Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Diagnostic criteria for PCOS

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by kaylee, May 9, 2008.

1. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Revised diagnostic criteria of PCOS -1999 criteria (both 1 and 2)

1. Chronic anovulation

2. Clinical and/or biochemical signs of hyperandrogenism, and exclusion of other aetiologies

Revised 2003 criteria (2 out of 3)

1. Oligo- and/or anovulation

2. Clinical and/or biochemical signs of hyperandrogenism

3. Polycystic ovaries

and exclusion of other aetiologies (congenital adrenal hyperplasias, androgen-secreting tumours, Cushing’s syndrome)

Other Proposed Diagnostic Criteria in Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

1. Inappropriate gonadotropin secretion

a)Elevated LH-to-FSH ratio

b)Abnormal response to GnRH agonist testing

2. Hyperandrogenism

a)Hirsutism, androgenic alopecia, acne

b)Hyperandrogenemia

I.Total testosterone

II.Free testosterone (free androgen index, etc.)

3.Ovarian appearance

a) Polycystic-appearing ovaries

b)Increased (stromal) size

4.Insulin resistance

a)Acanthosis nigricans

b)Fasting measures of insulin/glucose

c)Oral glucose tolerance test

d)Dynamic tests of insulin sensitivity

I.Euglycemic clamp

II.Frequently sampled intravenous glucose tolerance test
    5.Chronic anovulation

a)Self-reported history

b)Tests of ovulatory function

I.Basal body temperature charting

II.Urinary LH testing

III.Serum progesterone measurement

IV.Endometrial biopsy

---

2. mjh

mjh Guest

This is interesting...how do you know if you're anovulatory? What if you get regular, 7 day periods every four weeks? Is anovulation still possible?

3. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Well you probably wouldn't be able to get pregnant. And you would probably have absent periods. If your periods are for the most part good, you're probably ovulating.

4. michelesmith

michelesmith Guest

my periods came every 21 days but a good part of the time i did NOT ovulate so yes you can get regular periods and not ovulate.........

5. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Hmmm...I didnt know that!

6. mjh

mjh Guest

Was your period consistent in it's nature (flow, etc)? Or was it heavy sometimes and lighter at other times? Sorry if this is too personal but mine is the same every time. And if you weren't ovulating did you use any medication to help with that? I do have an ovulation kit which I should use when I *think* I'm ovulating.

7. dying curls

dying curls Guest

yeah you can get regular period andnot ovulate.
    I never missed a period in my time and was alwys like a clock..i dunno if i ovulated or not...same for my sister..yet she has pcos and right now is TTC..well she has other issues than pcos that make it difficult for her to get pregnant...
    She once got pregnant at 27, she did nto know she had PCOS yet...i think by then she had an extremely mild form.She decided not to keep the baby who was so far faring well....
    Now her PCOS is a bit more frank (she now at 33 developped a couple of chin hair..my i wish my pcos was just that)...and apparently she ovulate without meds but the quality of the ovulation is not really good....so it means with pcos alone she could get pregantn but not as easily as before...butanywya she had one of her trump closed now, and cervical mucus issue, plus a genetic disease that starts to take more of its toll on her and it can affects the genital organ and make it difficult for the egg to go where it has to go...and her husband apparently do not have very good quality semen..too many probs to overcome..