Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Dermatitis and Hair Loss

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by viinca, Mar 9, 2016.

1. ElPatoEllington

ElPatoEllington Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've tried Head and Shoulders, Nizoral (1%), tea tree oil and T-Gel, all with little effect in reducing my dandruff/ dermatitis. I have spots on my scalp, mostly on the sides under a few layers of hair, where the dandruff/ sebum seems to get caked on to the root of the hair and chokes out the strand. When the hair comes out with this big sebum plug attached to the end. I have no idea what to do and today I got desperate and put some benzoyl peroxide acne cream on one of these areas. I figured that since it helps with my acne maybe it'll do....something? I know benzoyl peroxide bleaches but this is under other hair and my hair is already kind of light on its own. I'd rather have bleached hair than no hair!? I'll let you know if anything good happens.

Also I'm trying to cut out refined carbs and sugars as well, but I had a big piece of pecan pie with cool whip for breakfast so obviously that's going badly.

2. MeliM

MeliM Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    The coconut oil was room temperature. It really was such a bad Idea :( please let me know if the bar soap helps you .

- - - Updated - - -

I cut out sugar breads etc but didn't notice a difference so I said forget it I'm gonna eat what I want lol I had to stop stressing so much on food :/

3. DisTressing

DisTressing Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    The all natural soap was fabulous for my skin..unfortunately my hair hated it. Supposedly there is a transition phase from "regular" shampoo to the shampoo bar that is made only from saponified oils. It is supposed to leave a residue until the hair adjusts after a couple of uses. On the website it says that two uses isn't enough time to allow for your hair to adjust to the new shampoo, but I couldn't hack it past two uses. There was a hard, soap scum residue in my comb that I had to scrape off and my hair was coated with a very dulling wax and looked horrible.

The second time, I tried with a baking soda rinse as advised by the company. That was even worse..the ends were so tangled and dry I couldn't even get a comb through them, and everything else was even greasier. They also recommended using an apple cider vinegar rinse which I've tried in the very recent past, which just makes my hair shed more, has a terrible smell and irritates my facial skin. I know that there are people out there for whom the natural shampoo bars work. The "shampoo" I used before I started trying this isn't even a shampoo, it's a hypoallergenic handsoap with zero sulfates, silicones, etc. and only a couple of ingredients, so I don't believe there was that much build up to cause this sort of major transitional issue. I need to continue my search :(

4. MeliM

MeliM Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sorry the soap didn't work for you :( That's what makes me weary of trying new products . But low and behold I'm going to try another new one . My friend who also has Androgenetic Alopecia started using Pura D'or Argan oil hairloss Shampoo and says she loves it ! It's all natural so I don't think it should agrivate our Dermatitis .

5. DisTressing

Dislikes Received:
    It's all a matter of what works for you. So many products labeled all natural usually are chock full of preservatives, dyes and other chemicals because there aren't any strict laws governing the use of that term. Also, products that really are all natural can contain a lot of plant based oils and extracts, many of which are known irritants that can cause contact dermatitis. You should experiment and try one thing at a time so you can be sure what works for you. Good luck!

6. ElPatoEllington

ElPatoEllington Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone tried an oral anti fungal like ketoconazole or itraconazole?

7. MeliM

MeliM Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I was prescribed oral Fluconazole by the Dermatologist but didn't take it because the last time I took an oral antifungal it threw me into a really really bad shed that lasted 3 weeks :(

8. Chelle7198

Chelle7198 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    What is your fb group?

9. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
  10. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    Who here has tried a sea salt scrub? i refuse to believe this is a chronic/ongoing situation to live with forever. it appeared out of nowhere so there must be a cause :s

11. rachelscott8585

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Viinca,

I tried Lush's Sea Salt shampoo and I didn't really notice a change to my scalp. I keep reading about Christophe Robin's Cleansing Purifying Scrub and it sounds promising, but it's expensive. I'm tired of spending so much money on products that don't do anything. I'm using Davine's Oi Shampoo, and I think I'll stick with it because my scalp seems happiest when I use it. I don't have dermatitis, but I do have hair casts that I'm trying to get rid of because they seem to be choking the strand out. Let us know if you decide to use a salt scrub.

12. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Mine appeared out of no where too! :( I have tried dead sea salt only for a few days and it dried my hair out and didnt help so I didnt stick with it.

13. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    Is anyone experiencing hair loss because of SD? I washed my hair last night with Regenepure DR and massive clumps fell out! At lost as to what to do now, I feel like Ive tried every remedy under the sun :(

14. DisTressing

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried DHS shampoos? I am trying one right now because I am suffering from extreme skin reactivity (face only) to all shampoos. I used DHS Clear last night and woke up this a.m. with absolutely no itching or red bumps. It's a miracle. DHS Clear is also recommended for a range of scalp problems, including seb derm. They also offer TarGel shampoo, which is specifically for seb derm. Since I do not suffer from seb derm I didn't try that.

15. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Ditch the shampoo with frangance, SLS, and lots of ingredients. Those all make me shed more. Try a couple different ones (Cvs, Amazon, Ulta) will all let you return within amount of time. Don't need to spend a fortune on shampoos and toss them out. My hair is thinnest in my SD areas but my shed is stable right now.

16. fleur1979

fleur1979 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I just tried the ginger shampoo from the Body Shop. So far, so good.

17. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello guys! I had a few questions for you all..

1. Does anyone know of a dry shampoo version of the usual medicated shampoos that are offered as treatment? I hate washing my entire hair each time my scalp gets greasy and itchy, and I was wondering if a dry shampoo version with the anti-fungal ingredients would work or even exists.

2. Has anyone heard of the Mother Dirt line, especially their probiotic spray? I was thinking that maybe this could greatly help SD by re-balancing the good bacteria on the scalp, that was imbalanced when our Malasezzia fungus started to spread.

18. Chelle7198

Chelle7198 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Mycurlyhair, I'm a part of your group already! My name is Michelle Crosson. I haven't been diagnosed yet but I know that it's sd. Mine showed up after a cdiff infection. tons of antibiotics and stress...a ton of stress!! I could see the connection to rebalancing the good bacteria Viinca. Like you say I refuse to say its life long when it just showed up out of no where. I lost tons of hair at first I mean handfuls in the shower for 2 weeks! and then the burning and itching and then the shed leveled out, but it's still shedding constantly. I don't even try to wear my hair curly it looks horrible and it's getting the same way straight...Blah..This sucks I used to have such thick curly hair.

19. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    Me too Chelle! Looking back at my thick curly black hair I am always so upset :/ But good thing yours is now leveling out, thats a good sign! Did it just start going away on its own?

Yea I want to try this out https://shop.motherdirt.com/product/ao-mist-2/ but as I live in Spain, shipping is super expensive! And ive already spent so much trying to find a shampoo that works..

20. Chelle7198

Chelle7198 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    well I lost the bulk of my hair all at once. So now i'm just losing what's left. It's been 1yr and 3 months of hair loss. I lose all lengths of hair though. Long ones. and short ones. I wonder if the mother dirt will help, I'm going to look more into it.