Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Diagnosed With Both Telogen Effluvium And Androgenic Alopecia?

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by jpeyin, May 10, 2019.

1. jpeyin

jpeyin New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi there

I'm a 26-year-old female who just recently has gone through some major hair loss. It started at the beginning of March 2018. I was under chronic stress and was sick for two months in a row. I noticed a lot of shedding at the start of March, which made me notice that my crown was starting to thin. The panic set in and I saw my primary care doctor. She only ran a blood test for TSH and vitamin D and B12. Thyroid was fine, but Vit D and B12 were low. She said to take a multi-vitamin and biotin and didn't really give me any other advice (other than to put raw egg on my head???). I noticed my shedding was slowing down for sure and I wasn't seeing bunches of hair when I showered as well closer to April. I decided to go to a dermatologist just in case. I didn't actually see the dermatologist, but the PA working that day. She told me to get more labs done, including Ferratin and a Hormone panel, but in the meantime to start Rogain. (which I'm hesitant on doing) and that in three months to come back and see her.

I guess I wanted any input on anyone who has been diagnosed with both? She looked at my hair under the weird microscope magnifying glass thing and said that my hair follicles are open, but instead of growing two or three hairs they're only growing one. I just feel super uninformed and confused about the diagnosis and she rushed through the diagnosis pretty quickly. Is it fair that I don't want to start Rogaine until all my labs are back and getting a second opinion from a dermatologist? I feel so heartbroken right now :(

2. Jennifer1371

Jennifer1371 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,

I was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata from a scalp biopsy by the dermatologist while I was undergoing hair loss. My hair loss started six months after I stopped using progesterone cream. Initially, I tried reapplying progesterone cream to stop the hair loss, but it did not work and that sent me on a several year journey trying to find/stop the cause of the hair loss.

What I've learned from my experience....

Androgenetic alopecia can mean hair loss that occurs in hormonally sensitive individuals. That is A LOT of women! And why many women experience hair loss as they age and hormones decrease or after pregnancy or after getting off birth control or anytime hormones shift.

My hair loss stopped when I finally tried progesterone serum several years later. I was afraid to use it again, since the initial loss started after I stopped using it. But, blood results demonstrated that my progesterone was so low and I was having other unpleasant hormonal symptoms so I finally gave it a try.

I only use a little progesterone serum as I now know how hormonally sensitive I am. If I ever have to go off any kind of hormone, I will wean myself slowly so I do not shock the system. I will also know that hormones are a factor that could cause hair loss in the future.

For me, I could not stop the hair loss initially with the progesterone cream, because my system had already started a shed phase. But, if I was more patient and less reactive, listening to my body, I might have ended the hair loss a lot sooner by reinstating the progesterone cream and sticking with it.

I know we all are different and have different triggers. I also know how you feel and wanted to offer up this example in case it is helpful to anyone.

3. Jennifer1371

Jennifer1371 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Androgentic Alopecia not areata

4. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    What serum are you using? Is it a cream?