Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Diabetes?

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by mycurlyhair, Jun 2, 2012.

1. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Is there anyone here who's hair loss is strictly from Diabetes? I have been reading up on it alot and almost all women who have diabetes have hair thinning/loss.
    I have all the symptoms of it and will be checked for it next week but reason I post this is because I just read this and am now worried?!

Because of the diabetic condition, lost hair are not replaced as readily as someone without the disease

2. waterbaby

waterbaby Guest

I don't know but some of the drugs you get put on for diabetes type 2 have nasty side effects. eg Metformin seems to cause vitamin B12 deficiency which can cause hair loss and neurological damage and Avandia causes so many serious problems that the FDA has decided to restrict its use.

http://diabetes.emedtv.com/avandia/avan ... fects.html

Cinnamon tea is very effective in lowering blood sugar and I can personally confirm this. Someone gave a huge bag full of fresh cinnamon bark when I was in Indonesia last autumn and a couple of weeks ago I decided to make some cinnamon tea. I'm not a diabetic and I don't take sugar in tea and coffee. In Indonesia they ALWAYS use sugar in tea and coffee. Lesson learned, as a non diabetic I should have put sugar or honey in that tea because I got quite severe symptoms of hypoglycemia after drinking it! It definitely lowered my blood sugar levels and quite significantly too.

You can google cinnamon and diabetes and see what comes up but here's one recent paper confirming that it has both hypoglycemic and antioxidant properties.

http://www.currentscidirect.com/IJCBMS/ ... nnamon.pdf

3. m83

m83 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have read that PCOS is an early manifestation of the genetic predisposition to Type II Diabetes.

Given that both PCOS and Diabetes are associated with hair loss, there may be something to the theory that states that Insulin resistance is one of the main triggers of hair loss. There are some guys on the men's forums who swear by this. Who knows how much truth there is to it but it's certainly something to think about. In any case, it does seem that not controlling your diabetes or insulin resistance can wreak havoc on your body so it makes sense to think that it may have a similar effect on your hair

4. Adi

Adi Member

Dislikes Received:
    Diabetes also causes hair loss!! That makes me feel like I will never get my hair back :-(.

I dont have Diabetes but it runs in the family(my dad, uncle, Grandma). And I had Gestational Diabetes with my first son. Looks like I am doomed.