Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Dr. Cotsarelis research

Discussion in 'New Research, Studies, and Discoveries' started by pholliclephysiology, Jan 9, 2008.

1. ginawat

ginawat Guest

Lee -

I know he (Dr. Garza) is located in the same place as Cotsarelis - but I don't have his #. I'd try calling Dr. C again and asking for Dr. Garza's info. I pitched it after finding out that he had a 1yr waiting list. :(

2. jerseygirl

jerseygirl Guest

Dr. Cotsarelis's office # is 610-902-2400.

3. Lee112780

Lee112780 Guest

4. hairremedy12

hairremedy12 Guest

I have an appt scheduled with Dr Cotsarelis for June 2008. He had a 1 year waiting period when I scheduled the appt.
    I believe they said he only sees patients (1) day a week now and does research on the rest.

I have actually gone to see Dr Garza when he was in the residency program this was maybe 2 years ago, he is based in the Phila office. Unfortunately he was not able to help me at all. I understand that he has a special interest in hair loss and has watched Dr Cots somewhat but since he just recently graduated I didn't think he had the expertise to handle a complex hairloss issue. But you should be able to get an appt. with him fairly quickly though. He is a very nice man though. I had asked him if he could ask Dr Cotsarelis about my problem and consult with him to try to figure it out and he said Dr Cotsarelis is too busy for him to check with. So I decided to wait for the appt. with Dr Cotsarelis and speak with him directly. He is known as the prominent expert in this area.

Please let me know anyone who has seen Dr Cotsarelis what different types of treatments that he has been recommending.

5. jerseygirl

jerseygirl Guest

I have seen Dr. C. I scheduled my appointment in March of 2007 and had my first visit Feb 2008 with a follow up a week ago. He was not impressed with the first biopsy I had which showed Lichen Planopilaris. He did his own biopsy which was much more detailed and pointed toward Androgenetic Alopecia. He said to use Rogaine and come back in a year. That is about it. He does not prescribe propecia or avodart to women.

6. dying curls

dying curls Guest

he did not mention anything about his research???

mh i think we're stuck with hair loss till the end. i just made the decision that i will give up on having a kid to preserve whatever i might preserve of my hair.

7. Lee112780

Lee112780 Guest

Hi...what is your condition that he can't help? He prob won't be able to help me then...I have Alopecia Universalis

8. jerseygirl

jerseygirl Guest

No, he did not talk about his research at all. I did ask about the clinical trials and he said he did not know when they would start but would not be done in this area (Philadelphia).

9. ttc

ttc Guest

jersey girl~Did he say why he doesn't prescribe avodart or propecia? Does he feel they don't work or is it because we are women and the birth defect issue? Did you feel he was worth all the hype and got you anywhere? Have you tried the Rogaine as he said?

10. jerseygirl

jerseygirl Guest

He really didn't say why he doesn't prescribe them for women. I did not ask because I really wasn't eager to try either one anyway. I think he is a very brilliant and thorough man. I did start the Rogaine as he suggested. It has been 6 weeks and I am "dread shedding" at the moment. He said that is actually a good sign that I should respond to it. He thinks the "shed" should last one to two months, then should stop. He thinks I will get to a point where I hardly shed at all. I am hoping! I'll give it a year and see where I am at. I go back to him a year from now.

11. ttc

ttc Guest

are you on 5% rogaine? Is it a brand he sells or one you can get anywhere? Also, how old are you and how much hair would you say you have lost?Sorry for the overload of questions..can't help myself! Thanks :)

12. jerseygirl

jerseygirl Guest

I am on 5% generic minoxidil (from Costco). He said if it irritates my scalp (which it has not so far) I can try the 2% or the foam. I am 52. I have thinning on top and temples (classic Androgenetic Alopecia). I am not sure how much I lost or how much regrowth I've had. I had a massive TE shed lasting almost a year and a half that was triggered by autoimmune issues. My shedding stopped last summer after starting Fish Oil (not sure if there is a connection there). Now it is shedding again due to the Rogaine. I'll give it a year. Thank goodness for toppers!

13. ttc

ttc Guest

Did he recommend fish oil or was that your own thing?

14. jerseygirl

jerseygirl Guest

No, that was recommended by my pcp. I am on a prescription strength, Lovaza.

15. hairremedy12

hairremedy12 Guest

Hello Lee,
    You asked about Dr Garza.
    I have not yet gotten a definite dx. It is primarily Androgenetic Alopecia I think with some areas of Alopecia Areata, but I have not been able to get the same diagnosis from more than (1) derm doctor.
    I don't want to disuade you from seeing Dr Garza, I'm just saying he couldn't help me and since he is newly graduated he does not have the experience level yet as Dr Cotsarelis.He is a very nice but young man. He may be able to help you it's always worth a try, but I will have to wait until June to see Dr. Cotsarellis.

I was hoping that there was more out there to try for Androgenetic Alopecia than rogain.

16. Lee112780

Lee112780 Guest

I think I will just have my derm call. When I called, it said that he wasnt even accepting any patients! Im sure if my doctor calls, he can get me in. I wouldn't say that normally, but I have the most extreme case of hairloss...so, they should take me right? Especially if they are researching it.

17. GoodYear

GoodYear Guest

Hi Jersey girl: what kind of auto immune things? I have arthritis.

18. jerseygirl

jerseygirl Guest

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I have also had two exacerbations of lymphocytic colitis which is thought to be autoimmune.

19. alicat

alicat Guest

Hey jerseygirl

I have Hashimoto's as well. Do you find your hair loss is severe? Mine is and I wonder if it's possible Hashi's can do that?