Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Did You Feel Better When You Knew Why?

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by Aragon, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Aragon

Aragon New Member

Dislikes Received:
    This is a long unsimple story....Sorry.

I never take pictures of myself and people don’t take pictures of me either. The last picture I could find of myself before this hell went down was December 2017. My hair was thick, voluminous, healthy, pretty. No scalp showing anywhere!

I think I was shedding a lot almost all last year. My life is ridiculously crazy so I honestly was too busy to pay attention but I doremember thinking “damn. That’s a lot of hair” in the shower and when brushing/styling. Then in November I was making thanksgiving dinner and worried that someone would have hair in their food because I was used to shedding so much, but I realized thatsuddenly I wasn’t shedding anymore.

Then....in April this year I decided I wanted some highlights. The stylist made my base color super black and the highlights orange. I felt like a jack o lantern. Anyway I ended up going back to have her fix it which turned out worse, then had another stylist really fix it. Then it was breaking pretty bad so she did a heated deep conditioning treatment. That night my scalp felt like it was burning! I also started my period 5 days early that same day which has NEVER happened before. I thought the scalp burning must have been a reaction to something at the salon. It didn’t go away. After a week I went to my doctor who said it’s in my head because of my long history of anxiety. Didn’t buy that. I then went to a derm who looked at my scalp for literally one second and said my scalp was healthy but I had androgenic alopecia. What?!? This was when my hair was still super good!

So I suffered 2 more months of scalp burning and went to another derm. By this point my hair did feel thinner and I was really aware that I was shedding a lot. He said no way definitely not Androgenetic Alopecia, he thought it was part allergic reaction, part breakage, and part stress. I go back to him every month and he keeps saying it’s TE it’s not Androgenetic Alopecia. The burning is nowhere near as bad as it was before but it’s not completely gone. I can go days and feel nothing but then it comes back. It is the worst feeling.

Other weird things: I had 2 irregular cycles and the last 2 have been normal. I’ve never been irregular. In June I noticed melasma on my cheeks which I’ve also never had not even when I was pregnant. I can’t sleep. All of this screams hormonal so I went to my obgyn. He said there’s no way I’m perimenopause. My own mom only just went through it at 62. But he only tested some of my hormones: estradiol, androstenedione, total testosterone, dhea-s, prolactin, also ana (negative), and a cbc, tsh, t3 and t4. Everything was normal.

I can only think of 2 or 3 things that would have triggered this. In February my doctor put me on buspar for my anxiety. It made me feel worse so I stopped taking it In early May, right after this crap started. But I’ve never heard of buspar causing hair loss. The other thing is that I have been extremely stressed for 4 solid years, no breaks. Things got REALLY crazy starting November 2017. I have a very demanding high pressure job and my home life is insane as well. The only last possibility is I got the flu in late January and had a fever for a few days. Never lost hair over a fever before.

In the 5 months since this started everything has gotten so much worse. I’m convinced now that I really do have Androgenetic Alopecia. I shed a lot of long hair but also a lot of short thin hairs, like anywhere from 1 to 3 inches. My temples are so thin and receding now, my nape is almost just gone, my front hairline is pretty much see through the first inch. My part isn’t really wider but it’s so flat! You can see my scalp on the sides when I pull my hair back. The only part that hasn’t been affected is a couple inches up from the nape to my crown. The crown has not been affected much. Before all this I would’ve never bought volumizing hair products. Whole other story now.

This is affecting me terribly. It is all I ever think about. I almost think I don’t even need a biopsy to tell me this is AndrogeneticAlopecia. I am so depressed and my anxiety is on a level that I’ve never experienced before. I cry all the time. Sometimes I feel suicidal but never would because I have a child. I feel guilty for being so upset about it. I’m not being a good mom of wife because I am so depressed. I even started therapy last night over this. Truth be told I should’ve went to therapy even before all this.

My hair is now so weightless. My ponytail feels like half of what it was. I’m going to buy tinted dry shampoo to cover the scalpy parts. Could psycological stress really have caused this? I’m really doubting it. And I feel absolutely hopeless. No one ever seems to get their hair back. I’m basically in a constant panic attack over this.

I don’t even know why I’m posting this. I just really feel the worst I have in my entire life. And meanwhile my other life stress is getting a billion times worse. Thanks for reading my big giant dumb story. I appreciate anyencouragement or advice.