Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Entering TE Recovery-Photos

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by Wolf924, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Ccc

Ccc Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Jenvoy. I'm shedding approx 50-70 non wash days and about 200-220 wash days.

I know exactly how you feel. This has actually lessened for me as I would just touch it and 100 would fall into my hands before. It was terrifying and much more coming out in the shower, I'd estimate now in hindsight about 300-400 at worst.

I'm left with extremely thin hair now. I'm not sure others would say it's extremely thin but it is for me. I hope it's tapering off but as you know it's a long old road to recovery. I can't wear my hair down anymore as it's to obvious so I tie it loosely in a clip (the clips have got smaller and smaller). I have a wig for if it gets much worse (saftey net) or if I ever want to go out in the evening dressed up (hardly ever now) as I feel it doesn't look nice just thrown up in a clip.

I've had many days where I've cried a lot. It helps to speak to others going through it and to hear stories that give hope like wolf's and disTressing's. Fingers crossed for us all on here. It's a horrible thing to go through & causes a lot of worry/anxiety/stress but I'm scared to touch any other medication too now.

2. JenVoy

JenVoy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I feel you girlfriend! I do not wear my hair down anymore! I wore it in a bun previously (before I hacked 4 inches off today). I also have to use toppix to cover any parts of my scalp that I feel makes my scalp more visible. My husband and our babysitter know of my hair loss and told me it wasn't as bad as I think it is, but they have NO clue what it's like to loose clumps of hair when washing your hair, and have severe hair shed throughout the day. It's stressful, and depressing. When I'm down, it helps to pop on here and read up on the women that are currently in recovery. But then I'll happen upon those that have been struggling with hair loss for years now. Scares the hell out of me, I'll admit!

I had a personalized hair topper being made, and it should be ready next week. I'm counting down the days until I am able to get my hands on it! Like you, I purchased a wig for backup purposes and when it arrived it was awful! I didn't pay very much for it though. Where did you purchase yours?

3. Ccc

Ccc Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wolf thank you for your positivity made me smile and gave me hope. I wished I never took the BC but hey we didn't know this was going to happen! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Jenvoy I didn't go for a topper as I'd have to dye/cut/style mine and it's too fragile at mo . I'm in the UK and my wig was just from a local shop. I tried on a lot. Best advice is a monofilament top, lace front, highlights not one solid colour, and try on ones you didn't think you'd like as you might be surprised.

4. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:

5. JenVoy

Dislikes Received:
    The positive part of wearing a wig is just putting it on and not worrying about having a bad hair day! ;)

6. montanaskigirl

Dislikes Received:
    One of my sides is starting to fill in and its really the only place I notice a huge difference. I think that is definitely a TE thing.

7. JenVoy

Dislikes Received:
    montana, how long is it taking to fill in? My temples and my right side have been hit pretty hard. :( My crown is bad too, although I do see sparse regrowth there.

8. DisTressing

DisTressing Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    JenVoy I am glad to hear you are going in the direction of working out and eating healthier. All these meds that are supposed to help us often do a lot more harm than good in the long run. Exercising is a much better way to deal with stress. And all the anxiety and stress you experienced during this time of probably aggravated the hair loss situation. It always annoys me when doctors tell you to avoid stress. A lot of times, stressful situations find you and you don't need to go looking for them. Avoiding stress completely would really mean avoiding life. The real key is to try to find the best way of managing it that won't end up getting you into a worse situation.

9. JenVoy

Dislikes Received:
    Completely agree with you! I wished I had initially saw a holistic doctor prior to seeing a western medical doctor...who is much older very narrow minded and stuck in the 60's! He probably hands out scripts instead of getting to know each patient, and testing for deficiencies.

It pissed me off beyond belief that this doctor AND the dermatologist told me my hair loss was induced by stress. I had a clear trigger, and I've been under stress my entire life and I've never had severe hair loss! I am still not convinced stress is a trigger. I'm sure it doesn't help when you're going through a severe bout of TE. I truly believe everyone has a trigger and it interests me that ferritin seems to be very prevalent in most of the TE's I read about.

10. Wolf924

Dislikes Received:
    Jenvoy you def had a few triggers going on.

The thing is though--stress can cause hair loss. It has been widely studied in humans and animal models. In humans its very simple: stress hormones can increase DHEAS, which is a precursor to elevated male hormones, such as Free T--which can convert in DHT, if only temporarily. I know you've mentioned you are not convinced, but stress is one of the biggest triggers in TE (death of a spouse, job loss, etc), its been scientifically studied; I would not discount it.

If you have a lot of other triggers, meds, bc, on top of stress, it is impossible to isolate the one trigger if the TE is in the past and recovering.

