Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Feedback Please - How Advanced Is My hair loss? (pictures)

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Eliza1990, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all - my hair loss has advanced pretty drastically in the past 3 months and I'm wondering if it's time to start researching wig options (I'd rather transition to wearing one before my hairloss is extremely noticeable).

It's tough to get accurate gauge from friends/family when I ask them how bad it is because they are trying to be nice.

I welcome your honest thoughts!

Attached Files:

2. Sunnyday

Sunnyday Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello eliza
    For me your hair looks great ! At least in these pictures ! I think you are really far away from wearing a wig ! Why are you scared that it will progress so rapidly? You were diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia?
    I see you're using rogain, do you have before and after pictures? Are you shedding a lot lately ?

3. mellie

mellie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    It really doesn't look bad! Your part looks normal to me and your hair loss is not even noticeable. Of course on pictures sometimes it's hard to tell. How are the ends? Can you post a pic that shows the whole hair, not just the top?

4. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    You are extremly early stages.

You have a long time until you need a wig.

try using Topik if you feel you are insecure--but you look fine to me.

You may not need a wig for a very long time.

5. mcat11

Dislikes Received:
    Try an anti androgen if you dont want a pill try a topical one from a compounding pharmacy..or get the pills you can make a topical at home..but try the pills it does not bother some people.

6. pasbrillantebrunette

Dislikes Received:
    I don't even see any hair loss... but I believe you. If you start treatments right nopw (minoxidil, maybe Spironolactone) you are going to be fine.

mcat11 likes this.
  7. Eliza1990

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all - your words mean a lot. Thank you so much for the feedback.

I will definitely post some more pics tonight (need to wait home to access wifi or my old pics look blurry) that show my hair from other angles / comparative photos from 3-12 months ago to give you a gauge of where my loss is at. I think that might show more hair loss.

Sunnyday - I had a scalp biopsy that diagnosed Androgenetic Alopecia back in 2015. Derms have seemed to trust that diagnosis but I've also had significant TE-like shedding (starting to wonder if it's CTE?) as well. Whatever it is, I've had EXTREME shedding for most of the past 3 years. The latest episode picked up in March (to >300, hasn't relented).

The reason I've been scared since the latest serious shedding episode began is that this time - despite the terrifying shedding not being any worse than it was back in 2014-2015, is that the hair loss has rapidly become very noticeable to me in the mirror, not just in pictures. My hair feels not only crazy thin in the shower, but seems to have a different texture. I can see a lot more scalp than I ever could before, and now it gets oily in <24 hours (I think because I have less of it now so running my hands through it over the course of the day makes it get oily faster).

Perhaps the most concerning thing is that 6 weeks ago the type of hair I've been shedding seemingly changed overnight. I always had some miniaturized/tapered hairs but all of the sudden it's increased from maybe, 20% of the hairs I shed to 60-70% most of the time. Most of what's coming off my head now is crap hair - I think the absolute # of medium/long normal hairs shed daily is starting to decrease slightly, but honestly given how much my hair has thinned over the past three months I think maybe that's just natural and the loss as a % is unchanged.

8. Eliza1990

Dislikes Received:
    Also - I've been on Rogaine since June 2015.

^ And sorry for the essay!

9. pasbrillantebrunette

Dislikes Received:
    Mayby you could try to take an oral AntiAndrogen such as spironolactone, Diane 35, Cyproterone Acetate (Androcur - available depending on where ou live)...

mcat11 likes this.
  10. Maasai

Maasai Member

Dislikes Received:
    Your hair looks really good, but I can understand why you'd be concerned if your hair doesn't feel normal.

11. Hairmess

Hairmess Member

Dislikes Received:
    How did the rogaine work for you?

12. Eliza1990

Dislikes Received:
    @Hairmess - I've had serious TE/CTE type shedding since my hair loss started, and I think the Rogaine has exacerbated the shedding (but not caused it). Overall though, I'm sure I've also seen regrowth from it, so net net I still think it's benefited. If I could get my TE to stop I think the Rogaine could do a better job treating my underlying Androgenetic Alopecia.

Also, here is the difference between 3-4 months ago and now, to give some perspective.

