Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Desperate for advice - what kind of hair / topper should I get?

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by Eliza1990, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone!

I've been anxiously reading up on all the different types of hair pieces for the past week trying to figure out what's the best option for me, and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the different options - more than my outward appearance, my self confidence has been decimated by my hair loss and I think wearing something will help me feel in control again. To give you a summary of my hair, I have diffuse hair loss due to extremely high shedding over the last two years, resulting in very thin wispy/poofy dirty blonde hair (shoulder length). My part is wide but I don't have patches of scalp showing (I'm also lucky since my hair color is pretty close to my scalp color). I wear it back every day to minimize the appearance of hair loss, and since my thinning is diffuse I would LOVE to find a hair piece that my co-workers won't notice (I'm only 25 and am not ready for the anxiety of worrying others can tell). I'd love your recommendations for what's the best route if I'm looking for something that:

1. Won't be noticeable to strangers (even if it isn't a lot of hair, that's perfectly fine- I'm not expecting miracles if my goal is to have it not be noticed)

2. Will do the least damage to my existing hair

I believe I have enough hair to hide clips, if that impacts your suggestion.

Thank you so much for your thoughts!

2. Kadee

Kadee Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Last summer when I was shedding boat loads I ordered an Enchantop human hair topper. I didn't wear it other than just to play with it and tool around the house a bit to see what it would be like, but I really liked the way it looked / felt. My husband could never tell when I had it on and didn't have it on. I may be breaking it out again soon and taking it for some spins outside the house. Sigh. You might take a look at those. They will also take returns. And, they will listen to you color / density wise what you are looking for.

3. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I order my HH toppers from a stylist who works only with hair replacement clients. My toppers are made to fit my head and the cost also includes the cut in. You might look for a hair replacement salon in your area - both stylists I have worked with offered a free initial consultation.

4. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. I think the best route for me to start with is a clip-on, as I want to get comfortable with it by myself before I consider sitting down with a stylist and discussing a bonded route (which long term I agree sounds ideal).

Lily, I know you started with a clip on topper, did you use Enchantop or a different company?

I basically am curious what the best place is to order a clip on topper from. I'm willing to pay up for HH if it's worth it. I don't yet have the confidence to go to a salon and get one made for my head, but I don't mind wasting some money in the meantime (I just want to order it from a website that women on this site recommend).

5. jesswade

jesswade New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I order my toppers from Fortune Wigs. Their customer service is excellent and their products are returnable - as long as you don't cut it of course. But they work with you to get it right. I have a clip in kippah topper (the wefted was way too much hair). Anyhow, they have 25% off all toppers right now for end of summer (so for my 14 inch wavy topper with a 6x6 scalp and the discount it comes to about $348). I ask for 5 clips - two in the front on then ends, two on the sides and 1 in the back. I have 2 toppers so far and the scalp looks so incredible. I worked with Kate when I called in.

6. ladymarmalade09

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if you're aware, but there is a group on Facebook that is dedicated to women who wear hair (I think the group started awhile ago from women who used to be on this site). It's a secret group, so we'd have to be friends for you to be added, but I've found it to be a great group with lots of knowledgable women. Some of the women wear toppers and others wear wigs and they are all very supportive and knowledgable. If you're interested feel free to send me a PM :)

7. jesswade

jesswade New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Ladymarmalade09 - I would be very interested in the group but I can't send a PM because I haven't posted that many replies on here. Is it really secret - like no one in my facebook friends list would see?

8. ladymarmalade09

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Jesswade, sorry, I'm just seeing this post! Yes, it is a secret group so you won't be able to see it when searching for it and it won't show up on your newsfeed or anything so nobody except group members will know you're in it. I'll PM you and give you the info :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm....it seems as though I am unable to send you a PM, Jesswade due to your settings or something. Is there a setting option that you can adjust? Or maybe just post a bunch of responses, lol.

9. Wallnew

Wallnew New Member

Dislikes Received:
    maybe a human hair wig is best for you

there are too many people who wear wigs day and night. for example, me. i have worn wig for 2 years and will keep wearing it.
    a full lace human hair is best for natural looks, and of course the price is relatively high. but you could buy one online for try. it is not very expensive.
    I bought ever one item from a online shop ewigsau and it worked well for me.

10. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Eliza1990, just saw your question. I go to a salon where the stylist deals exclusively with hair replacement clients - she has for over 20 years. I buy my HH toppers from her (started out with clip on, now bond). When I first started wearing hair I went to someone else, bought a semi-custom Gem Tress piece for around $400, including cut in. I now pay around $900 for a custom piece which includes the cut in as well as maintenance (retouching color, conditioning etc.) The hair is much better than the cheaper piece, less shiny and doesn't get red undertones from sun. It's also a perfect color match for my bio hair. If you clip and take good care of your piece, it can last for quite awhile. I'm looking to get hopefully a year or so out of my new toppers since I'm sleeping in them.

11. jesswade

jesswade New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I changed the settings to allow messages - but I don't know if it worked. I will email the admin to see what I can do!

12. mvgirl

mvgirl Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Can I be added to that group as well please?

13. suzieq

suzieq New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Desperate for advice

Hi I've been lurking in the forums for the last couple years and am also trying to find the helpgroups.desperate also

14. EdenG

EdenG New Member

Dislikes Received:
    [QUOTE = "Lily, post: 238619, member: 48"] Je commande mes coiffes HH à une styliste qui travaille uniquement avec des clients qui utilisent un substitut capillaire. Mes toppers sont faites pour s'adapter à ma tête et le coût inclut également la coupe. Vous pourriez chercher un salon de remplacement capillaire dans votre région - les deux stylistes avec qui j'ai travaillé m'ont offert une première consultation gratuite. [/ QUOTE]

hello,

you can sleep , swim and do gym with your bonded hair system ?