Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Entering TE Recovery-Photos

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by Wolf924, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    My very soft texture, lifeless and flat, appeared about in March 2014. I started shedding in October 2014. It continued right through my shed (which really ended in mid September 2015, and began to go away in Mid October 2015 as my hair started regrowing nicely. My hair only just started getting more padding in November. I think I have regained about 50% of what I lost so far and I still see regrowth. I think hair growth comes in waves, like grass.

2. DisTressing

DisTressing Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    thank you! I think you are describing what I suspected, that the regrowth is coming in waves. I started shedding in November 2014 on and off through October 2015, only this is the first time I've seen the soft texture. I felt like I had some padding all around the crown a few weeks ago and then it seemed to feel very fine again. I think there's been an uptick in shedding and those short hairs ranging from short fiber looking things to 1" terminal hairs to up to 4" (less often) of hair that looks terminal are always scattered in. I am thinking that is because when your shed goes up, your scalp just sheds short and long and can't discriminate between old and new hair. Not sure. I do see my temples are at last filling in but the right side is still so thin. It's wonderful that you have seen 50% return since October? I am thinking in my case maybe 10% has returned if that. After I shampoo it looks quite full, as if 50% was back, but it falls flat within 20 minutes. I think all the new growth is just too fine to make a big difference yet. In my experience this recovery if that's what I am experiencing is not a linear path! You have gains and losses. It could be that my iron levels are triggering this and impact the rergrowth quality so I am working on that. Glad you have stuck around and continue to share your experiences.

3. Wolf924

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I think 50% since mid-September. Mind you-I have thousands of 2" and 3" hairs so I am judging by whats in my follicles and how much better my parts look. This short hair still has to grow to make any difference in density, but I am happy. My head looks like a chia pet. LOL. Does that make sense?

4. DisTressing

Dislikes Received:
    You mean you shed a lot of 2 and 3" hairs after you started to recover, or you have 2 and 3 inch hairs on your head? Too many of mine are in the sink. The others I really can't see but there is obvious regrowth overall and I do see my worst temple filling out. It just seems like various parts of my head are in a different stage of recovery. I am wondering why I don't look like a chia pet! Everyone is different, I know. I look quite a bit different than I did in early November. I do see new growth at the crown and temples though it's all very fine. The back vertex is sort of raised up so it looks like my head comes to a point..did you see anything similar? It seemed to have more density a few weeks ago but now it looks different. Today it actually looks decent. I never had widening of the part but now I keep thinking it looks a bit wider. It could be the excess grays from not coloring in many months, or the light shining on it..it doesn't look that wide up close or under a natural light. Did you drive yourself nuts too? Just leaning over the sink fifteen minutes ago at least a half a dozen short hairs suddenly appeared. What the? I hope they are simply making way for nice new hairs that plan on sticking around for a while. Presently I am dealing with a mixed bag of what appears to be progress and setbacks occurring at the same time.

5. Wolf924

Dislikes Received:
    No I mean I am actviely growing hairs that are all short, and I can see them everywhere--people have commented on how ridiculous I look --like a halo of tiny hairs!!! I am not shedding short hairs at all. I am not sure what you mean by the back vertex--I can't see that far back.

Did I drive myself nuts??? LOL--YES.

6. JenVoy

JenVoy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    DisTressing, Are you still actively shedding a lot of hair? If you are still loosing more than 100+ daily I would say you're still going through TE. I thought a few weeks ago I was recovering. There were 2-3 days in the last month since then that was less than 85+ hairs, even when washing. But I still have anywhere from 90-100 to 100-150+ hairs falling out daily. Not the norm for me! I know I'm still suffering with TE. It's 6 months now. I can safely say 6 months is not the stop of the TE cycle for me. I'm telling myself this will go on for another 6 months (possibly longer). It is what it is.

Anyway, my point is that once the shedding tapers down to a "normal" range (for me I'm guessing 10-40 daily) then I'm still going through TE. I would assume this is the same for everyone else that is going through it. Since I have more hair falling out than usual, the hair being in telogen state. The hair follicles will never recover what is being lost, so density will not return until the shedding subsides.

