Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Do you use facial oils?

Discussion in 'Girl Talk!' started by dragonfly, Mar 1, 2012.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi ladies,
    I've become interested in the idea of cleansing and moisturizing my face with facial oils, and am wondering if any of you use them. If you do, can you share with me what oils you use, how you use them, and how they work for you? I became interested because I bought a different brand of retinol and it chapped my face. I used some Jojba oil and it helped.

2. Vlal

Vlal Guest

I use facial oil as part of my routine - I use it at night... either by adding a drop to my night cream or just using it alone after I applied my toner (I put it on when the toner is still wet on my face as it helps to kinda spread it across my face without using too much). I had some thread veins around my nose/nostril area and it has nearly completely reduced them to zilch. The oil I use is: http://www.johnlewis.com/48702/Product.aspx. It is quite expensive but it lasts a long time as you only need a tiny amount.

3. Greene

Greene Guest

I use the "Oil Cleansing Method" to clean my face at night. I love it. It's like giving yourself a mini-facial each night, and leaves my skin very soft and clean.

I use 1 part castor oil and 2 parts extra virgin olive oil in my mixture. A little goes a long way, and castor oil is like the cheapest thing ever. (EVOO is a bit more expensive, but not too bad.)

4. SabrinaLouise

SabrinaLouise Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I use squalene--I don't oil cleanse, but I use only the smallest amount of cleanser to wash my face and afterwards mix a few drops of the squalene in with a few drops of water and spread it all over my face and neck. It has helped a bunch in reducing excessive oiliness and sebum production on my face in the t-zone. Dr. Pickart of skinbiology.com says that squalene in particular is very close to the skin's own natural oil as is emu oil and I trust what he said to be true :)

http://www.iherb.com/Mayumi-Squalane-Ul ... /6587?at=0

5. Bummer

Bummer Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I use retinoids and when I was going through the dry flakey stage I used olive oil (just the normal extra virgin olive oil that you would buy at the supermarket) mixed with a moisturizer (I just used the moisturizer to give the oil a bit of a thicker consistency).

I read somewhere that olive oil is (molecularly??) closest to the oils your body naturally produces. Worked pretty well for me. I would put it on at night before bed because that stuff made my face shiny and greasy for a while.

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer - when you were going through the flaking stage with the retinol did you reduce the frequency of your use, or did you stick with it and your skin eventually adapted?

Everyone - thank you for your replies. I'm still determining which oils are going to work best for me. I have determined that the Jojba isn't moisturizing enough for me, kind of sits on my face but i still feel dry and my face is flakey. I think when I get off work tonight I'll get some Argan and some Squalane and see who those work.

7. SabrinaLouise

Dislikes Received:
    I use retin-A and I just have to back off sometimes otherwise I will burn my skin. I think you have to be a super-oily person to be able to use it every day--there's just no way I can.

8. Zany

Zany Guest

My face is naturally oily but at night I use organic almond oil 3 times a week, around my eyes, to try to dely the oncoming crows feet! I just massage it into the area, and it seems to be working, as many people always tell me I look younger then my age. I buy the almond oil in a small bottle at the health food store.

9. Bummer

Bummer Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    @dragonfly

I started out really slowly with the retinoids. I used the one with the lowest potency (brand name Differin) and I started out at once every three days. It took a while for my skin to be able to handle even that, but it did happen eventually. If my skin was just dry and flakey, but wasn't feeling like it was irritated, I stuck to my schedule, if it started to hurt or feel chapped or something of that nature then I would wait until that went away before I would use it again. In between I slathered on the moisturizers and oil.

I slowly went from every 3 days, to two, then to everyday. Right now I use Differin every day for the most part and then rotate in the Retin-A about 2 times per week. I probably made it harder on myself by choosing the gel form of the retinoid vs. the cream. I think the gel absorbs faster while the cream contains a "buffer" that can lessen irritation and perhaps make the absorbtion more gradual.

Btw, (I think this is applicable to both the gel and the cream versions of the retinoids) you can wait 20 minutes after washing your face before applying the retinoid (which gives your skin a bit of time to replenish its natural oils) and then wait another 20 minutes and apply a moisturizer, which will slow down the absorbtion. This will help take away some of the potency while your skin is still getting used to it.

Hope that was helpful.

10. SabrinaLouise

Dislikes Received:
    I lubed up my face tonight with Jojoba oil--I've read that both refined mineral oil and jojoba oil will literally melt the sebum plugs in your pores. We shall see if I wake up with a bunch of pimples on my face or clear looking pores. Experimenting tonight. Still my fave is the squalene.

11. SabrinaLouise

Dislikes Received:
    Jojoba experiment went well--no pimples, so it is definitely not a pore clogger.

12. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've been experiencing with the oils for a little bit now. I use Almond oil to remove my eye makeup, and it works great, I put a bit of Argan oil in my moisturizer and I use Jojba in my body lotion after my shower. I am absolutely loving it :).