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

sofla and Deede

Thank you for your replys. they mean so much!!!!
    I quit Diane yesterday. I know DIane is at least one of the problems because before I started the avodart my hair was getting worse on diane alone, faster than it had prior. The avodart could be whats making me shed but I am going to take it still, every other day and see if my shed lessens without the diane. I have yasmin but dont know if I should take it immediately or wait...I cant afford to fly out to Redmond.. :( my only option is to try yasmin and Spironolactone and if they dont help then nothing will.

4. Katy

Katy Guest

Re: Traction Alopecia or could it be something more???

I had the same problem myself.

I lost about 80 percent of my hair two months after three major operations. I collected a gallon-sized zip lock bag stuffed full of my hair from my last shampoo and went to the derm (who, by the way, is as bald as an egg.)

I thought it was TE, but I really wanted some official reassurance. Dr. Bald said, the good news is that it's TE, the bad news is that you also have alopecia! I said, how can you tell that?? I never got an answer, except that he thinks cause he's Uncle Fester that makes him an expert.

He did a hair pull and pronounced me a TE sufferer, but that I also had alopecia.

Kind of had to see how he knew that, when I was so bald already.

5. soflagirl

soflagirl Guest

This is why I personally agree with the scalp biopsies. Whether the answer is good or bad, at least you know for sure what you have. One derm told me I had TE, had I simply listened to him and not to pursued it further, my situation would have probably gotten much worse. I went to another derm who did the biopsy which came back suggestive of Androgenetic Alopecia and although the dignosis sucks, I'm actually addressing it now versus simply waiting and hoping for my TE to go away...................................

6. michelesmith

michelesmith Guest

i agree doctors do need to be involved BUT you may have to search and continuously go until you find the right one, this is probably my 15+ doctor ive gone to since my hair loss began so many years ago, the derm i went to 6 months ago said oh its Androgenetic Alopecia, Alopecia Areata and part of your aging -NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, the endo did extensive testing and found the problems , the derm gave me Spironolactone, the endo said its a good thing i didnt take it definitely not the right meds for whats going on in my body so there will be a doctor to help you bunny its a matter of finding one, i think the best thing is to go off the meds give your body a few months break and then test hormones thyroid etc with an endo and see what happens (or a good derm who knows hair loss)

7. Greatgran01

Greatgran01 Guest

Hi there I also went to two drs. One after having to ask her to do blood tests gave me the form but said if you dont want to do them you dont have to as it is just stress. She went through my hair and said no sign of alopecia. Second dr also went through hair said no sign of alopecia she thought stress to. My blood tests were fine but she didn't test for thyroid till I asked her. They came back fine. Went to Dermatologist who asked questions and then looked in hair said scalp was fine it was telogen effluvium and it would settle on its own. Been shedding for 5 months now and hair is thin. I went to my hairdresser when it first started falling and she said no sigh of alopecia. She thought would settle in 3 months. Have not touched my hair since as to scared to have it cut or do anything with it. Absolutely hate hair wash days as know more will fall. I had a small thin strip down the back when I first noticed it but it but hair has got thin all over now.The hair seems to have grown longer over first thin strip and covered it but it isnt regrowth just grown longer.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi there I am 65 and started shedding hair suddenly in January this year. Went to my hairdresser who said there was no sign of Alopecia so let her cut it. She thought normal shedding and thought would settle in 3 months. Started taking hair nail and skin tablets but not sure these did any good. In Feb went to see a dr who also looked in scalp she also said no sign of Alopecia it was just stress relaed. She took blood tests and all were normal, but she didn't take thyroid had to ask for it. That was normal. Asked about hormone test and was told didn't need it at my age. After 2 months went to another dr also looked in scalp and said it was stress related and would settle. She also looked in scalp said no sign of Alopecia. In May saw a dermatolost he asked a few Questions and went right through my scalp with these goggle things on and said scalp was perfect. So he said was TE. NO scalp biopsy or strand test. The strands I lose are long ones and have a very tiny small white ball on the end.Though very small it is on the end. In January noticed a small thinning patch down the back but hair at top has grown down now and covered it for now. My hair is thin all over and if you run fingers through it there is usually about 2 to 4 hairs in fingers all have white ball on end. Not sure if it has regrowth but have noticed a few hairs down the middle and faceline that range from half an inch to maybe one and a half inches.Have been told by a hairdresser to take vitamin B! for 3 months and that should help. But haven't as yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi there I am 65 and started shedding hair suddenly in January this year. Went to my hairdresser who said there was no sign of Alopecia so let her cut it. She thought normal shedding and thought would settle in 3 months. Started taking hair nail and skin tablets but not sure these did any good. In Feb went to see a dr who also looked in scalp she also said no sign of Alopecia it was just stress relaed. She took blood tests and all were normal, but she didn't take thyroid had to ask for it. That was normal. Asked about hormone test and was told didn't need it at my age. After 2 months went to another dr also looked in scalp and said it was stress related and would settle. She also looked in scalp said no sign of Alopecia. In May saw a dermatolost he asked a few Questions and went right through my scalp with these goggle things on and said scalp was perfect. So he said was TE. NO scalp biopsy or strand test. The strands I lose are long ones and have a very tiny small white ball on the end.Though very small it is on the end. In January noticed a small thinning patch down the back but hair at top has grown down now and covered it for now. My hair is thin all over and if you run fingers through it there is usually about 2 to 4 hairs in fingers all have white ball on end. Not sure if it has regrowth but have noticed a few hairs down the middle and faceline that range from half an inch to maybe one and a half inches.Have been told by a hairdresser to take vitamin B! for 3 months and that should help. But haven't as yet.