Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Do I Need Ferritin Test If Iron Is Normal?

Discussion in 'AGA Related Blood Work and Doctors' started by Poppy, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Poppy

Poppy New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi! Omg I feel a bit awkward for starting so many threads in the last few days... this hair loss thing is basically taking over my life :(

I recently went to a GP about my hair loss and got my blood tests done. Thyroid and iron came back within the normal range. I'm seeing that a lot of you have gotten your ferritin checked, and I'm wondering if there's any need for me to do that? And if so, how would I go about asking the doctor for the test, if I don't have symptoms of anemia and my iron is normal? I've been to see her like 3 times recently and I don't want her to think I'm crazy lol.....

Thanks!

2. Jettie

Jettie New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes!!!! My iron is within normal limits but my ferritin is low so I would definitely get both done!

3. Poppy

Poppy New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Ughh I should've asked for the test when my doctor was ordering the other ones... I feel like I'm gonna look crazy if I go like once a week to ask for a different test.. :( Did you get zinc and vitamin D tested?

4. Jettie

Jettie New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I had vitamin d done but not zinc. My doctors think I'm crazy too but I tell myself if it helps then its worth it!

5. Poppy

Poppy New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I forgot to ask, did you have symptoms of anemia? I feel perfectly healthy.. AND my hemoglobin is normal.. I don't know how I could ask to test ferritin

6. tula

tula Member

Dislikes Received:
    Get it checked! My iron was above 12 but my ferritin was only 17. Still in the "normal" range but too low for growth. It has been a very slow process to raise it though. I just recently added lysine in hopes it will rise faster.
    I did not have symptoms of anemia. I do feel like my energy level is even better though since starting the iron.
    My vitamin D was normal but I didn't have zinc done. Mine was low about 2 years ago. I should have that checked again too.