Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Does anyone over 35 feel like certain colour eye-shadow or makes you look older?

Discussion in 'Girl Talk!' started by DarkWitch1111, Apr 15, 2015.

1. DarkWitch1111

DarkWitch1111 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I felt I looked a it rough, pale with hardly any eyelashes then I pt a bronze crayon eye-shadow on with black eye-liner and I feel it's made me look older. I'm not going anywhere, been housebound for 3 weeks but I'm paranoid now about certain colours making me look older. My natural hair colour (what's left of it) is fairly dark but I wear blonde wigs. Maybe I wouldn't look so bad then? Or with false eyelashes as I have hardly any lashes left.

2. JKSZ

JKSZ Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe use a lighter eyeliner? I've always used a brown shadow (since high school!) and, as I've aged, went from black to dark brown to now (age 52) a medium-brown eyeliner. I still use black mascara (brown eyes, dark brown hair). I read that dark eyeliner is not a good choice for older women--although if you're still in your 30s, you're still young.

3. DarkWitch1111

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm only just still in my 30s: I'll be 39 tmr. They eyeliner used was quite a light, greyish black but I think I put too much on underneath. I look younger with my blonde wigs on as well.

4. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Just got eyelash extensions this week and it made a big difference. I'm much older (67) and have read that ladies of my advanced years should stick to matte colors as opposed to shiny and glittery in eye shadow.

5. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Dark witch--yes I do feel like some colors are wrong on me. I sued to be able to wear a bronze color, but I feel like its sits in my wrinkles now....I am 34--nearly 35. I find a light grey under the eye looks better. I have brown eyes. I do like Bed Head makeup products--do you know this brand?

- - - Updated - - -

*used. I have nearly black hair too--so I feel good when I clip in my extensions. I am actually loving wearing hair.

- - - Updated - - -

Lily--where can you get eyelash extensions and are they expensive? I have noticed my lashes and brows are jumping ship too.

6. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Found an aesthetician who does eyelash extensions - it's fairly pricey ($150) and you have to go every 3-4 weeks for a touch-up. Love the new look though!

7. DarkWitch1111

Dislikes Received:
    i DUNNO i THINK THE MIXTURE OF METALLIC BRONZE AND THICK BLaCk EYE-LINER UNdER THE LIDS JUST DREW ATTENTION TO MY AGE. Oops, sorry caps. Bloody hell Lily that sounds painful! Why not just wear false lashes? Or draw eyebrow on! That's what I do. It's up to you though of course.

Wolf: have heard of bed head but not had any experience of them. Is there a particular reason why you like them?

8. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    The application wasn't painful - I'll see how it holds up before committing to it long term. I wanted something I didn't have to fiddle with on a daily basis.

9. DarkWitch1111

Dislikes Received:
    Well good luck!

10. ILikeSkittles

ILikeSkittles New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm only 25 and I can't wear dark shadows or certain colors, they just don't look flattering on me. I look best in light, matte neutral shadows. Maybe a shimmery bronze if I'm going somewhere really special... but overall the glittery/shimmery shades don't look as good on me as they did when I was a teen. It just feels overdone, even though I love the look of dark eye makeup! I just don't love it on myself anymore.

11. Nerak

Nerak Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Over 40 less is more when it comes to makeup for me. The more I apply the older I look.

I focus my time and money on skin care and foundation as good skin is always a great start. After that, neutral colour eye shadow (nothing shimmery, gets in the wrinkles), light brown eyeliner, brown mascara and natural lip gloss. I am very fair so couldn't ever really carry off the more dramatic looks anyway.

I tried eyelash extensions (individual lashes glued to own) a while back and found they look amazing when new but get ropey after a couple of weeks. I didn't have the time for the constant maintenance. When I finally gave up on them my natural lashes were wrecked.

I used a lash growth serum to help my lashes recover then continued with it. My own lashes are now nearly as long as extensions and with a good mascara look just a good.

Might be worth a try if the extensions don't work out