Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

EQUOL (EATING SOY) COULD STOP Androgenetic Alopecia

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Ainhoa, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Ainhoa

Ainhoa Guest

HELLO TO EVERYBODY,
    I'M 27 AND SUFFER FROM Androgenetic Alopecia, AT THE MOMENT I'M TAKING
    -MINOXIDIL 5%
    - YASMINE (THE PILL)
    - BIOMINERAL 5-ALFA (GREEN TEA EXTRACT, OMEGA 6 FATS, ZINC,BIOTIN...)
    THREE MONTHS AGO I STARTED INCLUDING SOY IN MY DIET 'COS I READ THAT ITS INGESTION LEADS TO THE PRODUCTION (IN THE INTESTINE) OF A MOLECULE NAMED EQUOL, WHICH INHIBITS DHT WITHOUT THE DRAWBACKS OF PRODUTS LIKE PROPECIA OR AZELAIC ACID.

PAY ATTENTION, THERE ARE A LOT OF WEB SITES ABOUT EQUOL, HAVE A LOOK AT THEM!!
    THE ONLY ONE THING IS THAT SOME PEOPLE CAN'T PRODUCE EQUOL, WHICH IS DETECTABLE IN HURINE...BUT FOR THOSE WHO CAN IT WOULD BE VERY USEFUL!
    I HOPE TO RECEIVE ANSWERS FROM YOU!![/b]

2. Zannie

Zannie Guest

Hi, Ainhoa,

Prior to our hacker wipeout, we had this discussed soy isoflavones in quite some depth:

The proposal that you made can be beneficial under specific circumstances, 1) In individuals who’s endogenous estrogens are not severely down regulated by phytoestrogens, 2) Efficient bioavailability of the soy product consumed, and 3) Favorable biochemical conversion of various soy isoflavones/phytoestrogens in the body, which can vary highly from woman to woman with various vectors such as genes, gut flora and age, favoring the correct metabolite, (there are up to three, NOT merely equol).

Once bound to the known estrogen receptors, phytoestrogens may have different activating or down-regulating effects on the 'ER-ERE' (Estrogen Receptor - Estrogen Response Element) complex. This complex ultimately tells the cell which genes to switch on and off, leading to significantly different physiological states.

Phytoestrogens and bind less tightly to steroid hormone serum transport proteins.

Many phytoestrogens are converted by human colon bacteria into other compounds (including enterodiol, enterolactone, and equol). Some of these metabolites are more potent than their precursors, while others are less so. Different individuals, depending on factors such as their particular gut flora and/or genetic makeup, produce different concentrations and proportions of these metabolites. There is also evidence that the levels of a person’s endogenous estrogens modulate phytoestrogen activity and metabolite formation.

Soy isoflavones, in some women, down regulate endogenous estrogen and may accelerate your hair loss! Lastly, there exist no double blind placebo research, no peer reviewed journals, or FDA recognition substantiating use of soy metabolites for hair growth. It is a very good source of protein for women whose endogenous estrogen is not adversely affected by it – in this case, it couldn’t hurt!

By the way, I like soy, it works for me… but there are women here whose Androgenetic Alopecia has been unfavorably effected by down regulation of hormones due to soy isoflavones AND lignans in flax phytoestrogen. Also, let us also keep in mind that Propecia, Azelaic Acid, Spironolactone, Rogaine, Tricomin, and the rest are APPROVED treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia. They should not be relinquished for natural and homeopathic preparations in women with Androgenetic Alopecia! Nothing wrong with using both!

3. Zannie

Zannie Guest

Also, Many of us have ingested soy isoflavones and soy metabolites for years!

