Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Does scalp pain = hairloss?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by worriedmommy, Sep 21, 2012.

1. worriedmommy

worriedmommy Guest

Has anyone experience an increase in shedding when they have scalp pain/tenderness on their heads.

2. somegirl

somegirl Guest

Sorry to report that I did, today.
    140 just from brushing, reached 200 by the end of the day. Most of them pathetic looking hairs, way more of them than usual.
    My worst day since this began.
    Trying so hard not to lose it.
    And my scalp hurts, like after a tight ponytail (minus the ponytail).
    And I just can't get rid of the itchy scalp. Tried regular shampoo yesterday instead of the tea oil one which was only causing more build-up and this was the sorry result.
    Nothing works.
    Sorry for being a wet blanket. Not a good day for me.

3. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Somegirl,

I am the queen of itchy scalps! I have been using Jason which I bought at whole food it is the one for itchy dry scalp and I have been using it for a week and I have some improvement!! Give it a try. Do you have a dry scalp? I think that is why mine is SO itchy.

4. somegirl

somegirl Guest

I don't know what it is, dry or oily, it seems to change from one day to the other. It always used to be normal, now it's crazy.
    Thanks for the tip but I don't think Jason is available here, I don't live in the U.S.

5. HairyIssues

HairyIssues Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I believe there is a name to this condition and it's thought to be psychological. Someone had posted about this before, try searching the archives.

6. worriedmommy

worriedmommy Guest

My scalp still hurts...just washed my hair and I did not use Nizoral today...I used tea tree shampoo and conditioner that I had bought a few months ago. Before I shampooed I used Apple Vinegar Cider hoping that would help but no such luck :( I did however loose just a tiny bit less hair in the shower today...usually I loose 350+ but today was 240 (shampoo, conditioner, blow drying and brushing)...not much better but almost 100 hairs less.

@ somegirl...you are not being a wet blanket...its such a difficult thing that we are dealing with. Thank goodness we can all relate to each other. I know its not easy loosing so much hair...I shed sooo much on a daily basis...my wash days are si bad that I get anxiety before I get into the shower :( Hope ur day gets better!!!

@ mycurlyhair...I didn't get an.opportunity to go to Whole Foods today but I will go tomorrow. Anything else I should consider buying (shampoo, conditioner, etc)?

@ hairyissues...are you referring to the post by Donna?

7. neencali

neencali Guest

I don't agree that it is psychological. I had real pain in my scalp every time I had loss. It was tender and felt like it had been pulled out. I have very sensitive skin so that is probably why. I also experience extreeeeeeeem itchy before a fall out. Sadly it is itchy at the grow back stage too so I am constantly checking to figure out which it is. lol
    It sounds like you have inflammation going on. I went on a strict anti-inflammation diet. You can google to find out what is in and what is out. I believe it helped. I also cut out sugar and gluten. what i was left with was lean meat, fresh veggies and fresh fruit - super healthy and i lost wt as a bonus. I got back on the sugar and feel awful so I am trying to get back off again. It is an addiction - lol. Best of luck to you. I know how hard it can be.

8. dancer

dancer Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Neen I dont agree it is psychological. I have had itchy sore head on and off since I was diagnoised. I have one spot and its always the same area that feels like I have bumped my head, a bruised feeling. It seems to make no difference at what stage I am at, growing, falling out, dormant and as of yet I personally have not found any answer that works to keep it away long term.

I hope it settles down for you, I have experienced months where it dissapears :)

9. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Need,

Are you talking about the paleo diet? I have been wanting to do this! Right now I am doing daily free and testing that. I am starting to think that some of these problems are related to diet. Only since I found out I have allergies last month. I have heard alot of good results on the paleo diet for scalp pain! :) It is just hard to do. I pretty much eat just meat, veggies, and fruit too but once in awhile eat other things. It is hard because I am so thin and need to snack alot to try and keep up so I dont know what I can snack on. I think I have a problem with nuts too :( In the past couple weeks I have stopped taking my iron (it went up), switched to sls free shampoos, and doing daily free and my itch (had skin itch too) is better by 50 percent! (know on wood, hate to jinx myself! :(

Hairyissues, Do you know how to find that post you are talking about? It is about dry scalp/itch? I would love to know!

