Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Ever Heard of Caboki?

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by Bri, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Bri

Bri Guest

I have been looking at different fiber powders/spray and came across this product called Caboki. From what I can tell it is the same concept as Toppik but is not a shake or spray, it looks like you rub the bottle on the hair. Watch the demonstration video - I was impressed, it looked very neat and efficient, but then again that was a man with very short hair.

http://www.caboki.com/why-superior

Caboki boasts not only that it is much easier to apply but also:
    - Made from natural fibers from plants, safe even for sensitive scalp.
    - Bonds to hair more securely, does not require spray to glue fibers to your hair.
    - Free of animal ingredients, synthetic dyes, fillers and preservatives.
    - Your hairstyle lasts longer.
    - It better withstands wind, rain, sweat and abuse
    - No spray glue or hair spray is required.

Made from Moroccan Gossypium Herbaceum fiber and natural mineral-based colorants.

"Caboki bonds to your hair 200% more secure than any other fiber based thickening products on the mass market. It better withstands wind, sweat and rain."

They explain the superiority of Caboki here: http://www.caboki.com/why-superior
    In a nutshell, Caboki is supposed to bind better because human hair has a positive charge, and this new Caboki fiber has a negative charge; this is the same concept of how a magnet works, and thus these fibers should stick to the hair better than any other fiber product, which are typically made of wool, which also had a positive charge and thus is not as attracted to positively charged human hair. I have never thought about my hair having a charge or not, but I suppose it has to, and so the relationship of the positive and negative materials does make sense...

But I have read elsewhere that human hair is negatively charged.

Toppik is described on various review sites as the fibers being positively charged, which bind with allegedly negative charged human hair. This is the complete opposite of Caboki.

This says human hair is positive: http://science.howstuffworks.com/transp ... t/vdg1.htm
    This says human hair is negative: http://www.haircompounds.com/researcharticles.php

Here is a link to a triboelectric series, which also puts human hair as positive: http://www.siliconfareast.com/tribo_series.htm

Does anybody know for sure?

I'm reading the reviews, as it seems predominantly geared towards men, but there is one from a woman with thinning hair and she said it was wonderful. They also did mail-out questionnaires to see how both men and women liked it, different ages, with all different degrees of thinning on the Norwood scale. They say in their FAQ that 30% of their customers are women.

Has anyone heard of this, or used it?

2. Beliza

Beliza Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am interested in this one because it says no hairspray needed. If you are in the US, you can order a free sample of Caboki. Anyone wants to do this and review? :mrgreen:

http://www.caboki.com/hair-fiber-free-trial

3. Bri

Bri Guest

Yeah, I emailed and asked if they would ship to Canada, but the shipping itself costs 29.95 apparently! I think they must be trying to make a profit off that, because I have ordered things off eBay from both the US and Hong Kong and never had to pay that much.

I have read a lot of reviews, mostly on other hair loss forums I came across on google, and Caboki was often said to be much better, and more cost effective. I would love it if some of you American Toppik-loving ladies would order the sample and tell the rest of us how this one compares! :jump:

To compare, s/he said to watch this video of a stylist who has used a toppik-type products in the past and is trying the free sample of Caboki for the first time.

I'm watching and I like watching it in real time, this guy admits to not being very experienced at applying the powder, but even with him being a bit clumsy there wasn't much of a mess, and he is doing a good job of showing how and where he put it. He combs his hair a lot in all directions and you don't see it coming off on his hands or shirt either.

It really made quite a difference for him!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ7XOTthiwI

4. mscanadian

mscanadian Guest

positive or negative, it is all relative.

Hi, I am a college physics teacher, i believe i know a bit about this subject.

When two different materials come into contact with each other, one material may lose electrons to another. The material which loses electrons is positively charged, the one which gains electrons is negatively charged.

Some materials like to give out electrons and other materials like to accept electrons. There is a table which lists materials based on the tendencies to lose or gain electrons:

http://www.esdsystems.com/Newsletters/v3issue4.html

The higher up in the table, the higher the tendency for the material to lose electrons to become positively charge. Lets look at hair:

When human hair comes into touch with Asbestos (at the top in the chart), human hair becomes NEGATIVELY charged and Asbestos becomes positively charged. BUT when when the same human hair get into touch with Silk (below human hair in the chart), human hair becomes POSITIVELY charged.

For 2 materials (A and B) to attract each other, A must be generous about giving away electrons to become positively charged, while the B must be electron-hungry, taking in electrons from the A to become negatively charged.

According to the table, Asbestos (at the very top) and Silicone Rubber (at the very bottom) has the biggest attraction to each other (love stick with each other).

5. ellenw

ellenw Guest

Bri/Beliza

I'm in the states, I will get a sample to try it out and share my views with folks here after i get it.

6. Bri

Bri Guest

Thanks for the physics rundown. I took biology in high school, not physics haha.

Apparently if I have it sent via Air Mail I can have the shipping down to 8.99, but it can take up to 3 weeks. I will have to make room on a credit card and try it out.

Let me know how it works for you ladies!

7. AnnaWein

AnnaWein Guest

I just got mine today. I wore it immediately - I was excited! This thing is awesome! I love it!...I didn't like wearing wigs, so I was wearing a scarf the whole time and I hated it. It does say it takes practice to perfect it...since it's my first day, i had some spots that I missed, but OMG I love it! I mean I don't have to wear anything else on my head. I understand how the physics work - it makes sense.

I will post my experience with it in a week or so and tell you if it's worth it.

8. ellenw

ellenw Guest

Thank god for labor day long weekend, finally got time to write up my experience.

I am 37 years old, 2.5 years ago I lost almost all my hair after pregnancy. My hair started to grow back gradually, but i have ONLY about 1/3 of what i used to have. I wear a wig when weather is not so hot (I live in Florida), use toppik or prothik (a spray) in hot summer.

