Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Does Rogaine Cause Depression

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Butterfly1975, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Butterfly1975

Butterfly1975 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello. I have had a history of anxiety and depression and have been on medication for a year and was doing well, but after a month being on 5% Rogaine Foam I noticed being depressed and anxious. Is it a coincidence or does Rogaine cause depression, anxiety. Really need an answer cause I feel awful. If it is the Rogaine I will have to quit cause I hate the way I am feeling. Thanks so much.

2. Ruth

Ruth Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don t think so.
    Have not experienced this and have never heard of it. It is probably a coincidence.
    Hairloss can make you feel depressed so that's probably the reason

3. Butterfly1975

Butterfly1975 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks so much Ruth for answering my question. When exactly did you see improvement? I have been using Rogaine 5% foam once a day for 5 weeks. Seen a lot of miniature hairs falling off. No improvement as of yet. I hope I will see improvement when I hit two months just to give me encouragement. Also how long have you been having hair loss before you did anything? I believe mine started 8 years ago or more so I hope Rogaine will work. Thanks again.

4. canadianhair

canadianhair New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Your mood may alter while using Rogaine, but it may not necessarily be caused by the treatment. It’s natural to lose confidence and feel depressed when suffering from hair loss. There is no research or proven correlation between Rogaine and low mood or depressive tendencies.

5. losing_it

losing_it Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have had issues with depression as a teen, and was circumstantially depressed over hair loss for several years, but never took meds for that because I knew it was hair loss depression rather than a chemical imbalance. I did not notice anything changing from Rogaine. Actually, Rogaine has made me incredibly more happy because my hair is so much better. And to answer the question you asked Ruth, I noticed results 3 months in, but it wasn't until 6 months that I got a lot more confident, and about 9 months is when I was worry free! Stick with it and I think you will notice a mood improvement once your hair loss slows down :) The path to "recovery" is not quick, but it is worth it. Good luck!