Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Everything You'd want to know about Wigs, Toppers, Salons...

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by sessa555, Sep 7, 2005.

1. CatWoman

CatWoman Guest

Excellent information! Thank you, Sessa :D

2. Rachel1971

Rachel1971 Guest

Questions about human hair wig

Sessa, I am curious about the human hair vacum-sealed wigs. Where is a good place to get one, how much are they, how long do they last?

Thanks, Rachel

3. Agnes

Agnes Guest

Hi Sessa,

Can you recommend a manufacturer or brand of full lace wigs please ? I only know regular monofilament wigs ( mono top, wefted back and sides ). Are full lace wigs made of the same material as monofilament ? Are the full lace a lot cooler than mono top wigs ?

Thanks so much !

4. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sessa- I am just now finding your post about "hair systems" and just wish I had seen it back in the fall when I was trying to learn what is out there and what it is. I am still in the learning mode and suck up everything like a sponge for future reference. Thank you for all the time you put into that.

Deede

5. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

Peggy Knight has the best ones, and people love seem to really love them. Her website is http://www.peggyknight.com/vacuumwigs.html

The problem with the vacuum sealed wigs is that they are HOT. The good think is that they stay on really well, though I think that any wig or topper will stay on pretty darn well as long as you attach it correctly. I would go for bonded before I would do vacuum seal, but that is because I do not tolerate a hot head very well! I believe you shave your entire head for the vacuum sealed ones to work properly, and it sounds like they are primarily for people with zero natural hair left. I would guess that any hair growing underneath would break the seal.

A full lace wig is supposed to be cooler and lighter weight than the monofil ones. They also tend to look more natural. The downside is that they are much more fragile and do not last as long, so you have to replace them every couple of months. I have seen full lace wigs that are glued down tight in front and truly look like hair is growing from the scalp. I considered getting a lace front on my bonded topper, but I am hard on my hair and did not want to deal with gluing it down daily so I decided against it. From the top, I do not think that there is a HUGE difference between the lace and monofil. My topper is a monofil, and it looks totally natural at the part.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

6. willow

willow Guest

Sessa,
    Where can I find pics of your bonded system?
    Presently wearing a topper w/ clips and would
    love to NEVER take it off.

7. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

I will post pics as soon as school is out, I promise!

8. megs82

megs82 Guest

Re: Questions about human hair wig

I don't know anything about them, but I am looking into peggyknight.com which has them.

Anyone have experience with the vacuum-seal wigs?
    Anyone have a preference of synthetic vs human hair?

I have over 50% hairloss so I don't think any of the options really apply to me except the wigs.

Thank you so much for this posting- great info.

9. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

I have easily 50% hairloss and I have a bonded topper.

10. willow

willow Guest

Sessa,

Do you exercise in your bonded system? If so, does it impact the integrity?

11. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

I do work out in it, and it doesn't seem to impact the integrity of the glue...I do notice that if I do not wash all of my hair every three or four days that the glue starts to break down from an oily scalp. I go swimming occasionally and haven't had a problem with chlorine reacting badly, but I do not swim on a daily basis so I couldn't tell you how it would hold up long-term with the chemicals.

12. kk10

kk10 Guest

I have a bonded system too, and agree with your remarks (though I lucked out and didn't have any bad experiences with other salons.) My hairdresser is terrific (we are in the middle of Oregon, but she has clients come from hundreds of miles away). Her website is miragehairsystems.com. (Hope it's okay to give her a plug (ouch) here.

I'm on my third system. The first lasted a year and then I wrecked it when trying to die my own hair underneath (my system covers the crown). The second system was an emergency choice to replace that one, but I thought it looked pretty good. Now I have a new one and love this color (and it's close enough to my natural color that I'm not going to mess with dye.)

I have it removed and reattached every 6-7 weeks, when it starts to shift around. This takes about an hour and a half, including the cut on my own hair.

I don't get a chance to check this board much, so I'll answer questions in advance: Yes, I exercise. No, it isn't hot. In the shower, I can feel the water on my scalp. No, it doesn't itch. It looks so real that my son still hasn't noticed it, and I had to tell my husband what I had done, and that was weeks after I first got it. (he thought it was some kind of miracle dye job!)

Hope this helps somebody. I've been reading these boards for a long time and have learned a lot!

13. BLYNN

BLYNN Guest

kk10-where did you get it?