We’re still here! :roll:

4. Ainhoa

Ainhoa Guest

HI ZANNIE,
    I JAUST WANTED TO TELL YOU THAT I DIDN'T WANT TO IRRITATE YOU.
    NOW LET ME ASK YOU A QUESTION: ARE YOU A DOCTOR OR STUDYING MEDICINE? YO SEEM TO KNOW A LOT ABOUT EVERY PRODUCT MENTIONED IN THE FORUM AND YOUR NAME APPEARS NEARLY IN EVERY TOPIC SECTION. MAYBE YOU CAN ANSWER THIS QUESTION: FROM 2002 TIL 2004 I HAD TO TAKE THE PILL OF THE DAY AFTER FOR THRE TIMES, ONCE A YEAR, AND I'M AFRAID THIS CUOLD HAVE CAUSED MY ALOPECIA. WHEN I TELL THE DOCSTHEY STAY SILENT AS IF THEY KNEW THAT I AM RIGHT BUT DO'T WANT TO ADMIT IT IN ORDER NOT TO DAMAGE THE COMPANY THAT PRODUCES THE PILL. I WOULD APPRECIATE VERY MUCH IF YOU GAVE ME YOUR OPINION ABOUT IT.
    I HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON
    AINHOA

5. Zannie

Zannie Guest

I’m very sorry Ainhoa if I came off as irritated, I certainly didn’t mean to! I feel I’ve been snapping at everyone lately but am quite unaware! :roll:

I used to be quite the soy advocate; I was merely set in my place by women who have ingested soy with the same hopes as you and I. Some of these women began having problems when they started ingesting soy products. I really wasn’t trying to sound irritated, just issue warning. :) Soy, and its metabolites, works wonderfully for me!!!! But I learned to be cautious in advocating it, and forgot that it acted differently in different women!

And ABSOLUTELY!!!! There are many women here who feel that synthetic hormones have contributed to their alopecia, I am one of them! Unfortunately, we have no answers there. The best some of us are doing is attempting to readjust our hormones by various synthetic estradiol, oestriol, bcp’s, or natural HRT! In this aspect, it IS just trail and error, unfortunately, what works for someone else, may not work for me because of the variance in our gene’s, age, and hormones!

Have you taken your hormone panel!?!? More often than not, a good indication of bcp’s down regulating your estrogen. What you find is extremely low estrogen, and laughably low progesterone. My complete panel was posted prior to hacker wipeout, but Monika’s is a VERY GOOD example, and is still searchable! Gee, Monika, I hope you don’t mind! :D Read her posts, they should give you more information regarding bcp’s down regulation of estrogen and saliva based hormone panels!

Take Care! :wink:
    Hope to hear from you more!

6. Ainhoa

Ainhoa Guest

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ANSWERING ME AND FOR YOUR ADVICE.
    I HAD AN ANALYSIS OF MY HORMONES, HERE ARE THE RESULTS:

RESULT REFERENCE VALUES (MU/ML)

FSH 4 F.FOLICULAR: (2-10)
    F.LUTEAL: (2-9)
    MENOPAUSIA: (20-100)

LH 4 F.FOLICULAR: (2-14)
    F.LUTEAL: (2-16)
    MENOPAUSIA: (15-70)

PROLACTINA 12 NG/ML (2-20)
    ESTRADIOL 62 PG/ML
    F.FOLICULAR: (20-220)
    F.LUTEAL: (30-160)
    MENOPAUSIA : (10-25)

PROGESTERONA 0.9 NG/ML
    F.FOLICULAR :(0.3-1.9)
    F.LUTEAL : (3.2-26)
    MENOPAUSIA : (0.1-1.6)

TESTOSTERONA 0.7 NG/ML: (0.1-0.8)

ANDROSTENDIONA 2.5 NG/ML : (0.3-0.8)

DHEA-S * 85.6 MICROGRAMS/DL: (120-360)

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THEM?
    I WAS TOLD THAT ALL THE VALUES ARE NORMAL EXCEPT FOR THE DHEA-S, WHICH IS JUST A LITTLE BIT HIGHER THAN HOW IT SHOULD BE....
    I'M VERY CONFUSED BECAUSE ALTHOUGH THE ANALYSIS SEEM TO BE OK I HAD VERY BIG DELAYS WITH MY PERIOD (10 UP TO 15 DAYS!), MY GINECOLOGIST SAID EVERYTHING WAS ALL RIGHT AND COULD NOT EXPLAIN THE REASON OF THIS DISORDER.IN FEBRUARY 2005 I STARTED TO TAKE THE PILL (YASMINE), INTENTINED TO STOP IT AFTER 6 MONTHS AND THAN SEE IF THE PERIOD COMES PUNCTALLY OR NOT.
    I HOPE THAT THE RESULTS OF MY ANALYSYS CAN HELP THE READERS!

