Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Do any of these products increase hairloss?

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by angieangie, Jan 31, 2008.

1. angieangie

angieangie Guest

Blowdryer (without brushing, just drying)
    Gel
    Mousse
    Hair Pomade
    Clips (just to hold up bangs)
    Hairspray

I don't know what to use anymore :(

2. hairyape

hairyape Guest

I know that the blow dryer should not be directly aimed at the scalp on high heat. Some products clog the follicles, and most shampoos contain SLS, (sodium laureth sulfate) an industrial degreaser, not good for the hair.

3. livEyourlife

livEyourlife Guest

blowdrying might cause heat damage, so hair might break easily. i don't know if any of those heat protecting sprays really do protect or not.

and for me personally, my scalp became awful i tried using gel. it started flaking really bad.

4. angieangie

angieangie Guest

I use absolutely nothing on my hair right now, except a straightening iron on my bangs. But I never lose my bangs.

5. hairyape

hairyape Guest

It's important to avoid anything that might create build-up in the follicles

6. angieangie

angieangie Guest

That's why I gave up on all products. I always had gunk in my hair and fixing my hair all the time made it more oily.

7. dying curls

dying curls Guest

if you hair is caused by iron...those product should not really damage your hair...if a hair is to fall out it will fall out anyway...but yeah avoid to clog the follicle.

if you have a tendency to have a greasy scalp get a shampoo like nizoral.
    greasy scalp, itchy scalp, dandruff , are often a sign of high testosterone or oversensivity to androgens.

8. hairyape

hairyape Guest

Less is more when it comes to hair products

9. angieangie

angieangie Guest

All I think I will use right now is baby powder to keep the oil out.

10. GoodYear

GoodYear Guest

I agree!

11. angieangie

angieangie Guest

I think the worst thing is probably hairspray. It breaks hair so easily, and my hair is thick!

12. hairyape

hairyape Guest

I've heard some people say that head-n-shoulders shampoo increased shed, but i'm not sure

13. angieangie

angieangie Guest

I used to use it, and yes, I had problems with it. I'd lose the same amount of hair in the shower, but much more throughout the day. When I stopped it, my shed slowed within 2 days.

14. alicat

alicat Guest

I used it one time and I shed a ton more hairs than I usually do. Who knows it it's related, but given that experience I am NOT going to try it again. My hubby uses it now. It smells good though.

15. hairyape

hairyape Guest

Somehow, men don't complain about it...my husband uses it too.

16. angieangie

angieangie Guest

Yeah, my dad uses it as well. I wish I could use it (I get dandruff easily) but it makes me shed. But since I've been washing my hair more often I barely have any dandruff anymore. Yay!