Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

eyebrows bye bye

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by the_girl_who, Jul 7, 2007.

1. the_girl_who

the_girl_who Guest

I think my eyebrows are getting worst, more hairs coming out and they are now all patchy. I just cant imagine myself ever drawing them on, what a nightmare! I found it diffilcult keeping them in good shape in the first place but still I would give anything to have that back because now they are hardly nothing. My eyelashes have come out on the bottom row of my left eye so I just think I look like an Owl....big eyes....lost....even vacant.
    So what or how have people coped with eyelashes and eyebrows disappearing on you?

I have had it before and they normally grow back. I have had such a rubbish day, cant stop crying and feel like I have nothing to be happy about. Feel so alone. I read this case study about a lady who said she can remember who she was and that person is tucked away inside but alopecia has changed her as a person and she is now some1 completely different. I guess I feel like this. I used to be such a happy person. I remember at school people used to say they always used to see me smiling I cant remember the last time I smiled because I was just happy.
    Oh well enough of that. I want to try and beat this even though i feel so dead inside.

2. rayneStormRN

rayneStormRN Guest

{{{{hugs}}}}} you'll get through this, it's rough, i know. i've kept my eyebrows and eyelashes, so i haven't been through that yet. i did have about ONE week where eyebrows/lashes were shedding more, but that stopped and i haven't noticed any more.

there are a few people here who have had good advice for eyebrows/lashes, you could search other eyelash posts maybe, and i'm sure they'll reply here too.

keep your chin up

3. j56

j56 Guest

eyebrows

Hi,

This might help you.... I have sparse eyebrows. They're not that bad, but are somewhat curly and difficult to manage. I use Smashbox Brow Technique. You can find it QVC.com. Be sure to get the special brush that is a companion item. It's a 2 sided product with brow powder on one side and wax for sealing on the other. I really like it and I have missing patches. I'm Androgenetic Alopecia.

Jan

4. KariBelle

KariBelle Guest

I know what you mean about feeling dead inside. I know it'& that it's just hair and that otherwise I'm very healthy & should be grateful for that but often I get so down that people just don't get what I'm going through. I have been diagnosed with depression & am seeing a psychologist but I don't think I'll ever completely get over those feelings. I would give anything to have my eyelashes back. I have no eyelashes at all now and about half an eyebrow on each side (although they're blonde so it's not as noticeable). As I mentioned in another post, I am getting my eyebrows tattoed on - I have had the initial consultation & although I'm a bit scared, i am going through with it so it'll be one less thing I have to worry about. Maybe that's something you could consider?

As for the eyelashes, I have realised that people don't seem to notice nearly as much as I thought they would so I go without makeup for everyday. Only thing is this makes me look even younger -I'm 22 and people seem to thik i'm 15 or 16! Argh, bugs the hell out of me! For going out or anything special, I wear lots of eyeliner - takes a long time for me to put on but it gives me more confidence.

5. maudehimmel

maudehimmel Guest

I have decided to get my eyebrows tattooed. I'm off in 3 weeks to get it done. Really looking forward to it even though it has only been about 2 months since mine fell out and I tryed drawing them on only once. Was a complete mess.
    The wigs I wear all have a fringe so you cant really tell I have no eyebrows. But I have heaps of white regrowth at the moment so am trying to go without my wigs (bit cold with this New Zealand winter) as my regrowth has receded up the back of my head. Not shore if the wigs are wearing it off or if it's going again. Will have to wait and see.
    The last couple of days I seem to be losing eyelashes on the left side, so have decided to go without mascara for awhile to see if it stops.
    I hope yours settle down. Nothing worse than being in limbo, and this Alopecia Areata seems to be the worse limbo state I know.

6. Welshone

Welshone Guest

Hi, after 11 years of having no eyebrows and very spartan eyelashes I finally had my eyebrows tattoed in - best money I have spent on this dreadful hair loss business. I first had them done about 2 years ago, then had a top up and have just had them re-done. Would not hesitate to have it done in future. Also tried eyeliner tattoo but too painful so will not have that again. My hair has come and gone for years but 2 years ago I lost all the hair on the top whilst the rest thinned. About 95% came back and it was looking great but then started falling out with a vengeance - now have hardly any on the sides, big patches on the back and the top is thining. Somedays I cope, others I don't. Broke down on last visit to hairdressers and spent the next week crying but then dusted myself down and got back on with it. I am nothing like the person I was before this - just a different one and probably with more sensitivity! Prognosis for future hair loss is poor but I tell myself I will live long and be happy - hard though this is at times there are worse things xxx

7. the_girl_who

the_girl_who Guest

thank you everyone for your replies, it really does help. I think my eyebrows will grow back (i really hope they will) but if they dont tattooing them on would have to be an option just because there is no way I could draw them on. I will look into that powder brush thing mentioned, that sounded okay. QVC.COM.

Anyway if your eyebrows grow back over the tattoos what do you do then, just pluck them? I think I need to see some photos. Maude, you mentioned about not wearing wigs because you thought it was stopping hair growth? I mean I am looking into wigs and have ordered one. I have really fine white/blonde hairs growing back and then some dark areas of growth as well. I'm worried its going to stop growth. It's meant to be summer in England but it hasnt stopped raining and my head gets really cold so I have to wear hats or have a hood up indoors because my head gets chilly.

