Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Dermatologist vs. PA (what questions to ask?)

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by violet04, May 9, 2007.

  1. violet04

    violet04 Guest

    I tried calling several dermatologists to make an appointment and the soonest appointment I could get was June 26th. One place couldn't get me in until September!

    Luckily, I was able to get an appointment with a PA for next week. I am so happy that I will get someone to look at this problem soon. The receptionist said that the dermatologists at this place mainly do surgery and don't treat general problems.

    Is there any difference between a dermatologist vs. a PA? I have this fear that the PA or even doctor won't take the problem seriously. I still have my appointment in June in case the PA doesn't work out.

    Also, are there any specific questions I should ask or things I should mention to make sure I get the most effective treatment?
  2. rayneStormRN

    rayneStormRN Guest

    by PA do you mean physicians assistant? PA's have more or less the same priviliges as doctors, but have to work UNDER a doctors "supervision". they can write prescriptions and all that good stuff.

    i know when i got in to see a dermatoligist the first thing he did was order bloodwork to rule out any other condition that could cause the hairloss. needless to say everything was normal for me. i don't think any of the topical stuff i've used has really helped to regrow hair, i'm not even sure if it's slowed the progress, plus the original stuff was irritating to my scalp and i got pimply areas, which of course i'd scratch at, and they'd turn to little sores. the new stuff i'm on doesn't do that, it's a foam. i noticed the best results after the steroid injections, i have a lot of that white fuzz growing in, and while i might be imagining it, there are some brown hairs that i think used to be white. i still have some bald bald bald areas, but i'm holding out hope that they will grow in and i can let me hair grow out.

    anyhow, i suppose make sure he sends bloodwork, and ask about steroid injections, the topical stuff just isn't strong enough in my opinion.
  3. violet04

    violet04 Guest

    Yes, I meant physician's assistant. I was going to type that out and forgot!

    I got bloodwork done at my regular doctor and it came back normal. When I called to schedule the appointment the receptionist even mentioned the shots. From what I've read, getting the shots on a regular schedule seems to be the most effective.

    Thanks for the info!

Share This Page