Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Does telogen effluvium end suddenly or slowly?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by cwoc, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Kristine8882002

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome to the site! :)
    If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had TE?

2. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I had a minor bout of it last year from June-ish to Nov/Dec and then it came back again in early May of this year and it's still ongoing

3. Kristine8882002

Dislikes Received:
    Have you had blood work to check for a hormonal imbalance?

4. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    yes: last year, my derm did a full range of tests, but the only things that jumped out at her were my ferritin and vitamin d. my ferritin was 15 and my vitamin d was 12. when i got re-tested in June of this year, my ferritin was 76 and my vitamin d was 40. i'm actually seeing my PCP tomorrow, and i'm going to ask her to take my blood again. is there anything you think i should ask for?

5. Kristine8882002

Dislikes Received:
    I think the blood work is a good start! You could also ask them if taking a biotin supplement would be good! Thru should be able to tell you if that could help.

6. Kristine8882002

Dislikes Received:
    5 Long Years
    'Remission Story'

September 17th 2013 was one of the scariest days of my entire life. I woke, brushed my hair, and on that hair brush was one hundred 'estimate' strands. I thought really nothing of if at the time, but later I went to my hairdresser for a trim, and she was very concerned! I remember those haunting words she said "Kristi, when I washed your hair 150 strands came out!" My heart stopped! This was actually happening! I'm 23 and my hair is falling out!!!!!! I felt so scared! I couldn't piece together why this was happening! Blood work sad done! Thyroid Ultra Sound! They kept telling me I was healthy 'Thank God' but still why all this hair loss? After a few months of this horrendous hair fall my hair texture felt fried! All the conditioner in the world wouldn't help this hair! Where was my luscious blonde locks? I just didn't understand why this sad happening, and I was ashamed that I cared so much. The shed started after I quit antidepressants cold turkey. I cried, I denied, and I felt ashamed! The first year was the hardest. As time went on it got easier. When I hit the 2 year mark I basically accepted that this was it, this was my new normal.
    2018: After 5 years of Chronic TE I'm in remission! Anxiety and Panic attacks kept the TE going. Now I am anxiety free and I guess my hair noticed. I'm not sure if it will ever come back, but I will give another update in two months!

Kristi
    '5 years Chronic TE Remission'

7. RoxyT

RoxyT New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Kristi, thank you so much for sharing your story. That gives me renewed hope. May you enjoy remission for a long, long time!

8. Kristine8882002

Dislikes Received:
    2 Month Update!
    Hello Beautifuls!
    As promised I'm here to share my two month update! My hair is still feeling soft and healthy! It is also feeling a bit thicker! It was shedding pretty bad a month ago, but it was just a seasonal shed! YAY! :) Here is a short list of products that I highly recommend! These seriously are amazing!
    1. Matrix 'Fiber strong' Shampoo for Fragile hair, and/or Bed Head Recovery shampoo! Blue bottle. (I go back and fourth with these two).
    2. Matrix Total Results 20 miracle creator (leave in).
    3. Paul Mitchel Skinny Serum.

I will post another update in 2 months! Stay Strong!

Kristi :)

9. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the update, Kristi! Glad to hear you're still doing well. I'm going to check out that Matrix leave-in spray!

10. Kristine8882002

Dislikes Received:
    Relapse

Hello Beautifuls :)
    So I'm here to give you an update on my remission. Unfortunately my shed has started back, and my hair is dry and brittle once again. The thing is, I'm not sad, or angry, because I know my anxiety has been so high lately. I know that it can stop, and I know that it can start right back up. I don't want to lie to any of you, so I am being honest, it came back. Please don't say sorry, or feel bad because that it the last thing I want. Let's all stay strong. :)

Kristi :)

TinaM1968 likes this.
  11. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Member

Dislikes Received:
    So your anxiety changed your hair texture as well? Dry and brittle?

12. Kristine8882002

Dislikes Received:
    Oh no, my anxiety triggered another shed as I was in remission. My anxiety is the reason that my telogen effluvium has lasted so long. I have panic disorder as well as generalized anxiety which can cause hair loss. Within the last two months I have been very nervous, and on edge so I had a feeling that it could trigger a shed.

13. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I believe same for me. Since the tooth issue In December I felt my anxiety skyrocket. And the scalp pain and sure enough more hair fall again. My hair looks fried. I guess that’s the best way to describe it and just more falling . I have the same nervous nature as well especially since this all started. Is any area worse then others for you? My sides are the worst but it’s all over thinning as well. Have you found anything that helps with your anxiety?

#93 TinaM1968, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  14. grace90

grace90 Member

Dislikes Received:
    ashwaganda supplements have honestly helped my anxiety a lot