Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Everything You'd want to know about Wigs, Toppers, Salons...

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by sessa555, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Toplace and Coolpiece are the cheapest , toppers and full lace caps. For those of u that would enjoy the freedom of not having to take ur wig on and off, and wear a system that allows u to sleep shower, and be active without worry of losing it, or the high cost of maintance from the Hair Sums like farrell, HCM, Yaffa. More wolfs than the right education and the lace of information women have on lace systems.

Great info to u that posted. But lace systems are cheap

2. Angela75

Angela75 Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Are any of you guys from Dallas, TX? The only place around here that I know of that does bonded toppers is Randy Clark. randyclark.com A few years ago, i actually went in and ordered one. It came in, and then I chickened out.... Now i'm wishing I had done it back then. His place is so expensive though. It's about 3,000/year and that's just for a basic one. If you want to grow your hair out and have a longer style, or if you want one that comes down lower on your scalp (for more than loss on the top) then it's more... Is this price normal? I think this is for 3-4 systems a year and all of the maintenance. Any help y'all could give would be appreciated :)

3. Terra

Terra Guest

That sounds like a pretty normal cost to me. Seems lke it usually ends up being around $2500-$3500/year, depending on the salon. They all work out their prices a bit differently, but it usually ends up to be the same amount.
    Good luck!

~Terra

4. jakey123

jakey123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi to everyone,

Could I just ask a question to all who have a bonded piece ? I have a piece on order and will need to shave a small area on the crown. My problem is thought to be hormonal and may improve once the hormones are balanced.
    Will the glue used to secure the hair damage the hair follicles and hair from the shaved area?
    Thanks for any insight. :)

5. I can't believe that I have been online for 7 years and never came across this site! When you have significant hair loss you think that you are the only one, or at least one of only a few. What a surprise to learn that you are all out there. How wonderful to have a support network.

I never even heard the term topper before and I have been wearing a hairpiece for over 15 years. For the last 10 years I have worn a human hair piece with 5 little combs that snap into my own hair...1 on each side at the front, 1 at the back, and 1 on each side. I could not tolerate or manage the clips, which the salon prefers to use at the front. I wear an attractive dark headband behind the bangs. My hairpiece does not shift or move and it is comfortable. I wash, condition and set it myself. I paid $1800, but I understand that the price for a replacement is now $2400. I do not use hair spray; I do not tease. Does it look natural? I do think that anyone who sees you frequently and especially on a daily basis will eventually realize that you are wearing a hairpiece, but I have learned to live with it. My health and sense of well-being are far more important!

6. BLYNN

BLYNN Guest

Beautiful hair, I just paid 1800 for a topper which should arrive in 6 weeks. I am very concerned that you say people who see you daily will know. I thought it would be undetectable. What did you mean by that?

7. Perhaps your hairpiece will be undetectable, especially if you are able to change the style occasionally. However, I do think my friends eventually guess. They do not ask; I do not tell; so they can just speculate. No one has actually come out and said something anymore than I would ask about contact lenses or false teeth or cosmetic surgery. The important thing is how you feel about it and yourself and carry on as though nothing is different. Make sure that you keep the piece in good condition, dress attractively, smile easily and cheerfully. Trust me, you can learn to live with your hair loss. I have for over 15 years! I go dancing; I go on cruises; I have had boyfriends. Eventually, of course, a boyfriend will know, but it has been a non-issue. And if it were, so what, then that man is not right for me!

I personally have not tried any of the medications or treatments because I have not read anything definitive that they really work long-term. A transplant is not an option for me because you have to have lots and lots of hair in the back to pull the plugs for transplant, and after all that emotional energy and financial expense, who is to say that that hair will not fall out. Bonding and gluing, etc. do not appeal to me. I enjoy washing my own hair frequently, if not daily, and blow drying it then adding my hair supplement.

Think about it....what is hair loss compared to horrendous accidents or illnesses or deformities or loss of a loved one! Again, once you overcome your initial dismay and anxiety, you can learn to live with your problem/secret.

8. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Beautiful Hair-

Thanks for your positive out look and helpful suggestions. I've been dealing with very rapidly thinning hair for over 2 years and nothing seems to be helping. It is good to hear that you are doing so well with hair supplements or toppers or clip on hair or whatever. I have moments where I get so depressed and overwhelmed by this whole thing that ISN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN but I do try to remember that it isn't something terminal or truly horrible like MS or a stroke. Can you do things like yoga in your hair? I tried wearing one for an afternoon and when I bent over it pulled and hurt. The topper I bought but have yet to wear has two clips on the front and then you use bobby pins in the back. There doesn't seem to be much choice in what you can get here.