Somegirl, Maybe you can order it online? When you touch your scalp does it feel greasy? Mine just feels dry and flakes off too, I could not wash it for days and it will still not be oily! My skin too.

Worriedmommy, Just look around there and see what looks to you. I have heard that coconut oil is also really good for your hair and scalp. I tired it once but it wasn't enough to see anything.

10. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi girls,

Keratin.com has some information on burning scalp pain:

http://www.keratin.com/ao/ao020.shtml

I've never experienced pain with my hairloss but have experienced itchiness and a creepy crawly sensation on my scalp both when hair was growing in or falling. Some Alopecia Areata sufferers do experience pain too. There was a time on the defunct MSN Alopecia Areata Support community where members were putting using ice packs on their head which they felt helped. :) Some of their derms prescribed Clobetasol which is corticosteroid cream which is often as an Alopecia Areata treatment.

My mom was having a lot of problems with scalp redness, itchiness, & creepy crawly feelings. I took her to a derm considered top notch in our area.(It was a six month wait for an appointment) Believe it or not he advised her to start using Head and Shoulders which I would have thought would be too harsh. She had tried a prescription shampoo previously prescribed by the doctor at the home where she lives. It was called Stieprox. The Head and Shoulders worked better to solve her situation then the Stieprox. She was having some hairloss at the time too but nothing really significant.

Joann

11. HairyIssues

HairyIssues Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    That's it, Burning Scalp Syndrome, they treat it with antidepressants.

I had it for many years, specially when washing my hair or coloring it. I always assumed it was because there was less hair on my head protecting scalp skin from heat, cold, color, etc. Strangely, I haven't felt anything for a long time, perhaps because I'm not so concerned with hair loss anymore and not paying attention to pain.

12. mycurlyhair

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe but I think you would feel the burn? lol Thanks for the info, I have heard of that one too. My burn comes and goes. I can have it for a week then it is gone for a month. I am trying to figure out of triggers now!

13. somegirl

somegirl Guest

There are days when it feels a bit oily and then days when its really dry. It's itchy when it's oily.
    Tea tree oil shampoo makes it worse instead of better, so does every other anti dandruff shampoo...even Nizoral. I don't get it.
    Trying the Phytosylic today, hope it works. If not I'll try the online option :)

It must all be hormonal since my skin, my scalp and my shedding all went downhill a the same time...

14. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
  15. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Tori,

Nice to see you checking in :) I don't think you're a downer. I'm glad that you're moving forward and not letting hair loss be all consuming for you. I've been here around 7-8 yrs. I've seen members come and go & new ones take their place. I wish there wasn't a need for a women's hairloss forum but glad that no one has to cope on their own when they are new and struggling with it.

Take care,
    Hugs,
    Joann

16. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely! I will always check in from time to time. It's the only place we're all truly understood.. even the most understanding person won't really get it like we do unless they're going through it too. So thankful for all of you :) Hope you're doing well Joann xo

17. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm doing well now. I went through a moderate depression in the spring. I'm prone to depression & anxiety but I had been well for 10 years so it took me by surprise.

18. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I go through it too once in a blue moon. Depression anyway.. anxiety quite a bit more often unfortunately.
    I'm sorry to hear that Joann, but I'm glad to hear you're back on track :)

19. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Tori. Be well :grouphug:

20. Afrihair

Afrihair Guest

Hormones

My scalp in the crown area is extremely tender just before my period each and every month. Hair loss also accelerates at about the same time. The rest of the month I have a constant itch in the back area.

The hair I have does grow at about the same rate as it always has. I have however notices that the temple area hair (where I have the most loss) is finer than the rest of the head.