Again thank you for your replies, its so good to hear about how everyone has handled this situation and I wish you all the luck with what you choose to do. xxxx

8. maudehimmel

maudehimmel Guest

I think my wigs may be causing wear on what hair is their because they are the netted ones. Don't know for sure if they are wearing the hair off but I have over 20 wigs and they all rub in different places. I have noticed the rubbing at the back really badly lately and have put it down to the wigs, it may be because the hair has gone and it is rubbing my scalp.
    I lost all my head hair within two weeks so got heaps of different wigs (Very very cheap ones) in lots of colours to match my clothes. But six months down the track I think I am over the covering up my head thing now and only wear them instead of a hat (when it's cold) as I cant seem to find a hat that looks and fits good on my head.
    So every morning I leave the house with matching hair and clothing, but within the first hour of work my hair is off, and my workmates just put up with me bald and patchy. They don't seem to mind and I don't think any of them would hestite to tell me to 'put my hair on' if they did.

9. Isa

Isa Guest

Wooow you've got guts. I would never dare go without a wig at work.

10. maudehimmel

maudehimmel Guest

I work with a great bunch of people so I suppose I am lucky.
    Got my eyebrows done and they look so great. Once the crusties go I will post a photo.
    But I can say at the moment, best money I ever spend.
    Lots of people have said it makes me look so much younger (can't be a bad thing) and I feel so much better.

11. the_girl_who

the_girl_who Guest

eeeek i havent been on here for ages....to be honest it feels like a life time ago that I was on here but it was only 4-5 weeks ago maybe...but anyway seen improvement in my eyebrows...they still out of shape but are not patchy anymore. I still missing a bottom line of eye lashes. Good news.

12. HHULETTE01

HHULETTE01 Guest

EYEBROWS

:roll: I TOO HAVE EYEBROW ISSUES I HAVE NONE LEFT AND NO LOWER EYELASHES RECENTLY DID STEROID INJECT IN THE EYEBROWS AND TOO SOON TO REALLY TELL IF ANY RESPONSE BUT I WILL TELL YOU WHAT DID SHOW RESPONSE WAS CELLCEPT A TRANSPLANT DRUG THE LOWEST DOSE NOT SURE EXACT DOSE I HAD TO STOP TAKING IT CAUSE IT MADE ME VERY WEAK AND TIRED AFTER 2 WKS OF TAKING THE MED BUT IT REALLY WAS HELPING AND YOU MAY BE ABLE TO TAKE WITHOUT PROBLEMS I LOST ALL MY EYEBROWS AND I TOO COULDNT SEE DRAWING THEM IN AND I TRIED AND IT LOOKS AWLFUL I WOULD NOT SUGG BUT THE EYEBROW TATOO IS VERY EXPENSIVE TOO $500 FOR BOTH AND ONLY LAST ABOUT A YEAR I WAS TOLD AND HAVE TO BE RETOUCHED UP IM NOT SURE THERE REALLY IS A SOLUTION I WISH THERE WAS IF ANYONE ELSE IS AWARE OF WOULD I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW BUT MOST PEOPLE SAY THEY DONT EVEN NOTICE THAT I DONT HAVE ANY I THINK IT LOOKS VERY STRANGE AS WE ALL DO UNFORTUNATELY BUT MAYBE IT IS BECAUSE WE KNOW IT I HOPE YOU GET BETTER SOON LET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND SOMETHING THAT WORKS PLEASE YOU ARE IN MY PRAYERS

13. Guest

Guest Guest

because i am bald with Alopecia Universalis, i don't have eyebrows either.
    i have permanent eyeliner done, but decided not to have permanent eyebrows done, because i like to pencil in my eyebrows different ways, and also i like the 'no eyebrow look', of not having any eyebrows.

.............when i dress up and go out somewhere with my husband, i used to always pencil in eyebrows, but lately i have been going without eyebrows most of the time, whether i am wearing a wig, a headscarf, or the bald look.

.....alot of fashion models in recent years have been shaving off their eyebrows, or have very slender little wisps of eyebrows, which is another look i like to wear.

my favorite looks to wear are, my blonde chin length bob cut wig, with eyelahes but no eyebrows.
    a long flowing headscarf tied back gypsy style, with gold hoop earrings, and eyelashes with no eyebrows,
    or my bald look with long dangle earrings, eyelashes with no eyebrows.
    i have a pierced left nostril, and usually wear a small diamond nosestud, or small gold nosestud to compliment my bald head, earrings, whatever dress or skirt and blouse i am wearing.
    i sometimes also wear fashion neckscarves, and on occasion will wear a small gold nosering, sometimes with a slender gold chain connecting my nosering to my left earring, like some women in india do, but usually i just wear a nosestud with a pair of earrings.

for outfits, i like little black chiffon dresses, long flowing dresses with a silk or cotton blouse, or a short flirty red chiffon skirt with a white blouse. with nylons and high heels, makeup, lipstick, and gold hoop earrings or long dangle earrings.

14. the_girl_who

the_girl_who Guest

me eyebrows are now better and i noticed improvement on the lower eye lid...eye lashes are growing back......i guess it takes time...but my nails are in bad condition now....they keep chipping!

15. scraggy

scraggy Guest

Hi ladies..

I dont know if this would help, but wanted to tell you about it anyhow.. do any of you know the make up Laura geller...? its available at sephora..and she is in New York..i use some of her makeup and its pretty nice...well she has brought out an eyeliner pen sort of permanent marker, looks like the pencils we draw with..its available only at QVC (only this item) for one yr before it will put out to the stores...sooo if you interested , you can order it from QVC and if you dont like it, u only loosing S&H...i saw the demo and it looks very good...i use her other brow thing, its like a mascara brush with fibres, on one side, and then clear gel on the other side..when thats finished, i will try this one..

Scraggy.