Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

extensions

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by valley23, Sep 6, 2005.

1. valley23

valley23 Guest

I have read a lot on this board about extensions. Would you guys reccomend them, not reccomend them, etc? How expensive are they? Is it a lot of upkeep? I HATE bothering with my hair and I feel like extensions are going to be so much upkeep and MONEY that I'm thinking it might not be worth it. But then again, the self confidence it could give me would REALLY help.

Any thoughts?

Also, where does one get extensions? Can a normal salon do them?

2. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

I have had my extensions since July 04. I would be lost without them. Keep in mind that they won't give you any volume on the top of your head. They also shouldn't be put in the front (bang area). You need to have enough hair to cover the attachment. I only have 30 extensions in my hair right now because I also don't like to mess with my hair too much. I recently paid about $500 for a new batch of hair. This batch will last me about a year. The price also included the first installation. You need to find a salon that offers this service. I have them re-done about once every 3 months.
    T.

3. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

I have extensions too ... I would also be lost without them .. I have recession and thinning temples the extensions cover it so at least I appear normal ... I go every eight to nine weeks to get mine re-done ... its time and effort and yes it can be costly (although I am lucky where I go its very reasonable and she does a great job) ....but for me the peace of mine or at least to look in the mirror and see normal hair makes it worth it ... the only time I don tlike it is when I lift up and see my thinning !!

4. 2banonymous

2banonymous Guest

Sorry, I have lots of questions about extensions...

How do extensions work when you're having a big shed? Don't they fall out? What if my hair is miniaturized, weak and breakable...will extensions destroy it more? I had curly hair which has now gone fairly straight and the texture is awful. How would I find extensions to look natural? Anyone know an understanding, capable stylist in the San Francisco area to get them? Human hair or synthetic? Can you wear your hair up? How do you take care of them?

Thanks!
    A.

5. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

I actually had my extensions put in right in the middle of my huge shed. I didn't lose any of my extensions, but some of my hair that shed got a little tangled up in the attachment. It wasn't a big deal. It was all untangled when I had them re-done. I have real hair. You wash your hair regularly. I try to comb it really well so that they don't tangle. I wear my hair up every single day. I still don't think there is enough of it to wear it lose.
    T.

6. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

I am constantly shedding and I have not lost one either ...... I agree with Tabachi in that it can get tangled and I find that sometimes the bulbs of the shed hairs stick through my hair but only I can see it !

My hair is also minustarised a LOT .... and she attaches very small ones to those areas ....

I wouldnt hesitate to have them done .. have you done a search on the web for hair extension placs in your area....or hair loss places

7. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

PS-Regarding the cost, I used to spend way more on my hair before this nightmare started. I was constantly going for trims ($55)and I was highlighting ($150) my hair every 3 months. $500 worth of hair lasts me a year now. I don't pay for trims and at most I pay $100 to have the extensions redone. It's almost a bargain.

PS-Still miss my hair, but trying to look at any bright side I can find.

8. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

yeah I dont find it expensive for what I get either .. I cant work it out in Dollars but every time I go I get new hair put in .. it would be cheaper to get te old extensions re-put in but I love the feeling of fresh hair plus I have blonde highlights in thsi time and last time I had red I can change it go for it

9. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

Same here Sally. Last year, I had blonde extensions, and this year they are brown. Love the color.
    T.

10. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

thats the only real good thing about them you can change your hair colour and then change it again the next time !! I think I will go back to my natural colour in nine weeks ! I wanted blonde because I had been on holiday and had a tan !

11. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

When I first got my extensions my color was super blonde because I had been highlighting it. Then, I was too afraid to color it again. My roots were growing out and it looked AWFUL. Now, my roots finally match my extensions and it looks 100% better.

If this hairmare every ends, I swear I am going to chop my hair off and color it again.

12. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

I dont think mine is ever goin to end but if it did I would experiment with loads of things ... I would colour it cut it change styles etc etc ... but I think i am dreaming ... wish I had done it when I could :cry:

13. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

See that. I feel the same way. I wish I was more daring before.

14. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am heartened to read the posts under this thread as I feel some sort of extensions or weaving is next for me. It's taking barrels of Toppik to cover the thin spots. Is it weaving, glued to the scalp--how does it work? I color my hair monthly--can you still do that? And how about when your hair grows out between cuts? Thanks for any info you can give me--I've been feeling desperate lately--but don't want to do anything to hurt the few precious hairs I have left!

15. 2banonymous

2banonymous Guest

If you can't put extensions on the top part of your head, how do you do highlights/color changes? I'm confused.

16. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

The extensions are just basically a few strands of hair that are glued/attached to a few strands of your own hair. My stylist says you can still color your hair, but I am too afraid to color my hair anymore. I still get my hair trimmed about once every six weeks. My own hair and the extension grows out together. (Does that make sense???).
    T.

17. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    My stylist is talking about something like this but I don't think she has any experience doing it (we live in a fairly rural area). It does make sense to me--she wants to use a glue like you would use for false eyelashes, very safe and gentle she says. I am so, so gray--really do need those monthly color jobs, although if my hair were thicker I could hopefully wait longer in between. I suppose I would be smarter to look into a stylist in a larger city who would have some experience with this--any ideas on how to start besides the yellow pages? Thanks for your help--I feel so alone in all of this until I connect with all of you.

PS How do the extensions hold up in wind and water? I ask because we just got a boat and I'm dreading the breeze revealing all my hair loss and the water washing away my Toppik.

18. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

Lily,
    What's the closest big city next to where you are? I would actually look to see if their is a hair replacement salon there. The salon I go to actually does men's hair replacements and wigs, etc. for cancer patients. Look for someone that does Great Lengths. That is what I have. I like my salon because I feel like we all have some sort of hair issues and I don't stick out like a sore thumb.

2banonymous,
    My extensions run from the top of one ear, around the back of my head to my other ear. So what looks like highlights doesn't actually start at the top of my head. Hope this helps.
    T.

PS-Sally????? I think you have the extensions closer to the front of your head?

19. tbacchi

tbacchi Guest

Lily,
    I just saw your part about the boat. We have a boat as well and I am on it every single weekend in the summer. When my hair nightmare started I wore a hat every single day on the boat. Now. I just put a headband on. I do that for my own sanity. I don't like my hair blowing around. Believe me, no one knows.
    T.

20. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    <<Lily,
    What's the closest big city next to where you are?>>

Nearest larger cities are Charlotte, Winston Salem or Greensboro. Anybody know anything about a stylist good with extensions in these areas? Thanks!!