Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Dutasteride and Finasteride Thread

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by megan99, Dec 11, 2015.

1. megan99

megan99 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I would like to start this thread dedicated to discussion of dutasteride and finasteride treatment for women's hair loss. I will be posting all the current studies on both drugs efficacy in women.

Please post your experience with using either treatment. Androgenetic Alopecia is a very aggressive condition and often spironolactone and minoxidil are not sufficient to prevent progression of hair loss in many women. I am surprised that there has not been more discussion on these two treatments considering that most top hair doctors are prescribing both drugs off-label regularly to women with Androgenetic Alopecia hair loss. I have been told personally by a top doctor in NYC that it all we have to fight hair loss effectively.

Please contribute to this discussion if you can!

2. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I was actually under a completely different impression about Spironolactone vs. Finestaride. Some men even risk the feminization, gynecomastia, erectile dysfunction, etc. side effects of Spironolactone to treat/slow their Androgenetic Alopecia, bc a lot of people think it works better than Finestaride. I do think Finestaride reduces DHT levels more than Spironolactone, bc Spironolactone only reduces DHT indirectly, but Spironolactone has several mechanisms of action that make it estrogenic. And estrogen signals hair growth. Spironolactone is often credited with the reversal of hair loss in MTF transgendered people who take it as part of their hormone replacement treatments (or perhaps more accurately, the combination of Spironolactone and estradiol.)

I could be totally wrong of course. This is just the conclusion I've come to in my research.

I do think Finestaride is a good treatment for women for whom Spironolactone doesn't work, or even as a "complementary" treatment to Spironolactone and birth control pills in aggressive or treatment resistant Androgenetic Alopecia, bc it will provide even more protection from DHT.

3. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I picked up information about Dudasterid in Dr Redmond`s book "Its your hormones". Megan, is it him by any chance to whom you are referring as a top Dr in NY ? I am taking it now, 0.5 mg every day. No idea if it really helps, because I am also on Rogaine, used to take Diane35 (switched to Yasmin now), because Diane made me put on weight.

4. jordan1234

jordan1234 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I just read a lot of Dr R's book last night. I have an appt today with my derm. I tried sprio alone over the summer along with 5% rogaine, I gave it 4 months and it seemed my hair was worse so I stopped both. That was a mistake because now 3-4 months later I have less hair than ever before and I am guessing my recent shed is from stopping the Spironolactone according to Dr R's book-that it takes 3 months for hair to fall out. Or maybe the Rogaine was making it bad, I should have not done both at the same time. So I am now wondering if I should try the finn alone or Spironolactone again, with the finn? I also think I need estrogen so maybe get on the pill since I am 44 and still have periods. My hormones are all normal but my testosterone is super low, I just must be sensitive to DHT. I don't want to start too much at once again, so I will see what she says.

5. Kristina

Kristina New Member

Dislikes Received:
    As I understand it Finasteride only blocks one enzyme namely, 5α-reductase which converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT).

Whereas Spironolactone apart from blocking androgens from interacting with the androgen receptor, also acts as a weak progesterone blocker which can among other things cause menstrual irregularities and it influences your estrogen levels as well (for example conversion of estradiol to estrone).
    Apart from these charming "bi-products" Spironolactone also decreases re-absorption of sodium and water and can lower your blood pressure.

I was on Spironolactone for 4 months and I lost weight due to massive dehydration and my blood flow to my kidneys decreased.