Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Embarassed

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Sunshine85, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Sunshine85

Sunshine85 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am just so embarrassed by my thinning hair. I mean for people that did not know me before i don't mind so much, but when I see someone who I haven't seen in 10 years..I know they notice. My fiancé tries to tell me I am just paraniod, but he didn't even know me until after the thinning occurred.

I just wish i didn't get so self conscious. It gives me anxiety!

2. neencali

neencali Guest

oh how I know the feeling. I sometimes think "okay, I look fine", then I see a pic of me from before the hair loss and I could cry. It gives me anxiety too. I bet no one notices as much as you do.

3. Lost

Lost Guest

ME TOO!!! I know people must be starting to think whats with her hair?? I've caught friends looking when they think I'm not...this is all slowly killing me I keep praying it will stop but inside I know this is my life now. D.

4. Janie-Ann

Janie-Ann Guest

I'm extremely embarrassed about it too. It's weird. I don't think I'd be embarrassed if I lost a body part -- I'd be truly unhappy about it (understatement) but I can't imagine I'd be embarrassed. It would be more like: this happened, it sucks. But there's just something different about the hair loss... hair is so connected to good health, sexuality, femininity.

The other part is I think so many of us here had GREAT hair before. Not just average hair but really nice hair and that maybe was part of our identity or self image. I know my in-laws with their ugly badly styled and badly colored crap hair would not be sad or sympathetic if they knew I've lost most of my pretty blonde hair.

5. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I now wear a topper but worry about things like needing a MRI and having to take it off, being in the hospital and having someone see me and when/if I go to a nursing home. How do I manage it then and maintain a bit of dignity? I'm older (65) and closer to some of these things than most of you.

6. Janie-Ann

Janie-Ann Guest

Yes, I wear a topper. I shouldn't complain, it looks good and realistic and all that. But it still kind of sucks -- each night when I take it off, it's like losing my hair all over again. I know it could be a lot worse and I'm lucky I have a cosmetic solution for now. Only a few people in my life know I wear a hair piece and still, after all these years (10?) I'd like to keep it that way. That's I think why your original post about being embarrassed resonated with me. I know there are a lot of women on the boards that have dealt with that and moved on but I just can't seem to. I see so many women with thinning hair (I'm obsessively always noticing) just going about life -- and I THINK I could deal with some thinning at my age, but not the actual balding mine progressed to. (not everybody's gets worse and worse, as you probably know. don't mean to scare anybody)
    Hang in there

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I think about that too, what will happen when I'm in a nursing home or similar situation. I wonder about my facial hair too, will I be able to take care of that. For some bizarre reason, the wrinkles and skin changes, teeth, etc., don't frighten me as much as the hair things...
    I go to a nursing home regularly to visit my brother, and believe me, nobody looks too good physically. I see a lot of really bad wigs on some of the ladies.
    I can't imagine I'll become less vain when I'm old old but maybe at some point it just won't matter? (I hope)

7. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Janie-Ann, one thing I worry about is my children and family seeing my bio hair under some of these circumstances. One knows I wear a topper but the other one doesn't. Also their spouses and my grandchildren. I also visit a family member in a nursing home - sadly it seems like my bio hair looks worse than most of the residents there. There might be a few wigs but most seem to "wear" their own hair.

8. Sunshine85

Sunshine85 Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair is curly andit is too hard to find a realistic topper. Right now I have a normal amount of hair, maybe a little scalps in certain spots....I just don't think I am ready.

My hair was so thick before it just embasses me to think if what it is now. It looks so stringy even when it is just a tad part my shoulders. It used to grow to my waist and look great. I know people notice and it is depressing.....