Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Dermatitis and Hair Loss

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by viinca, Mar 9, 2016.

1. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    hello all

I finally went to the dermatologist, who after pulling at my hair and looking at my scalp birefly, has diagnosed Dermatitis.

From personal extensive research, I already suspected I had this, and it started 3 months ago when the hair fall suddenly appeared. My conditions are:

• a greasy scalp, whereas I used to be able to wash my hair every 5-6 days
    • a very itchy, irritated scalp - constantly. Ketocozanol made it worse, the cold outside makes my head super sensitive, and my head rubbing on my pillow causes itching. All this occurred within the last 3 months only.
    • overall hair loss, but also in patchy areas at the back of my head. I still lose as much hair as when it first started.

I was prescribed betnovate which is a steroid/cortisone cream, to use every day for two weeks. I am super worried about using this. I was also told the hair loss will continue until the Dermatitis goes, which may or may not go. It's a chronic and repetitive condition, apparently. Boohoo.

Does anyone else suffer from a similar condition? Mine literally just appeared three months ago. I suspect it is either a delayed (1-2 months) reaction to bleaching and dying my hair in November, OR using a lot of oil on my scalp in January ('hot oil treatment"...).

Today is a sad, sad day :(

2. DisTressing

DisTressing Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Did you change anything else in your routine that comes anywhere near your scalp in the last 3 months, such as shampoo, laundry detergent, soap, hair spray..anything? My feeling is this not a delayed reaction to anything because the skin should react within a short time frame to any irritant, and then clear up when it is no longer exposed to the irritant. Are you supposed to apply this cream all over your scalp? If that's the case, I would start with a tiny patch and see if there is any reaction for a week.

3. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am supposed to apply one/two fingertip's worth from what I have read, very thinly on the scalp. I've heard such bad reviews of steroid creams, so I haven't even tried it yet.

As I change country, a lot of things were happening and changes occurring at once - it could be anything! From what I can think of occurring close to the time I contacted this

- I used Olaplex Step 3 twice over December (it worked beautifully for my ends) which was bought on Amazon
    - I tried a hot oil treatment twice, where the oil was left overnight on my scalp (Jojoba)
    - I had changed shampoo in November and conditioner in December, but both were quickly stopped in January as soon as this began. Since, I have only used gentle shampoos.
    - I live in an area with very, very soft water, so it cannot be that
    - I started Hair and Nails supplements and Fish Liver Oil in December, surely that could not have caused dermatitis
    - no hormonal changes as I am still on the same pill, yasmin

thanks for your help!

4. DisTressing

Dislikes Received:
    I would try a small section of the scalp first so if you do react, you will be able to control the extent of a reaction. I am not the foremost authority on skin conditions, but I am a sufferer of a staggering array of skin sensitivities, so I know it is often difficult and sometimes impossible to pinpoint any specific trigger. I hope you can get rid of it quickly. I don't think supplements could cause this reaction, but you never know. Allergies are bizarre. If it was me, I would temporarily stop anything I started in the identified timeframe that this started happening. I would not leave anything on my scalp, either overnight or for any other extended period of time. Keep it free of all types of product residue, especially when you are using this cream. I hope this will work!

5. MeliM

MeliM Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've had Sebhorric Dermatitis for at least a year now . At first I was told it was dandruff . Then saw another Derm and he told me it is Dermatitis . He prescribed me the steroid shamp and cond also a leave in and it just made it worse so now I'm just living with it unfortunately :(

6. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    Omg really? That is so worrying to hear :( What are your symptoms? I will go insane if I have to endure any more of this, it has literally taken over my life!!!

7. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Same here! Going on 4 years and has taken over my life. Not one day I have gone without researching this and trying new things. I now have a facebook group fpr Scalp SD. If you want the link I can post it. My scalp is also worse in the cold/wind/ stores/ winter/dust/mold to name a few...I think its more allergies for me. I want my life back! Have you moved at all recently?

8. MeliM

MeliM Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I know i'm sorry . It really is such a mess to deal with :/ As of right now my only symptom is the build up . If I scratch my head there will be white build up underneath my finger nails. Also i'm sure it's caused extra hair loss . At points through out the year my scalp would burn in the shower when I'd wash my hair and also be really itchy. When I used the steroid shamp & leave in ointment it made the burning worse & seemed to make the build up worse to. The derm had prescribed me Fluconazole a anti fungal cause I guess Dermatitis is fungal related but I was to scared to take it as I took a antifungal a couple years back and it threw me into a major hair shedding episode errr sorry I wish I had some advice of something that would help you . I'm still looking for it to

- - - Updated - - -

I moved about 2 years ago but just like 20 mins from where I used to live. We put a soft water softener set up. Just in case it was the water but I have yet to notice any difference

9. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    I moved to Spain from the UK in July but this only started to happen in January. I wake up every morning with my scalp feeling sensitive and greasy... I spend every day researching about it! I hate reading that people never get rid of this, it's so upsetting.