Anyway, this I started I thread is supposed to be about TE recovery and progress in order to help others feel supported, so let's keep it positive! I hope that others in recovery with TE will post progress reports, questions about recovery, and PHOTOS! It is so SO inspiring to see photos.

11. JenVoy

Dislikes Received:
    I am not discounting stress as an underlying cause for TE. I read an article about Tiger Woods ex wife who had hair loss a month or two after she learned of her husbands affair. She stated it was because of the stress...but she also admitted to loosing a lot of weight during that time. As my doctor told me when I asked about whether the ferritin was the cause that I was still shedding, she told me to not look at one thing as the reason why it's continuing but to view the overall picture of my health. As I'm low in ferritin, vitamin D, and had low adrenals. I am still not convinced that Vitamin D or adrenals had anything to do with my hair loss.

I just know for a fact that stress was not the trigger to MY hair loss. BC was also not a trigger, as I've taken and stopped BC numerous times in 10-15 years. I had an extremely low ferritin, and had severe hair loss exactly a month after taking trazodone..which is known to cause hair loss. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10798824

12. nitu1

nitu1 Member

Dislikes Received:
    hi there,
    your hair looks great. just wanted to know if you found the viviscal to help or make any difference?
    thanks

13. Wolf924

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Nitu-

Thanks for the great comment :) I am feeling good about the progress.

I am not sure on the Viviscal--I stopped taking it after about 6 months. I don't think it did any harm, and it made my nails hard as rock. I think its worth a shot. I am just not sure if I can attribute my success to it--I think not. I truly think that real TE will recover on its own regardless.

14. Ccc

Ccc Member

Dislikes Received:

15. JenVoy

Dislikes Received:

16. Ccc

Ccc Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Jenvoy :), I don't want to speak too soon but I think I may be shedding less! I think it started to happen about the 6 month mark but I didn't realise at the time as it was up and down. It's still up and down but very very slowly reducing. It will be 8 months since this started this month. I'm now keeping a diary of how much comes out and totaling it up each week (wearing hair up all the time) so I can see some weeks it goes up but gradually it's coming down. If I weren't in this situation I'd say that sounds obsessive but it's the only way of tracking shedding without thinking your mind is playing tricks on you. I really hope I see some regrowth soon and it thickens up but I think it will take months/years if it does grow back. There is some regrowth but not enough to replace what I've lost. How are you getting on?

17. JenVoy

Dislikes Received:
    That's great! It does Sound similar to me. My shed seems to have reduced a few weeks ago at 5 month mark, but I'm still shedding a lot. I counted about 30 lost during my hair wash yesterday. Whereas it was probably 120+ when I washed my hair. I still pull out about 30-50 throughout the day. I totally understand you having to document the shedding. I would count my hair daily for months and it would just devastate me. I'm Only looking at hair growth, which I see...but not near enough to catch up to what I've lost. I'm guessing if I'm still overly shedding more than normal, I still have more hair in Telogen which means I won't see much density until the shedding comes to an end. I'm just assuming this will stop or taper off more in another couple of months(if it does at all).

18. Wolf924

Dislikes Received:
    Jenvoy and CCC:

Hang in there. The fluctuations are what I experienced at the end of the TE. Before you know it, your shed will drop lower and lower and lower, and finally the regrowth will catch up.

19. Ccc

Ccc Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Wolf. Hope you have been able to relax a bit more over the holiday season now you are in recovery. That's great news, fingers crossed we will see progress like yours soon :). I've taken your advice and not done anything drastic - I'm just waiting it out, that's my gut feeling too. You've put a smile on my face. I really hope it grows back! Thank you.

20. DisTressing

DisTressing Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wolf, can you recall at what point the super soft texture appeared? I stopped shedding in early October, and thought I was getting some nice thicker padding about a month ago, but in the last two weeks, I noticed the top is feeling very fine and the feeling of padding has disappeared. I can't understand how I could lose new density that fast, as I'm as I am not shedding a ton. I am wondering if that's from short regrowth that felt thicker as it first came out, but flattened out as it gained a little length? Overall my hair is much softer than it ever was, but not in a great way because it takes nothing to flatten it out, as if it's thinning out again. But I haven't increased shedding. There are those bothersome short hairs that sprinkle out, some days more, some days less. The right side and vertex, especially the right half of the back vertex, were hit the worst as yours was. The part near the temple definitely looks wider there, although I expect it would be since that is where the loss was the worst. I haven't noticed any mid part thinning but lately, perhaps due to being driven insane by all of this, I am feeling like it is getting a little wider. That could be due to clusters of gray hair giving the impression of a widened part. The graying is not due to the loss but to old age :)