Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

DERMMATCH..I am scared because of its TALC content!

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by meezer, Oct 17, 2011.

1. meezer

meezer Guest

Hi all,
    I have been a faithful user of dermatch for the past 4 years, and it has worked great for me.

However, I recently happened to look closely at the ingredients and notice that Talc is a major ingredient. I have also read the connection between talc and ovarian and even lung cancer risks.
    I know that I have probably been inhaling dermatch particles as i blowdry my hair with the product in it. Also, it sometimes gets onto my fingers/nails when I touch my hair or comb it etc. I dont always wash my hands afterwards each and everytime, but do know that I have changed undergarments and....(sorry...for TMI..but feminine products during that time of the month).
    I am scared that I am being exposed to these talc particles on a daily basis :(
    I have written to the company who wrote a short sentence saying that talc is safe to use, even on babies!! Thats NOT what I have read. Sorry this is so long, but it concerns me and I want to know what you all think? I am ready to research into shabo instead, and discontinue dermatch. I even asked the rep if they would consider replacing the talc content with cornstarch but they said NO :(
    Please let me know your thoughts......

2. Vlal

Vlal Guest

I think if it worries you this much, then perhaps look for an alternative. The way I see it is: if you wouldn't use talc on the rest of your body because of these concerns, then you probably wouldn't want to use it long-term on your scalp either.

3. axelde

axelde Guest

I wouldn't be too hysterical about the largely unsubstantiated reports about the health risks of talc. Most of the claims are very tenuous and inconclusive at best and not supported by scientific research. In the case of ovarian or lung cancer, which have so many possible causes, it is almost impossible to demonstrate that talc is a cause or even a contributing factor.

As a geologist and chemist I can confirm that talc is completely inert, i.e. insoluble in water, acids, alkalis and most solvents. It can be ingested without harm - it is a common additive in chewing gum, so is completely non-toxic. It is also commonly used in foodstuff packing as an ingredient in the formulation of plastic used as food containers or as film wrap.

The reported risks associated with talc are probably due to reports that it MIGHT be contaminated with fibrous minerals such as asbestos that are carcinogenic.

The talc industry has been aware of this possible risk for the last 30 years or so, therefore takes great care to ensure that talc entering the market is free from asbestos contamination.

Obviously, any substance in powder form shouldn't be inhaled, as we all know from experience that any form of dust can irritate the nasal and lung passages. Just handle talc cosmetic products sensibly and avoid unnecessary inhalation.

4. meezer

meezer Guest

Thank you both so much for your replies.
    Yes, it does concern me enough to discontinue the use of dermatch.
    I understand from many reports that I have read (mainly scholarly articles) that they may indeed be a connection between ovarian cancer and frequent talc use. Also, I have seen one study where they do not see any increased risk due to poor study design or other confounding factors. It still concerns me that sites like Mayo clinic, american cancer society always mention talc use as a risk for ovarian cancer and dont recommend women use it.

As for breathing particles in....now THAT has me worried even more :(
    The way I have been using dermatch is to wash hair, part it, apply to needed areas, apply mousse, and THEN Blowdry it!! I am pretty sure that I have been breathing in these particles using this method. I should have just styled and blowdried, THEN apply dermatch...less chance of it blowing around and being breathed in.
    Okay....I will stop now......I am still unsure that this is an entirely safe product. However, the fact that you stated axelde that the industry has tried to remove asbestos content from talc entering the market made me feel a little better at least.
    But, FOR ME still, I am going to stop its use and am looking into ordering shabo. Its all about what everyones personal acceptance of risk is I guess.
    Such a shame though....I LOVED dermatch and it did such a great job helping me with my hair thinning problems...I am going to miss it, and the same time, not!

5. Bortex47

Bortex47 Guest

You have good reason to be scared. I have been using Dermatch and blowdrying my hair for about 3 years. I would apply it, then blowdry my hair while combing or brushing it. After some time, I noticed that the process created a fine dust over surfaces in the bathroom. I thought nothing of it, and simply cleaned the surfaces. A couple of years later, I became increasingly concerned about the buildup of this residue everywhere in the bathroom and started worrying about the fact that I was inevitably inhaling a lot of this fine dust as a result of my routine. So I stopped brushind and combing while I blowdried my hair, then combed and brushed out my hair while leaning backwards over my sink. I was surprised at the quantity of Dermatch particles in the sink each day. Finally, I noticed that the buildup of particles around the bathroom was STILL occurring, even though I had left off coming and brushing while blowdrying. So I have resolved to STOP BLOWDRYING altogether and must let the product dry on my hair and then comb/brush out my hair afterwards.

In an era when people are duly concerned about the hazards of smoking tobacco and even secondary smoke, I can only imagine the dangers of inhaling the quantity of Dermatch that is released into the air by blowdrying. Have you checked how much buildup of this gunk there is around your bathroom -- on your light fixtures, light switches, toothbrushes, etc.? Can you imagine what this might be doing to your LUNGS?

Do not blowdry this product. I repeat, DO NOT BLOWDRY Dermatch after applying it! I am apodictically certain that it is a HAZARD TO YOUR HEALTH!

6. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I found applying it dry to be more realistic (for me anyway). If you're concerned about inhaling it, definitely find an alternative, but until then, maybe this will help. No blow drying necessary.