Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Divya's Story (34, Androgenic Alopecia)

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by DivyaJ, Dec 11, 2015.

1. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Member

Dislikes Received:
    I was 16 when my hair started falling out, until then I had long, beautiful black hair that reached my waist. I don't remember noticing a lot of hair fall and I don't remember being too concerned. Since I had had long hair for a while, I was sort of tired of it and just wanted to chop it all off. So the minute a quack suggested that the hair fall could be because my scalp couldn't bear the weight of my long hair, I went to the nearest salon and chopped off over half of it.

I was really tomboyish, and I didn't seem to care that my hair was falling out, not until college when boys started noticing me and I started feeling conscious about my looks. Anyways, it's been 18 years now and I sport a boy cut, I can't ever remember what it felt like to have long hair. I don't remember enjoying a beautiful breeze or the sun...am constantly conscious of my scalp shining through...my hand involuntarily rushes to the rescue of the wisps of hair on my crown when a stiff breeze threatens to blow them away.

Living in India, I see a lot of women with long hair beautifully braided, and I can only look at them longingly. My hair has thinned considerably...to a point where my scalp on the crown is quite visible...and also on the sides of my head...the hairline is still the same though...but there's considerable thinning. Hair still falls out quite a lot...it seems to drop out all on it's own...like trees shedding their leaves in Autumn.

Friends and family tell me it's alright and that it's barely noticeable and that it doesn't matter. But I can't help feeling conscious and this has affected my self-confidence a great deal. If I notice anyone looking at me, I cringe...I know they must be appalled at the sight of my head. Doctors don't seem to care or understand since they see worse health issues, sometimes life-threatening. Sometimes I have to console myself with the thought that I still have enough hair to carefully conceal thin areas. It's quite distressing. It's amazing how many people are totally unaware of Alopecia and how incredibly insensitive they can be.

I've tried all treatments there is, you name it...I've tried it...Alopathy, Homeopathy, Ayurvedic, etc... I've even tried Finestride 5mg per day with Amexidil (has minoxidil, same as Rogaine but less priced). Right now though am taking these herbal supplements called Hair Essentials and Fo-ti root. I've noticed hair growth and have also noticed that my eyebrows and eyelashes have become thicker. Hair Essentials seems to have good reviews- a US-based company. To get the product, I have to ask a friend to buy and ship it to me as Hair Essentials don't ship to India. I hope to see better results in a couple of months.

I've taken some pics, will post them here if I see improvement after two months. The picture attached here is how my scalp looks now.

If not, that's the last. I'm just going to give up on medications and treatments and maybe one day settle for a wig.

#1 DivyaJ, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    binni and Struggling like this.
  2. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your bravery and posting this photo. You seem to be a very strong person with an unbelievable attitude, and that is priceless.

I have heard of Hair Essentials, but I have never tried it. I wish you such good luck in your journey.

There are some amazing wigs out there now--realistic gorgeous ones that are better even when our own hair is at its best.

So much love to you <3

3. chrystalm

chrystalm New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be 23 later this month, but I can relate to the early thinning. I think I've been losing it since highschool, but it's hard to say. It took a while before I started to notice that the hair I was losing wasn't actually growing back- and then it still took years for me to notice how much I was losing. I think at this point I've lost half of the thick nice density I had before the loss began.

It is so devastating to lose hair. At times I feel so mad and sad about losing it- I try to tell myself it's just hair, it's only a big deal for you to lose your hair because society says it is! But it is truly heart breaking and I felt so alone with it all until I found this website. My heart goes out to you.

If you are looking for a temporary solution to help cover your scalp using your existing hair- have you heard of toppik? It is a powder made of hair fibers that you shake onto your hair, it clings to existing hairs to give the appearance of thicker hair.

4. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much for your heartwarming message Wolf924

Years ago in my early twenties, there was one doctor I consulted with who was extremely understanding...he said he understood how conscious I must feel every time someone gapes at my head...he said I should treat them as I would someone who stares at my breasts...

If Hair Essentials works for me, I will definitely post pictures here if it could help others or at least give them some hope...