14. newhair07

newhair07 Guest

Sessa, hi

I am a new girl on the block and the first message I read was yours and exactly what I was looking for: all options honestly described!!!!

Please share your knowledge (and everyone who could help- please do so) regarding hair replacement systems from Farrel (best in the world as they say in Internet): Hairdirect "all lace"; Folligraft 3.1/Veralex 2.0 (hair bonded directly to your skin)?

It looks like their must be a solution after all

many thanks for help

15. kk10

kk10 Guest

The salon is called Mirage Hair Systems, in Eugene, OR
    Her website is miragehairsystems.com
    Super nice woman.

16. scraggy

scraggy Guest

thanking Sessa for info.

Sessa....thank you for all the info , i so wish i had found this earlier..i have paid HCM soo much money, i am desperate, but have had a bad experience with color, they did that..and have not seen the topper yet, but have almost decided i will ctancel, and take the 50% $$ loss..oh its sooo horrid, i dont know what i should do, have decided i would not have it glued on..they saw how scared i was, and suggested they put clips on the piece...(until i feel mlore comfotable..grrr) ofcourse i know they just have to get that thing on my head, and 100% of the money is theirs...oh dear i feel sick over this...!

Once again thank you for all the info, and good luck to you.

Love...Karin.

17. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

If you're not happy with it, demand that they fix the color. If they do not, speak with the manager of the salon or even contact their headquarters (I believe the info is on their website). I have heard both good and bad things about Hair Club, and it sounds to me like some of their salons are great and some are not. If they can get the color right, go with the clips to start with and while you are test driving the system, look into other bonding options in your area and see if there is somewhere else that would be a better fit for you. DO NOT let them screw you over! If you do not get what you asked for, they need to give you your money back. Did you sign a contract? What did it say about returns/refuses?

18. scraggy

scraggy Guest

thanks Sessa.....i did not know what to do, as i am soooo scared of this whole thing, the hair piece etc..i am scared by nature, and this sends me over the edge, i had decided to cancel and did so on the answering machine, they came back to me, and said the hair piece had arrived, and i cant say no Sessa. i am terrified, and yeeeees i have signed the contract, and sit down for this, paid in full, i know i would kick my backside if i could get at it...anyhow the contract says u get back 50% if u dont wear the piece out the door, soo all they have to do is get me to wear it out the door....aaaanyhow, D day is tomorrow, (sat 4th) and i will go and finally actually see what the hell i pd for...and yes i will get a clip on and see how i do with that, BUT if it looks funny i will leave and just put the $$$ loss down to "live and learn" i see that soo many woman have lost so much money on this, so i dont feel too bad, but Sessa, i feel nobody in my life understands, my daughter does, but other than that, well i now dont talk about it, and try and not go out and not be in public unless i have to..i know this is something i have to try and deal with, but i have to say its causing me to "not live"...well we will see what happens tomorrow...(sigh)..thank you for all the info you have given all of us, its wonderful to be abe to write my fears and feelings on this site....one thing i have that many woman do not, is my scalp burns , worse at times, and when i try rogaine it gets worse, so i will have to stop using it again....anyhow hello to everyone is reading this.

Love..Karin

19. scraggy

scraggy Guest

hi Sessa....i went off to HCM and actually finally saw the piece, it has clips on it, which makews me soo much happier, the color was worng, and really this has been a long 3 months, and as i sit here, i still do not have the piece, we talked about the color etc, and i put it on my head, well its ok, and i have decided to get it, hopefully the color will be worked out in a coupe of weeks, its not been a happy experience, and i woud say to anyone looking into hairpieces, do not use HCM, i signed the contract, and wish i had not, but lets hope the end result will be happy, but new people, rather find some other place...do not be like me, i did not do research, and jumed in way to quickly, because this whole hair thing leaves me paralysed.....

20. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

I'm so sorry that you have had such a bad experience...I had a terrible experience with a salon in NY that I went to thinking I had found all the answers and blew $5,000, so please believe me when I say I know how it goes.

I would say at this point (since it sounds like you are keeping the hair?) that you should make them work their butts off for you until you are happy with the system. If it is not perfect, tell them they need to try again until it is. Don't leave until the color is an exact match. Be polite but firm, and if that doesn't work bring out the big guns. Is your daughter able to go with you? It sometimes helps to have someone else there to help advocate for you.