So a few weeks ago i went to caboki.com to get a sample, unfortunately the sample was out of stock. i went ahead order a regular size (thinking if i dont like it, i can return it for refund).

a few days later i got the product in the mail. I immediately tried it on my hair. I LOVE it.

The biggest thing i noticed is that caboki sticks to my hair better and stay put longer than toppik. like i said i live in florida, it is HUMID here. with toppik, the hair volume is pretty much gone at the end of the day, I have to apply some toppik again in the afternoon. caboki has better staying power, my hair volume is still acceptable even after one night sleep.

caboki blends in with my hair so well, look at the picture when i stood next to the window (very bright light), I (and my husband) dont think other can notice anything unusual.

if you live in humid area like i do, you can't go wrong with caboki, it is way better.

Attached Files:

9. tique706

tique706 Guest

Thanks for the before and after pics Ellenw, it does look very natural even in bright sunlight!

10. LadyGodiva

LadyGodiva Guest

Wow, you guys are on top of things!

I was supposed to go to bed earlier. But took a shower, shed, and I'm at the computer again...looking for answers. :thumbsdown:

Saw a Youtube video for Caboki, went to the site...am curious about it. Then came here to share, but found you've beat me to it!

Anyhow, just ordered a free sample (shipping is $6.99 in the U.S.), so will wait and see.

I'll update how it works; hopefully I ordered the right color! :$

11. Bri

Bri Guest

The color can be so nerve wracking! I just got my Toppik today so when I put it on I'll see if I can take pictures (I know for sure my hair is dark brown now!).

LG, please let me know how it works for you. Did you use Toppik before - if so, compare it. ;)

12. LadyGodiva

LadyGodiva Guest

I didn't use Toppik, no. I didn't see how it would stay in my hair and not feather out. I'd read mixed reviews but this one seems to stick to hair fibers, so one hopes it won't be a royal, embarrassing mess. I will try it and post an update for sure.

I ordered dark brown...but now I'm wondering if it should have been black? My hair is somewhere in between, so who knows...

13. Bri

Bri Guest

Well with my new hair color the dark brown has worked well, and mine is quite dark. I put it in about an hour ago and took some pictures and I will post them later this afternoon when I am done classes for the day.

14. Hayley

Hayley Guest

I'm interested in this because i found that toppik would settle more on my scalp than on my hair. Or was that me using it wrong? Does caboki do that? Looking forward to your pics Bri.

15. Bri

Bri Guest

Posted my Toppik results here:
    http://www.heralopecia.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20357

16. MuttLover

MuttLover Guest

CKing and LadyGodiva,

Please post your experience with Caboki after you receive it! I'm so curious as to whether it's really better than Toppik ... I know Ellen posted her pics but I'm always suspicious when someone who's never posted before happens to join that day and post just 1 or 2 messages ... (no offense to Ellen if she ever comes back ...)

17. ellenw

ellenw Guest

MuttLover,

I do not trust random post either, so no offense taken. If you've already found something that works for you, stick with it.

I just want to emphasize that everyone's hair is different. If you don't live in humid area, your experience may be very different from mine (i am curious to find out).

18. LadyGodiva

LadyGodiva Guest

I received my Caboki in the mail, sample size - dark brown.

FYI, I've never tried any hair masking thing (like Toppik, etc.) before, so this is all new to me.

The sample size is a fairly good size. The color looks black in the bottle but on my head, it seemed to be a good match (dark brown).

Unlike the videos on it posted on Youtube, my bottle didn't have any sort of applicator on the top to rub the stuff into my hair. Instead, it's a hard, plastic top (like the travel size Johnson's Baby Talc Powder) with holes for dispensing of the fibers.

I couldn't tell if anything was coming out when I shook the bottle on my hair but I guess it did, because part of my upper forehead became splattered with dark spots. The stuff wipes easily off the skin, but just the same, it wipes easily whenever touching one's hair, too.

It seemed to give a decent coverage; however, if you even remotely touch your hair/area with the fibers, it comes off on your hands like dark powder/charcoal. I tried this on my hair before my shower, though my hair was clean; however, I would suggest adding this to your hair not right after your hair has dried from washing (as the directions recommend), but a few hours after so your natural scalp oils can give the powder something to hang on to.

I'm not sure how to keep this powder on, because it does come off easily by touch. And if you look closely at the scalp, you can see the powdered stuff on your head/in your part; I guess it depends on how closely others look at your head. But in broad daylight, I'd imagine the powder would be fairly visible...and I can guarantee that in rain, it will wash out/run out of your head (it came off easily enough when I ran plain water through my hair under the shower, before shampooing).

Overall, not sure how to rate this but it seems no better than the other products out there, except for the fact that it claims it's "all natural".

Probably something to use if one's going out at night, where the lights are dim and others won't notice the effects of powder on the head.

I'd post pictures, but they didn't come out very clearly, so there's no point in it.

I'd suggest ordering a sample size, to see if this is the right thing for you.

19. Jenn32

Jenn32 Guest

Wow, LadyGodiva, thanks for that very helpful info & assessment. I'm very sorry that it doesn't seem to be such a great product. How disappointing! I am totally new to concealers, had been thinking about getting a sample of this (not now) and am wondering if Xfusion and Toppik have the same disadvantages -- look like powder on your head, come off onto your hand when you touch your head, or run onto your face/clothes if you sweat or get caught by some rain? Can any of Xfusion/Toppik using ladies give some feedback on this? Thanks!

20. Bri

Bri Guest

I found that hair spray made a big difference in regards to how well the fibers stayed, at least with Toppik. I imagine you would have a better time of using the Caboki with some hair spray as well.

It really did seem too good to be true. :(