Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Diagnosed with Androgenic Alopecia? Confused.

Discussion in 'Teens and Twenties Alopecians' started by Angie20, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Angie20

Angie20 Guest

Hi everyone,

I feel like I go through waves of emotion with my Androgenetic Alopecia diagnosis. Sometimes, I feel optimistic about my thinning hair. I mean, it's just HAIR. Not a deadly/debilitating disease. But other times, I just feel really alone/saddened with all of this. :( And whenever I talk to my family about it, they just don't seem to understand the emotional toll it takes.

I have read and heard that Androgenetic Alopecia is very common...but I don't feel that it is common at all when you're only 20 years old and you're hair has been thinning since you were in puberty! How can a child have thinning hair? I always thought that it was something only post menopausal women experienced.

None of my friends have thinning hair...and when I go out in social settings I never see girls in my age group that have hair like mine. If anythinggg, I may see a guy or two with thinning hair.

I feel so frustrated because my hair has held me back so much in my young life. I feel vain because it's really...just hair.

WHEN IS THERE GOING TO BE A CURE FOR THIS!?????????

I needed to vent.

Angie <3

2. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

it is not just hair. it is a part of us. Please do not underestimate hair. Apparently how many girls out there can make it to this forum without seeing a shrink. as u said how many girls have hair like us. Seriously society is not helping or supporting women with Androgenetic Alopecia. i feel like that too.

3. CKingAnswers

CKingAnswers Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Totally natural feelings. And it's so frustrating. People can empathize with us, and can write it off as "just hair" but it's just one of those things you can't truly understand unless you go through it. Sure things could be a lot worse and we are grateful that they're not, but we are still left to deal with what most females don't have to deal with, in a world that revolves around beauty. It's tough. Some days are better than others for me. Hang in there and vent when you need to. You're human :)

4. Hi hun, I really hope my response to you helps reach you because your post really hit home for me. I, like you, am 20 years old and was diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia earlier this year. My hair has been thinning for years now too, and has always just been unruly and has given me so many problems. First off I just wanted to let you know that we all have those "sad" and "alone" days. I don't want you to feel vain or selfish because you're sad you're losing your hair. This is a completely normal reaction for a young woman to have. Also the whole "why me?" aspect is also very normal, right after being diagnosed and sometimes even now I find myself glaring at my friends and strangers with luscious, thick hair and thinking, "What have you got that I don't? What have I done in my life where I'm the one who deserves this?" But I've recently tried a different approach in my thinking. Recently I've shaved my head and try to put all this past me, because honestly we're bigger than this crappy set of cards we've been dealt. I always try to tell myself, "Better me than someone else who can't handle this. Like my sister." I thank God every day that this has happened to me and not my younger sister Abby, because I know she would not be able to handle it the way I can.

The best thing you can possible do for yourself right now is to free yourself. In no way am I encouraging you to go out and shave your head, but that's exactly what I did and I haven't been the same since. It was extremely freeing and my every day life is no longer constantly about my hair. It's seriously the best feeling to not feel stray hairs falling all the time, or watching it all come out in the shower. I highly encourage you to take your situation into your own hands and do something that will give you more confidence. Shaving my head was a way of telling the world and Androgenetic Alopecia that it's not going to control me. I control myself & I control my life. I've recently gotten wigs that look extremely normal and give me an extra boost of confidence when I feel I need one! Long story short there are ways around and through all this sadness. You can get through it, please don't let your Androgenetic Alopecia stop you from living. WE'RE SO YOUNG AND HAVE SO MUCH BEAUTIFUL LIFE TO LIVE. If I can do this, you can too along with so many others :) I promise.

5. April_moon

April_moon Member

Dislikes Received:
    you are handling this in such a wonderful way, i hope that i can do the same