Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Diffuse Thinning And Severe Nape Hair Loss

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Amal07, Oct 6, 2017.

1. sisa

sisa New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Dear Amal07,
    I'm an italian girl (so I'm sorry for my english) :rolleyes:
    Searching something about my hair loss problem on the web, I found your post. My situation looks similar than your.
    I'm 33, and I'm affecting of nape hair loss from about 5 years. I've seen several dermatologists (at the begining they talk about tolgen uffulvium, after about alopecia areata and finally, doing a Biopsia, they said LICHEN PLANUS PILARIS).
    The area affected by my hair loss (nape expecially), it's itching.
    My hair are thinnig and the does not grow.
    What are you doing now? How you are healing? I'm only using OLUX Spuma (cortisone) :(
    I will try to post some pictures about my situation.

Have a nice day.

2. angel84

angel84 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    @Amal07 Did you find out why is your hair falling out?

3. Amal07

Amal07 Member

Dislikes Received:
    My testosterone levels are high and I think this could be the cause of my hair loss.
    What's a bit strange is that I have (almost) all signs of pcos (high T,hair loss,oily skin, hairy body) but I have no cysts,my periods are regular although painful and I'm very skinny and have trouble gaining weight. I also checked iron and ferritin levels..Iron levels are great but ferritin is low (10-120,mine is only 20).
    Currently I'm shedding like never before and it freaks me out....
    Thyroid is also fine...

4. Aragon

Aragon New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Amal how are you doing now? My nape, sides and temples are thinning too. Did you ever figure out the problem?

5. angel84

angel84 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am also interested if you have found what is the reason. I also have nape thinning and now I have those small red patches in nape area like in your images.

6. Amal07

Amal07 Member

Dislikes Received:

Thanks for asking but still shedding like crazy.
    I still don't know what's causing this but it's sooo strange, nape is so thin i just cannot believe it..although i have lost SO MUCH hair the top seems intact,no wider part but underneath like on the sides,temples,nape is so noticeably thin....

7. Amal07

Amal07 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I still don't know the cause...if it's Androgenetic Alopecia i would be losing hair from the top but mine is completely reversed,i lose hair from underneath and the top looks fine...

8. Echristensen010

Echristensen010 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I'm new here. I have just started to notice thinning and, same as you, it's mostly at the back with some thinning at the temples and lots at the nape. This feels like a nightmare! My hair is normally beautiful, thick, and a source of identity for me! I am starting vitamins now (D3, B12, biotin, L-lysine), i have a thyroid test I'm waiting to hear about, and the only derm who specializes in hair loss in my area isn't available for 50 days!

Does anyone have answers?!? Or hope?

9. Echristensen010

Dislikes Received:

Attached Files:

10. Georgina

Georgina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Looks a lot like how mine started. It ended up taking about 3-4cm off my whole hairline all the way around and everything else got really really thin. Still is. Nothing except minoxidil ever worked for me but has now stopped working. My hairloss seems unstoppable. I hope you don’t have androgenetic alopecia. Go see a dermatologist.

11. Echristensen010

Dislikes Received:
    That's terrifying! I'm so sorry!

I don't have a family history of hair loss. So maybe that helps.

I am wondering if it's telogen effluvium. I went through major stress aboutt 2 months ago. Then my hair started coming out but only when I was showering. I was losing a lot! Now it seems to have slowed down. I am doing yoga, meditating, taking vitamins, and talking about my stress to trusted friends. Over the last few days, i have seen a decrease in the amount of shedding. So that's why I think it may be telogen effluvium. But I'm getting in to see a derm soon.

12. Echristensen010

Dislikes Received:
    That's terrifying! I'm so sorry!

I don't have a family history of hair loss. So maybe that helps.

I am wondering if it's telogen effluvium. I went through major stress aboutt 2 months ago. Then my hair started coming out but only when I was showering. I was losing a lot! Now it seems to have slowed down. I am doing yoga, meditating, taking vitamins, and talking about my stress to trusted friends. Over the last few days, i have seen a decrease in the i of shedding. So that's why I think it may be telogen effluvium. But I'm getting in to see a derm soon.

13. Georgina

Georgina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I hope very much for your sake that it is only TE. If you had a few months of severe shedding, that definitely indicates TE, but I will also say that I shed hundreds of hairs daily and it’s just part of my androgenetic alopecia.. very rapid form of it.

I think seeing a derm may help to clear things up. If they know anything about hairloss, they will look for miniturisation and do blood work.

14. Laura Eve

Laura Eve New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I know this is an old thread but hoping everyone is still getting alerts. Can anyone update me on how they're getting on? I have the same symptoms but also have burning. Scalp biopsy said alopecia areata but I'm not convinced. Getting any derms to listen to me is proving difficult!

15. TBell

TBell New Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair loss is also similar and has become very severe over the course of the last year. I have a rapidly receding nape, and extremely thin sides and receding temples. I definitely have miniaturization, too, to the point where when hair falls, the root end will be significantly thinner and lighter than the other end. I also have red, sometimes itchy, patches that seem to follow my nape hairline up as it retreats. Anyone get any info on what this might be? I cannot take anti androgens because of other health conditions :( and will want to have kids in the next five years so I am wary of Minoxidil. Occasionally, parts of my scalp feel bruised or I get the goosebumps feeling and this is all recent since the loss began. Any help would be great. I got diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia but I think there is more to the picture perhaps. Thank you.

16. Laura Eve

Laura Eve New Member

Dislikes Received:
    TBell, When you say red patches - are they raised or scaly in any way, or just red blotches? Do you have any other symptoms - burning? How long has the loss been happening for you?

17. TBell

TBell New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Laura Eve,
    Thankfully no burning! They are slightly raised and scaly- sometimes I can peel them a bit, and I used to get them at my temples in small patches, too, where I now have only suuuuuper miniaturized or no hair. I asked my Derm and she just waved it off saying its probably eczema or psoriasis (wouldn't a derm wanna look and find out which?) She also didn't suggest I do anything about it. Here are 2 admittedly terrible pictures from the other day. I think the loss kick started 3 years ago when I went off Yaz, but I had so much hair it wasn't a problem. It plateaued, and then it has been full steam ahead (I prob have 20% of my hair left) for the last year and some change :( feeling sad.

Attached Files:

18. Laura Eve

Laura Eve New Member

Dislikes Received:
    TBell, I was the same, I had a lot of hair, but that also meant that Drs kept dismissing me. I started losing hair 2 years ago. I also stopped the BCP.
    Can you get a 2nd opinion? Your derm sounds awful - they should at least be looking at those patches!

TBell and TinaM1968 like this.
  19. TBell

TBell New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Laura Eve,
    I got a 2nd opinion by an endo whose entirety of knowledge was printing out the database entry on female hair loss LOL. My derm didn't want to spend more than 10 minutes with me and was pretty dismissive. She even sighed and rolled her eyes when I asked questions about the unusual pattern. When I asked for a biopsy, she said it matters for nothing because the treatments are all the same- Rogaine and Spironolactone (which I cannot take bc of other conditions....but have been considering anyway because of desperation!) I am in a foreign country (Greece) doing research and have an appointment with a dermatologist here, so fingers crossed I learn something new from him!
    Did you find anything that works for you? Or a good derm?

20. BrunoBG

BrunoBG New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey there! Im a 18 years old guys and have the same pattern, thining on the sides, nape and the hairline, I was searching on other forums but with no answer about my pattern. This is really hard for me, in two weeks Im going to see an expert on hairloss, then I will write my answer of what I have, if it can helps