Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Does Anyone Else Have A Pattern Like This?

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Georgina, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Georgina

Georgina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    8AC57CBB-C5F8-44C7-9F07-D7381CD2417D.jpeg Hi ladies

I’m a 25 year old Australian girl, been dealing with hairloss since I was 20 but only really noticed at 21. At 22 I had scalp biopsies. The first two areas were the parietal and occipital scalp which showed no miniturisation. Second one was my left side hairline at the temple, which showed a very very dense amount of miniturisation, so the closest diagnosis was Androgenetic Alopecia. I was tested for frontal fibrosing alopecia and that was a negative thankfully. All my bloods were never consistent with autoimmune hairloss, nor did the biopsies show anything related to that. I went through menopause very young so I just assumed that’s what started it all.

Anyway, what I really struggle with is my strange pattern. I have diffuse loss all over my head and the top does seem to be the thinnest spot. I also have thinning of my eyebrows and eyelashes. They seem to essentially be miniturising too. Thin, weak and short hairs began to replace once long and thick lashes and brows, just like my hairline. This is the most confusing part for me: My entire hairline without treatment recedes. I don’t just mean my temples, which are very miniturised, I mean the sides, around ears, nape. Like a shrinking puddle. I barely remember what my original hairline looks like because it is just completely altered these days. Whilst my left temple is far worse than my right and looks very receded, the worst actually seems to be my sideburn and ear area. If I pull my hair back it looks like I’ve had a facelift. Before I began minoxidil in 2015, my hairline was damn near behind my ears. I shaved my hair it got so bad. Luckily minoxidil regrew some form of strange hairline (a hairline nonetheless) for the last 3 years, but now it seems to have lost its effect and my hairline is now rapidly receding again. Eyebrows thinning, eyelashes growing shorter and shorter, very thin and fragile.
    It has to be Androgenetic Alopecia because it can’t really be anything else. Nothing else fits. What I don’t understand is this bizarre pattern. Temporal recession makes sense, diffuse thinning makes sense, but the loss of my nape, sideburn and around ear hair is just so confusing. I’ll attach a photo of what I mean. Has anyone else got this strange pattern? Any facial hair thinning? Whole hairline? I’m so lost. This pattern looks so freakish.

2. alexia35

alexia35 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes as well. My hair became thin on the sides. But above, the skull is not visible but I feel a lack of density. I also did a biopsy because I was afraid of fibrosing alopecia but the results were androgenic alopecia. I do not have smooth areas but a lot of vellus.
    But I saw another dermatologist who looks more at a telogen effluvium .... With a small androgenic alopecia and more.
    I have no loss elsewhere. But my hair has changed texture; very dry, coarse, kinky. You too?

3. Georgina

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah dry and dull, the hard around my hairline is either unpigmented vellus hair or kinky short hairs that are not fully terminal.
    You have temple and nape recession recession also?

4. alexia35

alexia35 Member

Dislikes Received:
    just temple!

5. Georgina

Dislikes Received:
    Ok. The entire circumference of my hairline is receding. Our patterns are not the same.

6. alexia35

alexia35 Member

Dislikes Received:
    temples and hairline.I have a lot of vellus hair instead. There is some hair terminal.

TinaM1968 likes this.
  7. alexia35

alexia35 Member

Dislikes Received:
    can be retrograde alopecia?

8. Georgina

Dislikes Received:
    Yes but often with retrograde there is still some hair left where the original hairline was. Mine has receded about 3 cm with no hair left where it was. Also my eyebrows and eyelashes are going.

9. mem0307

mem0307 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Research Frontal Fibrosing Alopecia. From your description it’s sounds like there might be a connection between the two

10. Georgina

Dislikes Received:
    I have. I got a biopsy for it three years ago and it came back negative.

11. alexia35

alexia35 Member

Dislikes Received:
    but do you have vellus hair on the 3 cm? where is this smooth?

12. Georgina

Dislikes Received:
    What happens is the hair miniturises then falls out, and where my hairline once was there is no hair. However when I started using minoxidil 3 years ago it all grew back so it’s not scarring alopecia.

13. alexia35

alexia35 Member

Dislikes Received:
    so it's all smooth?

