Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Eyelashes????

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by KariBelle, May 9, 2007.

1. KariBelle

KariBelle Guest

Hi everyone,

I haven't been here in a while but I posted my story almost a year ago now....anyway I am a 21y.o chick with Alopecia Areata.

I'm managing to deal with the hair loss on my head at the moment - it's still possible to conceal. I don't really care that my eyebrows are only half there either - they can be drawn on. But I always said I could never do without my eyelashes - I always wear mascara. Well until now....I was even wearing mascara on my remaining lashes until today but the last few lashes on my left eye all came out in my fingers today and I just can't deal with it! I look terrible without eye make-up and I feel so self conscious. I am completely hopeless at putting eyeliner on & my one attempt at false eyelashes did not work at all.

So I have to go to this balck tie dinner next week and i almost have an anxiety attack everytime I think about it.....everyone's going to look gorgeous & I'm going to look like a freak with no eyelashes! :cry:

Welll that's my rant, thanks for listening. I have a couple of questions for other girls with Alopecia Areata though - how many of you have lost eyelashes, brows etc. without losing all your head hair? I also have very little hair on my arms or legs (although I still have underarm & pubic hair) & I'm getting very scared it's just all going to fall out completely.....anyone have experience with this?

2. rayneStormRN

rayneStormRN Guest

i haven't lost eyebrows or eyelashes at this point in time, but i have lost a TON on my head, to the point it is NOT hidable, and i shaved what little was left and bought a wig. my leg hair isn't growing in as thick, and i go longer without shaving, and i have one bald spot in another area i shave, i'm wathcing my eybrows and lashes like a hawk, but haven't noticed anything yet.

i wish i could tell you how best to cope with it, and go to your fancy dinner, but you have to try to find it in yourself, and you are NOT a freak!

i know there are a lot of people here who can help you with the eyelash thing, i wish i could be more help, but don't put yourself down over something that you have no control over.

3. bschmalz

bschmalz Guest

Dear Karibelle,
    Welcome!

I know exactly how you feel. I have Alopecia Universalis, which means no scalp hair, eyebrows, eyelashes and body hair. I would be able to deal with being bald much better as long has I had my brows and lashes. But I deal. Things could be much worse and that is what I live by.

For your event, take a deep breathe and try to relax. Try to find someone who can do your makeup for you with lashes. You will feel less stress if you have someone apply it for you. A year after I lost everything I had a wedding to go to. A friend of mine put lashes on me and applied my makeup. I put on a wig with a fancy head scarf. I must say I looked beautiful.

Good luck with everything.

Birgitt

4. KariBelle

KariBelle Guest

Thanks for the replies girls! I am feeling a little more calm about the dinner now. My mum bought me a hair piece that matches my own hair really well & makes it look so much longer & thicker - I've never had that much hair before! As for the eyelashes, I am just going to try & put lots of eyeliner on & hope no one notices. Fingers crossed!

5. the_girl_who

the_girl_who Guest

hi, i'm also 21. I have suffered from Alopecia Areata since I was 18 and my eye lashes and eyebrows always fall out in areas but have in the past always grown back fully. Again they are falling out and my eyebrows are a mess.....i really hope my eye lashes stick by me. I have lost hair on my arms (one girl noticed this but it was more ohhh i wish I had such smooth arms, they are so nice and smooth!!)...and my legs dont have to shave as much because again think hair has given up there. meh

think you posted quite awhile ago but hope the meal was okay and things went smoothly xxx

6. KariBelle

KariBelle Guest

Hi, thanks for replying...just by chance I am back on the site today after quite a long absence - I don't always have access to a computer. But my dinner did go well - I had my make-up done professionally & my hair all curly. And if I do say so myself, I looked pretty amazing! But it's hard just getting by everyday now - my eyelashes do not look like returning anytime soon &my brows keep falling out. I am going to get the eyebrows tattoed on soon which should make things a little easier -quicker to get ready in the morning & it won't wear off like pencil does.