10. MeliM

MeliM Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly can't say that I've tried everything I can to rid myself of the Dermatitis . I tried a grapefruit juice concoction Pintrest suggested and was that a mistake my head was on fire and I lost like 100 hairs at once . Then I tried the steroid shamp / leave in from the Derm and that also made me worse . That's been at least 8 months ago and I've tried nothing since. Because I'm scared of loosing more hair and making it worse. I have a yearly physical & check up with a Naturopathic Doctor on Monday I'm going to ask her if she knows anything about the Sebhorric Dermatitis and what she suggests . I know she's going to probably say never use steroid anything! I will let you guys know if she has any suggestions ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and me being scared of more hair loss is another reason I don't have the guts to try Rogaine . I guess it doesn't matter at this moment since I couldn't use it right now with having the Dermatitis :/

11. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I had dermatitis when I was diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia. I am not sure what brought it on but hair will not grow until this is cleared up. I used the ketoconazole shampoo that was prescribed by my doctor, and it cleared it up. :) I didn't like using it but it did make the itch/pain go away. You are wrong about not being able to use Rogaine with the dermatitis. Yes you can but you need to also treat the dermatitis...! That is top priority. Mine went away and has never come back. (Crosses fingers) I can always feel an itch when I feel stressed, so I try my best to destress, and I run cold water on my scalp when I shower.

Best of luck,

Michelle

12. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    MeliM please let me know what the naturopathic doctor said! :)

13. MeliM

MeliM Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Viinca. Thank you for asking :) Well the ND said that I should put warm coconut oil on my scalp and leave it for about a half hour then wash with my Shampoo and really scrub my scalp . She said it looks like my scalp is really dry . I honestly don't think she's very familiar with Sebhorric Dermatitis . I tried the coconut oil several months ago and my scalp was on fire and I lost a lot a lot of hair when I washed it out. So I wouldn't recommend doing this for SD . Before I had SD I used coconut oil and had no problems . I'm going to have some blood work done . Just the usual Thyroid , tsh , vit D etc . Might as well haven't blood work done for over a year and never from her so we'll see what she says :/

14. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    Coconut oil is great for any other kind of inflammation... its extremely bad for SD because its an oil - it will feed the fungus. The fact that your scalp is aggravated by the coconut oil proves that you have an overabundance of the Malassezia fungus.

Natural remedies that have worked for me (a little) have been ACV and Rosemary oil. Though the ACV I have is not the raw kind like the US Braggs brand (I live in Spain), so it doesn't work as well. Im looking into getting a bunch of the medicated shampoos without sulfates right now.

Hope the blood tests go well!

15. Stonefox

Stonefox Member

Dislikes Received:
    I had this. Used to wash my hair twice a week. Then one day my scalp was itchy and burned. Got greasy the day after washing it. Head was sore, also felt like my hair was sore. Lost loads of hair. Doctors prescribed me betnovate, nizoral. And after that two more steroids. They helped with the itching. However once I stopped that returned. Along with steroid withdrawal, or otherwise known as red skin syndrome. I came to the conclusion I have female pattern hairloss. Along with whatever else makes the itching. My mum has exactly the same pattern of hair loss. I found what helps with the itchyness and stopping my hair get greasy as quickly was cutting out pasta and refined carbs/sugar. My scalp doesn't itch as much as it used to.

16. MeliM

MeliM Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you, Yes the coconut oil tore my scalp up. I actually have a bottle of Bragg's ACV in my pantry. I've been thinking about using it but with all the bad luck I've had I've been to scared :( There's a site called justnatural.com that has a ACV rinse that may help I've thought about trying .

- - - Updated - - -

I also have Androgenetic Alopecia . But got the Dermatitis about 2 years in . I believe the steroids I was given was Clobetesol . Really made it worse for me :/

17. DisTressing

Dislikes Received:
    was the coconut oil too hot? You really shouldn't "scrub" your scalp, especially if you suffer any sort of scalp condition. I think this irritated the scalp after putting oil on it , letting it sit and then shampooing. Imo, the ND really gave terrible advice on this one. no wonder your scalp seemed torn up and dry. I don't suffer from any scalp problems but I do suffer from super-reactive skin. I am about to try a truly all natural shampoo bar soap made from carrier oils only, with no added fragrances, essential oils, coloring / dye, or preservatives. It's just saponified oils. If it works for me I'll write a post about it. Saw some testimonials about it helping with eczema and seb derm, depending on the shampoo bar you order. Really hopeful about this as I am unable to use any commercial shampoo.

18. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have read sun exposure is GREAT for seb derm.

19. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    This is exactly my type of hair loss, and exactly how it began. How come you think the hair loss is Androgenetic Alopecia and not related to SD? I have also been prescribed betnovate, but how do I use it? I'm so scared of starting it!! If your scalp responds well to cutting out carbs and sugar then you definitely have a yeast infection causing the SD.

20. Stonefox

Stonefox Member

Dislikes Received:
    I thought for soooo long that my hairloss was related to SD. I had so much hope. It was only through looking up different types of hairloss that I came to that conclusion. Looking back at old pics before I noticed any loss I had the typical 'Christmas tree' parting where it gets wider and wider. Now my hair loss looks exactly like female hairloss whenever I google pics. If I lift my hair up my whole right side you can see through to all of my scalp. Also my mum has it. In exactly the same pattern. Even our scalp looks the same. She has no itching or greasy hair. I feel maybe I have SD on top of female pattern. Even though it doesn't itch anymore so much I have had zero regrowth. No hair is growing back. So I guess I have to accept fate. I noticed hair loss at 25 but looking back at pics it probably began at 23 :-(

- - - Updated - - -

How would I get rid of yeast in my scalp without using steroids?