Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Experience On Oral Minoxidil And Spironolactone And Support?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Chris Lee, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Chris Lee

Chris Lee New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi there,

I', 29 years old have been diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia about a month and a half ago. My derma put me on 0.5 mg oral Minoxidil and 25mg Spironolactone. I'm looking to see what people's experience of this has been.

I first noticed that I was shedding more hair about a year and a half ago. I chalked it up to having longer hair as I normally have short hair. At the time I was shedding about 25 hairs during my wash. This doesn't sound like a lot but I never shed more than 10 noticeable hairs during a shower in my life. Then about 3 months ago I started to notice a lot more hair falling out it seemed to vary each day. Some days I would lose 25 hairs in the shower other days over 50. I started getting worried but most people in my life said I was imagining it. I was also getting burning aching sensations in my scalp. Finally some days I was shedding near 100 hairs and I went to see my derma who was treating me for acne at the same time.

The blood test showed that everything was normal except that my testosterone was a little high. Nothing new to me as I have PCOS. The doctor took one look at my scalp and said Androgenetic Alopecia. And I was devastated. I think I was having daily panic attacks and crying every day for a week. When I got my minoxidil tablets, I felt some of the stress dissipate cause I could now do something about it. At the same time my scalp did not burn as much or ache (for the moment these symptoms have disappeared entirely) so I assumed those were stress and tension related. But at the same time my hair loss was increasing even before I started Minoxidil. Good days have gone from 25 hairs loss in a shower to 50 hairs. Bad days was anywhere between 70 and 100.

I have recently decided to cut my hair short so that I notice less in the shower and don't stress out as much. I now have officially been on treatment for 4 weeks. I have noticed however now I am losing on average 70+ hairs on wash days and 20+ hairs on normal days when I comb my hair. This is a large increase. I know that Dread Shed might be the cause of this but am feeling wary. This is mostly because I can now see my scalp at my hairline and this was not the case before.

Can anyone tell me if they have had the same treatment and if this is normal? I am trying to not stress as much as I know it can just make the situation worst I was enduring an immense amount of stress during the two years prior to this). But I'm finding it difficult as none of my family or friends seem to understand how devastating this can be (All women in my family have been luckily blessed with thick amazing hair) and keep telling me it's in my head or that its because I've done something to my hair. I am also getting a bit worried as I seem to see a lot of negative experiences on Minoxidil (Mostly topical). Help?

2. Nkevorkian

Nkevorkian New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am on the same dose and have been taking this for over 2 years. My hair issues are a result of the chemo drug, Taxotere for breast cancer that I received 5 years ago, which is known to cause permanent hair loss. I have seen improvement, but is slow. I also use a Lazer helmet 4 times a week. I did just add pellets for hormones to my regime.. I am a little worried because of the testosterone in my pellets. I might go back to the cream for testosterone because I had no hair fall before and now having about 10 per day. I know that is not a lot, but has taken so long to get what hair I have now. Do you also use the topical minoxidil?

3. Chris Lee

Chris Lee New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use topically. I'm hesitant to start other treatments just because I'm uncertain about everything and am waiting to see my Dermatologist late in November. I do have a bit of an update though it might be a bit too early to tell I think the shedding might be reducing. So far it's only been 4 days so I'm not sure, but wash days seem to have roughly 50 to 60 hairs. But I have noticed a bald spot at my hairline under my fringe. I'm not sure if it's recent or been there a while as my hair often covers the area. In terms of hair regrowth. I'm not certain if there is any. I couldn't bring myself to take photos, my dermatologist did but I couldn't do it for myself because it caused me so much anxiety. I do notice some of the hairs i shed look like they are new baby hairs. Do you see this on the treatment?

4. Sunny Lora

Sunny Lora New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I started experiencing hair loss as soon as menopause began at 51. To me, I lost a lot of hair. Now soon to be 60 and still having hair loss after various meds to try and combat this. I have been taking minoxidil .0625 daily (1/4 of a 2.5 tab.) for a year now, along with 50mg. of Spironlactone twice daily and use a laser band almost daily per my dermatologist. I have been taking Spirolactone for 2 years. I have experienced inconsistent hair growth at the temple area. My Derm has wanted me to use the rogaine foam 5% with everything else but I have not tried it due to hair shed stories. When I wash my hair I see anywhere from 10-20hairs in the shower drain. What is frustrating for me is I do not see much hair growth if any. My hair is currently below my shoulders. I had long thick hair back in the day and me and my family were blessed with lots of hair. They all have theirs but not me. I do not share my hair loss experiences with them as they wouldn’t understand and have big egos. I just do what I can on my own and luckily have a very supportive understanding husband. I still have hair and able to conceal the thinning but yet I worry about where I am heading long term. I see a “world renowned” Derm once a year as well as a local Derm but neither really have definitive answers. No biopsies because the annual Derm I see claims to know 100% this is female pattern hair loss. So I wait and do what I can in the meantime.