ANOTHER POINT: IS PROPECIA PRESCRIBED TO WOMEN IN THE UNITED STATES? I LIVE IN EUROPE (SPAIN) AND HERE IT'S FORBIDDEN TO THEM 'COS IT MAY DAMAGE THE MALE FETUS. WHAT DO UOU KNOW ABOUT IT?
    THANK YOU AGAIN FOR EVERYTHING,
    HASTA PRONTO (=BIS BALD)
    AHINOA

7. Zannie

Zannie Guest

Yah…
    I’d agree with the findings that your hormones are typically normal, save your DHEAS which are lower - why did they say higher?- than the range given by your test, unless these are the male values. Try a saliva test for your DHT, you can order this through ZRT labs! The saliva will give your relative subcutaneous fat and scalp levels of DHT… if this comes out high, then you have a new direction to take with your treatment!
    :wink:

8. Ainhoa

Ainhoa Guest

HI,
    YES,IT DID SOUND STRANGE TO ME TOO WHEN THEY SAID THE LEVEL WAS HIGH, SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW TO INTERPRET THIS KIND OF ANALYISIS !
    I WILL ASK MY DOCTOR FOR A SALIVA TEST, HOPING THAT HERE IN SPAIN IT IS CARRIED OUT.
    TODAY IS MY 15TH DAY OF REGAINE BUT I'M A LITTLE BIT WORRIED 'COS IN THE MORNING MY HANDS, MOUTH AND FACE ARE INFLATED LIKE WATER MELONS AND I HAVE TO WAIT AT LEAST 1 HOUR TO SEE THEM NORMAL. I DON'T KNOW IF I SHOULD QUIT IT OR NOT...MY DERMATOLOGIST IS IN ITALY SO HE CAN'T HAVE A LOOK AT ME, I WOULD HAVE TO GO A NEW ONE....AND I DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING IT, BUT I DON'T HAVE MUCH CHANCES...
    THANK YOU AGAIN FOR ANSWERING!
    AINHOA

9. Zannie

Zannie Guest

Your 30th day on Regaine may be your roughest… hold tight… you may see excess shedding, if you do, don’t stop, stick with it! The post 30-day sheds with Minoxidil are normal… but you have to stick through for the regrowth. Follow up with some copper peptides to increase your success in retaining your regrowth and developing it to terminal hairs as opposed to vellus!

10. Ainhoa

Ainhoa Guest

HI ZANNIE,
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE,I'LL TRY TO KEEP USING REGAINE...IT'S GOING TO BE HARD!
    AS FOR THE COPPER PEPTIDES, IN WHICH PRODUCT ARE THEY CONTAINED? I HOPE IT'S SOLD HERE IN EUROPE, 'COS I.E REVIVOGEN OR TRICOMIN CAN BE BOUGHT ONLY BY INTERNET, AND TO BE HONEST I DON'T TRUST COMPLETELY SOMETHING WHICH HAS NOT BEEN APPROVED BY THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH...
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP
    AINHOA

11. Zannie

Zannie Guest

Actually, Tricomin was the product that I was going to suggest! :D

12. Ainhoa

Ainhoa Guest

Wow, how lucky I am for living in Europe then (I'm just being ironic)!
    Anyway, i have found a doctor who teaches Dermathology at one of the best Universities of Madrid (where I live) and he's specialized in Tricology. I'm going to phone him tomorrow for a visit...hope he will help me with my doubts about the CAUSE of my Androgenetic Alopecia...
    please, wish me good luck!
    Ainhoa

13. Ainhoa

Ainhoa Guest

WOW,
    I have found a shampoo which would be veeeeeeery helpful for hair loss 'cos it contains - pumpkin's seeds
    - saw palmetto;
    - olax dissitifolra, ph 5.5
    Its trademark is BIOKAP:it's produced by an Italian company called BIOS LINE, which distributes its products in the whole country through herborist shops, so it's authorized by the Ministry of health. I know all this 'cos my sister is herborist and owns a shop. The shampoo can be bought also in internet, you can look for its name in google and find the webs which sell it. The name of the shampoo (in Italian ) is "BIOKAP SHAMPOO ANTICADUTA". I hope the information has come out to be useful to someone!
    Ainhoa