It's so frustrating, since it sounds a bit similar to me. I have some hair regrowth that I can see, but the spots that are thinner, Ie: crown and temples, and hair near my neck won't show signs of density until this stupid shedding stops! :mad:

- - - Updated - - -

Good Lord, this sounds like my current hair! About the 5 month mark it was REALLY noticeable how much hair I had lost. Now at 6 months it's down right awful how lifeless it looks. Can I take some of your 2-3 inch hair growths? I'd LOVE to have hedgehog hair with no shedding! ;)

7. DisTressing

Dislikes Received:
    Hi JenVoy - I am not shedding anywhere close to what I was at the height of my suffering. I actually never counted, but I do estimate from what I see in the sink every time I comb it when it's dry or after I wash it. There seems to be a little more there than there was when I first stopped the major shedding. Very little comes out in the shower as opposed to the heaps I used to see. That stopped abruptly in early October, about six weeks after returning to iron supplementation gradually (had stopped due to gastritis and getting off iron I'm sure caused another major shedding event from July-September.)

Lately, whenever I look down there is another long hair dropping out somewhere. I think 100 a day might be about right. So I think I am definitely still in CTE mode, especially since I am shedding these short hairs. Just standing over the sink today after I already styled my hair and was putting on some makeup, I looked down at the sink I just cleaned a few minutes before to find six new short hairs. AAGH! My hair seems to feel finer but there is more coverage now with a fuller crown, so in four months I have made noticeable progress growth wise, but not density-wise. An article I read somewhere, think the original source was the American Hair loss organization or something, distinguishes between three types of TE, one of which involves shedding short hair fibers and shorter hairs due to truncated growth cycles, which is caused by a persistent trigger factor - but others just call that chronic TE.

I have been a shedding a small amount of short hair fibers sporadically as long as two years ago or longer, wondering what that was all about, with no other significant shedding or changes to my hair thickness. I think I have had chronic TE on and off for maybe 10 years or more, only never severe like this, with remissions of several years in between, and I read that this can happen. I say that since several times in the past I have noticed what looked like chopped off hairs regrowing on the right side of my head when they were not cut. I was always a shedder and with such thick hair never really noticed less significant losses.

Currently my hair seems to be growing in as unevenly as it came out. The right temple, which was the first to go in December 2014, is only now sprouting a layer of coverage that is starting to look reasonably healthy, and the left, which disappeared last summer, is now showing a bit of new regrowth. I think the shedding might be enough that my scalp needs a break so it can catch up. Losing 100+ hairs a day for someone like me with a formerly massive mane was typical. I think for me the real gauge of whether this is officially over is the end of the short hair shedding. That is where I am hoping my brand new iron supplements for people who can't handle iron can help.

Wolf - I definitely am NOT in chia pet mode yet. Lucky you! I am very much hoping I look like a chia pet soon!!!! LOL

8. JenVoy

Dislikes Received:
    I too had a massively thick, coarse, and wavy hair. I often complained about styling it, and I'd ALWAYS have hair on the ground after I styled that I'd have to sweep up and throw away. I never thought to count it back then. Who would when you have that much hair! I now miss it! I probably shed 100+ now and, like you I feel it creep down my arm and fall on the bed, floor, etc. :/
    I keep telling myself (which I'm sure you probably do too) that next year will be better. It's hard to feel that optimistic when your hair is thinning and it's still falling out more than usual. Ugh!

9. DisTressing

Dislikes Received:
    I can't remember when I had healthy hair either seeing or feeling it fall on my arms or in the sink or on my floor every few minutes. Instead of just coming out after brushing or washing, it drops out 24/7, so even if it's not coming out in clumps, having it drizzle out must mean I am still in this TE mess. I am trying to tell myself that after 14 months of this, it will clear up this year. My hair looks very different every few weeks. I fluctuate between seeing signs of progress, signs of regressing, and iffy signs that I don't know how to interpret. Do I see new growth? Does that part look wider? What are those bent hairs? I always hated the waviness and would struggle to flatten it with a blowdryer and I so miss those days now that it lies there so flat and limp. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, though I am glad that we have each other for support!

10. JenVoy

Dislikes Received:
    Yup! That's exactly what is happening with me! I can't leave my hair down at all! I have the same trickle effect. One strand, or two. I'll gently put my hands through it and I'll have at least 5-8 fall out in my hands. I also have a small hairball when I wash my hair now. It used to be horrendous, but it's still coming out more than it should...so I get what you're saying. I know I've had many people tell me(including my husband) it isn't good to dwell on what's happening. It's hard when you're suffering through it. I don't think I'll stop searching for answers or being upset until I see a normal amount of shed and my crown filling in. On the upside...my scalp doesn't hurt like h*ll like it did 6 months ago! Perhaps this is a good sign of this TE slowly resolving? Are you experiencing any scalp pain or tenderness Distressing?

