Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Everything You'd want to know about Wigs, Toppers, Salons...

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by sessa555, Sep 7, 2005.

1. aneto

aneto New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Is that near Chico Ca? When I was up there in 2004 there was a wonderful lady who I found in their local yellow pages who wore and sold toppers. That was before I started wearing them and although I did not purchase from her I wish I did because she would be a great starting point and why not support a local instead of wasting money with Hair Club like I did. As your post is 2 years old I hope you found what you were looking for.

2. Theraspeaker

Theraspeaker Guest

Sessa or someone......I am new to this forum but I have a question. I had the bonded system with about 1/3 of my head shaved. I liked it but I noticed that no matter what I did, after a couple of weeks, there was a sour smell under the piece. I inquired about this and was told to pour mouthwash on it (while on my head). I washed it and tried to dry it but it was difficult to get it completely dry. I did try the mouthwash but it never seemed to work. I have been wearing synthetic wigs for a couple of years now but they are so hot in the summertime and I am mortified that one day it will slip off in public. Please tell me if there is a solution to this smelly problem:) I know it sounds gross but it was definitely an issue! Thanks:(

3. Cousteau

Cousteau Guest

Don't panic. In my experience, people do not pay much attention to you at all most of the time. You will think it is obvious and be terribly self-conscious and they will say "wow, your hair looks great!" or "have you lost weight or something?" I actually told some of my friends, but they tell me that they forget about it because now I just look normal to them in my topper. For people who don't know, I figure even if they guess that I'm wearing something, isn't that better than worrying about having them stare at the bald spots on your head? Really. Now when I go out, I feel like I look good. For years, I was depressed because it didn't matter what i wore or how I fixed my makeup because my hair was so embarrassing. It made me look much older than my years and people occasionally even said something to me, like "could you get a wig?" Okay, well, I got one (a topper). I got it from Flora and it was expensive and worth every single penny. It's not hot. When the wind blows I feel it on my scalp. That was my biggest fear because I sweat like a pig. But now, my hair doesn't turn into little dripping wet strands that reveal my bald spots. Life is SO much better. Trust me. You will be much happier.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Lily, Can you send it to me too, because I've been getting mine in NY. I know this an old post, but if you get it, I'd appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. I have a silk top and it breathes, since it is a natural fiber. That's why it doesn't get hot and the part looks really natural.

4. Godiva

Godiva Guest

Is there anyone out there that is struggling with hair that is in between? What I mean by that is that my loss is due to low thyroid. My hair thinned and it doesn't really absorb color. It's difficult to manage. Blending a topper would be difficult. I can't really cut it short because it is diffuse thinning. It is kinky and curly and very dull. I am currently wearing a full wig but find them hot. I also have enough hair that I really don't wish to shave my head. Most of my thickness is on the top.

5. AlopecMom

AlopecMom Guest

Thank you, Sessa. This is informative. I did not know how extensions work or that you can get the front of a lace-front topper repaired with new lace.

6. Lindalove

Lindalove Guest

Wow this is very thorough information and extremely helpful. I am actually looking into purchasing a Malaysian wig and I am researching online to see which place is best.

7. Lindsey

Lindsey New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Jakey123, my hormones have been balanced for 5 years and my hair hasn't come back. I have less than half the hair I used to have. I waited on it to grow back, just knowing that it would. Being that I already would wear my hair up, I began wearing it up every day. Then, I had to incorporate spray to cover my scalp and I began rolling a my thin hair around a synthetic hair pony tail holder, so when done, surprisingly it looks like I have hair, worn up. But, after 5 years, I have just ordered the Fortune "Wefted Topper," only mine is a custom order with the all hand tied option. On sale it only cost $580. I was excited about that. This way, I can still wear it up, with my own hair showing in all of the perimeter. I had some tears coming to the realization that I wasn't getting my hair back. But, I'm over it and moving on. I hope you get yours back, but if not, you are not alone.

- - - Updated - - -

8. Barbara Lane

Barbara Lane New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wigs for Black Women