14. losing_it

losing_it Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pretty similar pattern. My entire circumference has thinned. Temples particularly bad, but nape and behind ears as well. Started when I was 22, I’m 29 now.

I always thought it was TE because of the sheer volume of hair I lose per day... sometimes up to 400, but it goes up and down day to day. Also when I was 25 my shedding stopped and all my hair grew back in and looked as healthy as it did before hair loss (not sure what caused that- perhaps PRP). But when I was 27 it started shedding again and recently I’ve seen a lot of miniaturized hairs, so I think I initially had TE that unmasked Androgenetic Alopecia.

I started dermastamping in february and it really filled in my temples. I was doing 1.5mm once per week and 0.75 4 times per week. Recently I’ve been on a 2 month trip around India and Sri Lanka and only brought the 1.5mm stamp, so only stamping once per week, and my temples have thinned out again. Can’t wait to get home and get back into a better routine with it!

TinaM1968 and Georgina like this.
  15. Georgina

Dislikes Received:
    That’s every interesting and thanks for sharing. Do you have diffuse loss throughout also?

I tried prp a few months back and have had 3 sessions. I feel as though it has thickened the top of my head but my hairline is just this monster that is unstoppable. Even when minoxidil was working it would still fall out and grow back in 3 month cycles. Who knows why. It is the most troublesome area of my hairloss for sure. I don’t know where the recession will stop. I’ll probably be left with a little tuft at the back of my head like friar tuck!

I have been stamping and rolling as well. Not sure if it’s helped to maintain some of the hair on my hairline, but I have only been doing it consistently since about July-August. Have you used any topical treatments in conjunction with your stamping? May I ask what other treatments you have used for your hairloss?

Really appreciate your feedback!

16. Georgina

Dislikes Received:
    Once it goes, there’s no hair left. Just like a man who’s temples recede, but my whole hairline. When I regrew all my hair back from minoxidil i was so go smacked that thick black hairs were growing out of areas where it had been bare the before. It’s all so confusing.

17. unefemme

unefemme Member

Dislikes Received:
    I, too, had thinning brows and lashes, so I began using Latisse as soon as I realized that the loss was not normal - probably a year after the loss started. I've been using it for almost 6 years and it has saved my lashes and brows. I use it 6x per week. It's not inexpensive and most insurances will not cover the cost b/c it's considered "cosmetic". (How would one of the insurance folks like dealing with no lashes and brow hair? Just think of the dust and stuff from which the lashes and brows protect our eyes! Anyhow, perhaps it's a possibility for you. And, yes, I've also been dealing with hair loss... no fun.

Georgina likes this.
  18. Georgina

Dislikes Received:
    Hi

I used it too, but th generic version called bimatoprost, which is just the active ingredient in it. Only problem is that my eyelashes and eyebrows have grown thinner in diameter, not just shorter. But it does help make them longer. By the way, I know a place you get get bimatoprost from very cheap, and I can attest to the fact that it’s real stuff. Latisse is a total rip off. Here’s where I get it https://www.alldaychemist.com/bimat-bimatoprost-3ml-eyedrop.html

It’s literally 10x cheaper than what you would pay for Latisse.

19. tula

tula Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have temple thinning and my hairline is receding. Mine also started as a TE that turned into Androgenetic Alopecia. I am also losing my eyebrows and my nape is thin. I have diffuse thinning but it’s definitely the worst on top. I cut it into a pixie and it looks a lot better.
    I just started Rogaine this week. I’m terrified it will make things worse or just not do anything. But I have to try and at least save what I have.
    I attached a temple view so you can see. I have just finally given into the fact that my moms hair looks very similar. Hers started from menopause in her 50s and took 10-12 years to get where it is now though. Mine started in my early 30s and took 3 years to look worse than hers. It’s depressing.

Attached Files:

Georgina likes this.
  20. Georgina

Dislikes Received:
    Hi

I used it too, but th generic version called bimatoprost, which is just the active ingredient in it. Only problem is that my eyelashes and eyebrows have grown thinner in diameter, not just shorter. But it does help make them longer. By the way, I know a place you get get bimatoprost from very cheap, and I can attest to the fact that it’s real stuff. Latisse is a total rip off. Here’s where I get it