Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Did you lose the front hair line?

Discussion in 'Living with Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Vikstar, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Vikstar

Vikstar Member

Dislikes Received:
    All of the Androgenetic Alopecia information and photos that I see show that the very front of the hair line (approx half an inch) is retained and loss starts from there backwards. However, my hair loss is right at the front of my head, where the "Widow's Peak" would be. Is anyone similar in this respect? Also, I have lost A LOT from the nape of the neck and back of the head - can anyone relate?

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    My biggest loss is along my front hairline centered on my forehead but my nape area is the least hit.

3. BGS92

BGS92 Guest

Me too, Lily. Seems like my nape is the only area being spared (for now)...

4. ksmon48

ksmon48 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    You are not alone.

I realize this is a fairly old post but I felt a need to reply.
    I am losing my hair all over my head (and have been for a very long time) but it is the front hairline that stands out the most. I always wore bangs before my Androgenetic Alopecia got so bad because I have a high forehead. Now I can't and it sucks. :(

5. hoping4best

hoping4best Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    ksmon48, are you using minoxidil, perchance? I'm almost at the 5 month mark. I recently got diagnosed as being in a long/recurring hormonally-induced TE, *along with* female pattern hair loss/Androgenetic Alopecia. I'm using minoxidil (foam, occasionally liquid, 5%, 1x per day) on the top of my head and my temples and bang area. So far, I don't see regrowth from minoxidil on the top of my head (which is freaking me out, since most people who are happy using minoxidil report success by now), but my front hairline has new-hair fringe. Almost like a new layer of bangs, just at the very front of my hairline, is growing. I think it's from the minoxidil. I'm hoping to keep trying for a year and report here as I go, so we'll see. But if you haven't tried it, you could always try it just on your bang area and see how it goes.

I'm sorry you're going through this. It's really stressful. Hang in there.

Updated to add: I see in the other thread that you updated today that you are in advanced stages of Androgenetic Alopecia. Apologies if you've already been down this road and are past trying minoxidil. I hope you have peaceful holidays.

6. ksmon48

ksmon48 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Minoxidil

Hi hoping4best.

I used minoxidil (liquid) a few years ago for an entire year. Unfortunately it did nothing for me. Please don't let that discourage you. I know it has helped others so I would encourage you to continue trying it, especially since you've seen some growth.

Just fyi, I also tried Rogain for a few months. The only thing it did was give me huge bags under my eyes! Just awful. Anyone else have that happen??

I've tried everything available under the sun and to be honest I'm tired of repeatedly being disappointed. I may be done trying these products but I would never tell anyone else they should stop. What doesn't work for one of us may be the perfect answer for another. I'm sincerely hopeful that minoxidil will help you. Hang in there and please keep us updated.

Best wishes.

7. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Nap area is hardly ever affected. According to my research, for some unkonwn reason nap hair is not affected by DHT. Look at the photos of mail balding pattern, Boldest going guys never lose the nap hairl

8. sunlit

sunlit Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, my front hairline has receded a very noticeable amount - it has changed shape completely. I used to have a widow's peak but now do not have a widow's peak at all. The hairline at the top of my forehead has moved back probably half an inch, and my hairline at the temples has receded back a good two inches in "triangles". Not sure why this is as I have no hormonal imbalances, no PCOS, etc and my scalp biopsy did not show signs of Androgenetic Alopecia. I wonder why some women get the female hair loss pattern and some women get the male one?

I have a lot of hair loss on the back of my head and I think probably some hair loss at the nape, but I'm not sure as my hair is too thin to wear in a ponytail so no one sees the nape of my neck.

9. tula

tula Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sunlit,
    I have very similar loss. My temples are so thin and my hair loss is all over the top but started along the hairline. I had a biopsy that said Androgenetic Alopecia, but it also that that the miniaturization is so subtle that "clinicopathologic correlation" is required to know for sure. So basically they suspect but it could also not be. It probably is at the very early stages but I look worse than my mom who started loss after menopause and it took her 10 years to get where she is.
    It also says my telogen hairs are essentially within normal limits. My problem is that I do have a hormonal imbalance and low ferritin at just 17. I am trying to raise that now with no help from any doctors who just ignored it. All of my hormones are "within normal" but barely and on the low end. My estrogen was almost at menopause levels 2 days before ovulation. But it's normal according to them! I am only 34 and hair loss started at 32! So I am having menopausal hair loss without menopause.
    I am ready to try an endocrinologist or functional medicine doctor. Paying for more office visits and blood tests has been holding me back. :(
    I am going to guess we both have something going on causing this and the doctors are overlooking it.

10. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    At first I didn't but this past year it has started to recede, especially at the temples.

11. Meliss9

Meliss9 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Me too and it's getting to a point I cant hide it. It's consuming my life and making me missrable... I use toppik at times for top.. I CSNT cover the front and sides. I don't know what else to do

12. electra

electra Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I'm perimenopausal and I have recession from the widow's peak, front hair line, and temples. Also, my hair comes out easily (in handfuls) from all over my head. And I see the nape getting higher.

Ugh! Is it Androgenetic Alopecia with male pattern of baldness? TE? Both? Definitely have miniaturization.

Haven't done Rogaine, full-on, because--I'd have to use it all over my head! And it seems to turn my colored hairs, gray, very quickly. So I'm not sure what's the best thing to do. Yuck.

13. Fros

Fros Member

Dislikes Received:
    God yes ! My front hairline has receded a lot ! My part widened and there's a lot a hair loss all over my scalp but I think my front hairline was hit the hardest and the nape of my neck as well ....

I have PCOS and was diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia a year and 1/2 ago (approximately) and I had hair loss since my uni years (I am now 32) but always had full thick,strong hair. However in the latest 2-2 1/2 years lost more than half and at this rate I will be bald in 2-3 months and the doctors still tell me that "it's ok it's not that serious" which makes me so !

My front hairline is just gone so I keep my hair down try to push it to the front and use toppik to cover the top ....

14. Sandy

Sandy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I see the last post was 1-1/2 years ago but want to reach out here because this is basically my problem, the very front center of my hair. I started to lose it right at menopause but since I had a lot of hair, was able to style it to camouflage it somewhat, no one ever mentioned anything to me that they noticed anything different. At that time or shortly after I was dx'd with hashimotos hypothyroid which didn't help, then I started to get diffuse hair loss. So over the last 20 years or so, I still have hair in the back and sides (though less), but the front center and temple areas in the last 6 months have been drastically affected and now I see my scalp in the front no matter how I part it, so distressing.
    I don't know what accelerated this. I had a scalp biopsy which ruled out FFA, and am seriously considering a transplant. Can anyone comment as to their progress or any solutions? I have tried everything, I have gone to 4 doctors, none much of a help, I have considered trying rogaine but then I read it does not work for frontal loss and that some people have terrible experience with it losing more hair. I tried it many years ago and grew hair on my neck and forehead, and lost more in the area I was trying to cover. I was considering finasteride but don't know if it regrows hair, only that it helps stop the fallout. I am on every vitamin imaginable and started collagen peptide powder recently, nothing helps.