Much love to you too...thanks for the support

- - - Updated - - -

Hi chrystalm,

I absolutely understand what you must be going through...I often watch women going through all these hair styling procedures that make use of chemicals and still seem to have a head full of hair...and I wonder why I lost my hair when I didn't do anything to it...

But you know what, don't let it stop you from having fun...all through my early twenties...I think I tried different hair colours, styling, etc...regardless of the fact that my scalp was quite visible...I've tried perming...actually I would braid my hair into these tiny braids, like Africans do, leave them overnight...spray some water in the morning and then quickly blow dry them...remove the braids and you have lovely natural perms...and they stay for a day or two...no chemicals at all...and since I have short hair...it would take me a maximum of 45 minutes to braid them...fortunately I have coarse hair, which helps in camouflage (wink)

That's true...society gives so much importance to looks...but over time, with research I learnt that what I have is because of an autoimmune disorder, and I should be glad my quality of life hasn't been affected one bit...autoimmune disorders can manifest in other forms that could be quite debilitating...

Research helped me a lot...I also daydreamed of finding cures (wink) but what I'd like to do is help others gain awareness about Alopecia and its different forms and how, although not life threatening, emotionally distressing it can be.

Check out freedomwigs.co.nz they have amazing wigs that look just like natural hair. Apparently best suited for people with Alopecia Totalis or Universalis. I happened upon their site through the story of a top model Anna Fitzpatrick. I felt much better when I read stories like that. For me, freedomwigs is inaccessible as they do not have a branch in India, also I would have to shave my head entirely to fit the wig.

Yes, I did hear of these hair fibres...something similar to toppik that is available here in India. But they are in such high demand that the store I know runs out of stock at the drop of a hair strand, and this store is located in a different state.

Overtime, I just got fed up of covering or trying these options, or even thinking of wigs. I decided that people who really value me as a person and care about me...wouldn't care about how I look, or that I'm practically bald. And people who judge me based on my looks probably don't deserve my time.

But I still do feel extremely self-conscious in well-lit places and I only visit one hairstylist (although she isn't all that good), because I worry about the comments I might have to put up with or the disdain if I visited a new salon.

All the best lady...am posting here a pic of me with my hair curled/permed. Much love. Divya

#4 DivyaJ, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  5. falling

falling New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Can relate to your story word by word

Hi Divya,

I could have written your story myself word by word. I am an Indian woman too, went from quite thick hair (that I never cared about...too "tomboyish" to look after) and all of a sudden I wake up to the fact that people are staring at my balding scalp once I entered university (and just like you I have been called really rude names by people) and developed really low self esteem as a result.

I have tried everything (Minoxidil, laser, trichologists, Dr. Batras (you would know!), herbs, etc.) but to no effect. I have moved on to concealers and hair pieces finally, and I am glad for that (I had many inhibitions, but I have learnt to live with this solution for now). I would be really happy to offer you any kind of moral support (and receive some from you in return:)).

BTW, I was diagnosed with PCOS, and it is EXTREMELY common among Indian women (especially Punjabi women - I am one), so please get yourself tested if you haven't done so far. It is the ONLY reason for my hairloss, and no herbs are going to help my case therefore! :(

Hugs and love,
    D

binni and DivyaJ like this.
  6. nat123

nat123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Divya, has hair essentials helped you in anyway?

7. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, am so sorry for the late reply. I barely visit this site. Thank you for such an encouraging message. I don't have PCOS. My hair fall is due to a form of autoimmune disorder. I would love some moral support. Thank you. My hair fall has increased since my last message...but I think I'm way more stronger now than I was then.

Much love,
    Divya

8. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Member

Dislikes Received:
    It did for a brief period. I mean, I saw hair growth but not enough to cover my scalp. I didn't see the point in spending so much when I know that there will be no reversal of my condition. It's over two years since I stopped...
    But, mind you, each person is different. It may be more beneficial for you than it was for me. So, please give it a try. I did notice that my eyelashes and eyebrows had become thicker and there was some hair growth on my scalp.

9. Struggling

Struggling New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Divya, you are one brave woman. The answer is out there...keep on trying and I pray you find it!!

10. DivyaJ

DivyaJ Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you. :)