Anyway- thanks again for the positive contribution.

Deede

9. Deede

If your salon/hairdresser can put clips on the front, they can put a clip in the middle of the back of the piece and one on each side! This is much more secure than bobby pins. Mine are tiny combs sewn into the edge of the base that snap into my own hair and I unsnap them to take the piece off. They don't pull or hurt in any way. If I can do all kinds of dancing, you can do yoga. However, in order to prolong the beauty and life of my piece I do try to avoid resting my head or allowing undue pressure on my head, but on occasion it happens.

One consideration: if you are married, no problem. If you are dating, men love running their fingers through a girl's hair, but that is not a problem as long as you control it, that is, not letting his fingers approach the base.

10. Lee112780

Lee112780 Guest

Beautiful....LOVE your outlook on the whole hairloss thing!! We share the same thoughts :)

11. yes, some men like running their fingers through a woman's long beautiful hair, .............but i also discovered that then there are some handsome men that like careesing a beautiful bald woman's sensually smooth head of lovely soft feminine skin. ;) :)

12. wnt1tback

wnt1tback Guest

Re:

Hi, I am very new to this forum and I don't know what places are in my area. There was a lot of mention of toppers, and kiki's. I don't have much hair in the front so there is really nothing to attach so i can't get extensions.
    The othe problem i think ihave is that my hair is very unique and i dont know if i'll be able to get a topper to match the rest of my curly hair.

13. curlysue

curlysue Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    hi want1back

Start by reading a the wigs, extensions etc forum. Kiki's is in Brooklyn NY. So is Yaffa. But there are other sources.

I too have curly hair and think it is easier to get straight as supplemental hair, but there is curly hair out there. I am in the stage of comtemplating a topper but not there yet. I will eventually post when I visit the places recommended by others about my experience with finding curly hair.

Good luck!

14. mollymoon

mollymoon Guest

hi curlysue and want1back,

I have long and curly hair too and I know what you mean about trying to find toppers and extensions that will blend well. I have always ordered straight extensions and then taken them to a local salon to have them permed to match the curl in my hair and I have been very happy with it. I myself can't even tell which hairs are the extensions and which ones are mine when I look at my hair.

I hope that was helpful and good luck finding something that works.
    As I have mentioned on another thread, I am having to transition from extensions to toppers now since my hair is too thin to conceal the edges of the extensions.

Thanks to all who have posted so much information about toppers and wigs etc. I can't tell you how helpful it's been and it's helping to get my courage up to get a topper.

Mollymoon :)

15. youngloss

youngloss Guest

Thanks for the info!
    Youngloss

16. I don't think I really understand the difference between a topper and an integration system. Can someone expand a bit more?

Also, what would be a good option for someone who is a little thin through the crown area, but otherwise the hair loss is not very noticeable?

17. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

A topper is a small piece that goes on the top/crown of your head. There are attached with either a bonder (in which case you usually shave part of your scalp so that they can glue it down on clean skin) or with clips (there are several different shapes and sizes for comfort). A topper looks like a wig with that the sides have been cut off of, if that makes any sense. An integration system looks like a hairnet that has hair attached to it. You pull your natural hair through the holes, and the integration systems acts as a fill-in. These are usually attached with clips, and seem to work fairly well for women with little thinning. That being said, I have not heard too many people who just love the integration pieces. I had one for 1 day and hated it, but it was not well made and it was not the best solution for me.

Some salons will attach either a topper or an integration piece with extensions rather than bonder or clips. They put the piece on your head, then use the extensions around the base of the piece to connect it to your bio hair. I haven't tried this method, so I'm not sure how well it would stay on as far as movement goes.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

18. CYNDI2008

CYNDI2008 Guest

hello sessa555 ,

I was wondering about the part on a bonded piece.... does it natural or will others be able to spot it?
    thanks for all the great info! :)

19. Ahh, I think this may have been where I was getting confused. Thanks for the clarification! I think I understand better now.

20. kimm

kimm Guest

HI Herculesemomma -

I'm from SE michigan too.

I can maybe tell you what I know from the places I've seen for far around here.

So far nothing that compares to the toppers and wigs you've seen posted on here (merry, reverie, joanee, april etc) but depending on what you're looking for and if you're careful and aware, there might be something you can work with.

Also, if you happen to run into anyone awesome in your searches, please let us know. I'm surprised how tough of a time I'm having finding what I'm looking for.

If you do a search under my name you can probably see what my experiences were with some local places here. How I felt at the time and now how I feel about it!