11. DisTressing

Dislikes Received:
    I'm glad that scalp pain you were experiencing went away. I have read about others who were suffering with this too. I think once or twice throughout the last 14 months I had the feeling of actual pain in my hair follicles! Such a strange thing when your hair hurts. I have never really noticed if that was connected to shedding or not. More often, I have had bouts of itchiness for absolutely no reason at all, either the entire head or specific tiny spots. Sometimes that does occur before a more noticeable shed. I was sort of doing okay not dwelling on things for the last month until this latest incident that seemed to wipe out two months of noticeable progress.But for now I am trying to turn my attentions to my upcoming round of tests and identifying the culprit behind this and treating it if it's treatable.

12. Kelly7

Kelly7 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I totally agree! People don't understand how hard it is to go through hairloss if they aren't going through it themselves!
    I won't stop stressing about my shedding until it slows down to a normal amount. I hope that time will come this year. :)

13. Ccc

Ccc Member

Dislikes Received:
    I agree too and feel the exact same Jenvoy & Kelly. Lovely to hear you feel the same and I'm not alone (not lovely you're going through this journey though!).

14. Wolf924

Dislikes Received:
    Update:

Doing great with the hair. I am hardly shedding, (maybe 25-30 hairs a day max) I see loads of regrowth and don't really think about my hair anymore. It has become a non-issue. All I am taking now is iron 45mg slow release and a pre-natal vitamin and Klonopin and Trazodone as needed for anxiety and sleep. This has been my regime for about 5 months and it is working for me--something is working. I have been off the birth control for over a year, and I have lost 55 pounds and look amazing! I am excited to get my hair cut and colored tomorrow, I have not done that since October when I got some purple in there :)

I did suffer a personal crisis last week, when I lost my 15 year old dog. Not the dog in my avatar, but my other little man. We are very devastated. Just trying to hang in there right now.

15. DisTressing

Dislikes Received:
    I am very sorry to hear about your loss, Wolf! Hugs to both you and your surviving pup who is likely feeling sad too. Looks like everything else is really turning around for you which is wonderful news. I hope that getting your hair cut and colored tomorrow picks you up a bit. I took the plunge and colored my hair myself yesterday, the first time I have done that since September. The white and gray and dark and brassy mix became too unsightly to bear. I am happy to say I did not lose tons of thick strands as I did the last time and that it has plumped up my hair to make it look much fuller. A fresh dose of color makes all those clashing lengths and thicknesses blend better and gives the illusion of a normal head of hair. I can see areas of regrowth that weren't obvious before. It did cause a lot of static and flyaway activity, probably with all the fine, short regrowth underneath everything. You might notice that too...but it looks so much better that the benefits outweigh that issue. Good luck tomorrow!

16. Katy1996

Katy1996 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    OMG! That's amazing! I can only dream to have at least half as much hair.

17. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    Happy to hear you are on the way to recovery :) Did you stop BC to see if it helped with the shedding? I was planning on stopping it but the doctor told me to remain on the pill as it was 'one of the best' i.e. Yasmin (anti-androgenic). What was the cause of your hair loss, and did your scalp hurt alongside the shedding as well? I'm hopeful that your case resembles mine.. which would mean recovery soon :s

I am also so sorry for your loss, I know exactly what it's like. Losing a family member that has always been there for you, it's a really sad time to go through and I hope you are doing alright.

18. Ccc

Ccc Member

Dislikes Received:
    How are you doing Wolf? Well I hope!

19. losing_it

losing_it Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    viinca, I was on Yasmin for a while and my hair loss completely stopped... like to less than baseline hair shedding! Unfortunately it had negative side effects for me (weight gain and vaginal dryness). I have been off birth control for over two years now. If Yasmin did not have negative side effects for me, I'd be back on it in a heart beat!

20. Wolf924

Dislikes Received:
    I did stop the BC because I personally think its terrible for hair and that eventually we will all need to stop anyway, but that is my personal opinion. Plus I was on a bad one for hair--Nuvaring.

I am not shedding anymore, haven't been since middle of September. I see lots of coverage but am still waiting on a good density improvement. I assume that won't happen for another year or so. Nes--thank you for your thoughts on my pup--its been such a loss for us.