Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

difference between men and women's rogaine

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Gypsy99, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

why is there a difference?
    why is men targeted at crown while women targeted on top of scalp?

2. acr3m

acr3m Guest

The difference is that men's rogaine is 5% minoxidil versus the women's 2%. Generally men show more balding the the crown area and temples, while women can have it mainly in the front of the scalp, but really all over. I was confused when I first starting using the men's version because its says that it is not intended for use anywhere but the crown of the head, which isn't true. The crown is just the only place that tests have been preformed, but its been proven to work all over the scalp. If you are considering using it, definitely see a doctor/dermatologist/etc first, because it doesn't work for everyone and once you start I am pretty sure that you are dependent on it for life.

3. ceremonyj

ceremonyj Member

Dislikes Received:
    There really is no difference except for the fact that the Men's Rogaine is stronger. I suspect the language is due to marketing; women tend to lose hair diffusely while men lose it more on the crown. I don't think there have been any studies that show it works differently in men and women.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh, acr3m! Jinx.

4. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

5. ceremonyj

ceremonyj Member

Dislikes Received:
    Right, but like I said, the language is based on the typical pattern of hair loss seen in men and women and what the studies were concerned with. It doesn't mean if you are a woman with thinning at the top vertex it won't work or vice versa. The makers of Rogaine cannot make claims unless there are studies to back them up. For instance, they will not say that Rogaine may work on the front hairline or temples but many people find it does.

6. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    My dermatologist recommended using the men's foam to start with.

7. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

why foam and not liquid? what about the 2% liquid for women?

8. psychpharm

psychpharm Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    People think the foam is less irritating to the scalp and less greasy.

9. Gypsy99

Gypsy99 Guest

hi
    front scalp means mid scalp or top scalp. is that right? i have included the link diagram for all scalp. so 5% is much stronger than 2%?

http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/images/avoiding-pitfalls-fig3.jpg

http://www.dermatology.org.my/images/anatomy.jpg