Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Do I Just Accept My Hair Loss, By Now?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by electra, Jan 6, 2021.

1. electra

electra Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all,
    I've posted before. I'm Menopausal (50) and have had hair loss happening (subtly) since my early to mid-forties...
    Besides my estrogen obviously very low, now (or non-existent?), everything seems to be ok in my body.
    I've been using 82F, a formula made with finastride and minoxidil, for my receding hairline, diffuse shedding, miniaturization, etc.
    Now I see my part widening...slowly.

I am stressing out but not doing much for the hair loss besides the formula. I've seen hair-loss docs, endocrinologists, etc.

I'm tired of stressing out and not knowing what to do.

Is there a holy-grail hair doctor I should see, and then call it a day? I'd prefer to spend my energy on other things...and though I'm freaked out about the hair loss, that won't help me!
    If I were to see one person/doctor (no matter the cost), who could tell me what to try (and then give up if it doesn't work), whom should it be?
    I don't want to go through extensive stuff like PRP.

Thanks for any advice. Ugh!

2. thinhair1

thinhair1 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Electra, sorry I don't have much time for a reply at this moment. I'm in the same boat as you, but my loss started early 30's. I searched high and low and saw a wonderful derm who specialized in hair loss (after many appointments with not helpful derms). Long story short....the sooner you accept hairloss the better, because if what you have is androgenic alopecia (and that's sure what it sounds like) nothing really works. Well, maybe Rogaine helps slow things down. But as my derm said "slowing things down is one thing.....growing hair back is another". What I found was that growing a few hundred hairs back was not going to keep me happy anyway. The only way I could get decent hair back was to wear "faux hair" ie a topper and/or wig. I did find a wonderful online wig group and it is the best group of women you have ever met. And so positive, all ages. So since wearing fake hair I have my smile back and I can MOVE ON with my life, most importantly. Sorry if this is bad news, but I do believe it is the truth. The freedom in wearing fake hair, BTW, is that the obsession with my hairloss stopped because it doesn't matter much if the thinning worsens. I can quit wondering about the future.....I already know, and I'm in control of it. Strangely that has been so freeing for me.

electra likes this.
  3. electra

Dislikes Received:
    thinhair1 I totally agree with you--as in, once we accept it and stop wasting time/emotions looking for that 'cure', we will be happier. Can I PM you? Thanks so much for your reply!!!

4. electra

Dislikes Received:
    Also I wonder if you can share your dermatologist and the wig group? Thank you so much. I can't seem to find a way to message you.