Attached Files:

13. Sunnyday

Sunnyday Member

Dislikes Received:
    According to these pictures, your part is a little bit more visible now,maybe.. but the way you feel it and see it is more important. If you feel it has thinned and you've been shedding more, then TE is the reason and you should adress that. If it has thinned without increased shedding/little shedding, it could be the Androgenetic Alopecia.

14. mcat11

Dislikes Received:
    I do see a very slight progression but still a lot perhaps for 4 months.

Minoxidil does not treat Androgenic alopecia.
    Minoxidil is a growth stimulant, it makes hair stay in growth phase longer and it stimulates dormant hair to regrow if its not far advanced.

To fight hair loss from androgen you have to lower androgens either in scalp or systemically with anti androgens type of drugs.

Keto shampoo helps 'very little' but some. You leave it on for a few minutes...it did not help me much but everyone is different.

Most women do oral Spironolactone and low androgen birth control pills.

You would have to be off these meds when you want to conceive as these pills can damage a male fetus at time of conception (male fetus needs the DHT in your body to generate properly when you conceive) I believe Spironolactone leaves your body quickly when you stop BUT you have to check with your Gyno/Endo and I would get blood test before trying to conceive to make sure it is out of system.
    this is the same for all anti androgens.
    Some anti androgens linger longer than others--I think this is why Spironolactone is preferred (at least it seems preferred in USA).

I hope this helps.

Your hair los does not look excessive to me so you can try to talk to your Doctor about a topical form of these drugs--this works for me but I do not know if it would work for everyone.

Hair loss treatment in women unfortunately is like experimenting what might work. Some works for some and others not ...it is hit or miss.

you might be having a periodic shed from minoxidil-this supposedly happens according to forums but I would not count on it because you are not trading the DHT in scalp from attacking hair follicles...Minoxodil is like a band aid to the problem--a very good band aid but still just a band aid.

You can explore other things as well.
    RU--its not FDA approved but many men use on male forums some for years with good results.
    Stemoxdine (think that is the name) it is sold by Loreal/Granier but only in the European version not US you can buy on Ebay though.
    Lipogaine for men has some other growth stimulants that have 'some' science behind them not sure how good.

15. JenVoy

JenVoy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt. ;) Your part looks like mine did at the beginning of my shed, which was 2 years ago. So IMO, It doesn't look bad. I get the feeling of knowing what it looked like before, and that it doesn't look right to you. I got a hair topper to make myself feel better.

If you know what your possible trigger was, than I would stick to the thought that it's CTE and you have a good chance of recovery. How long have you been shedding? If it's a very high shed count, that leads me to believe you have CTE as well.
    I was told by Dr. Donovan I have CTE AND FPHL. It was a hard pill to swallow, but he stated that Trazodone caused the CTE which caused early Androgenetic Alopecia. Whatever! I'm still holding onto hope that my shedding will stop at least! He said I had a 30% chance of getting my hair back to the way it was. That's good enough for me!

I hope you don't stress too much about your shed! I was like this for 1.5 years before I just threw my hands up and gave in to my situation. Toppers are awesome! I think I may need a wig one day if this keeps up, but I won't stress about it. It is what it is!

Also, you stated that you think your trigger is your low iron? A good friend of mine has a ferritin of 10! No hair loss. She has some shedding but I think it's due to menopause. I don't believe iron is a huge factor of hair shedding. It might be to those with eating disorders or severe vitamin deficiencies. I think Vitamin D is the likely culprit for a lot of women. Get the checked as well!

16. mellie

mellie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi JenVoy! Glad to see you found some peace of mind wearing toppers. Can I ask which one you got? Been stressed about hair for 2 years and now I am back to high shed since July, when does it end? I am thinking Spironolactone is next but I am curious about toppers as well. Would love to know what your experience has been like and which one you got!

Thanks!

17. petey3

petey3 Member

Dislikes Received:
    How do you know if it is CTE? I have been seeing Dr. Donovan for awhile too but since he moved his practice to Vancouver and raised his fees the travel costs for me to go see him have been too much. I've had three sheds this past year and my hair is looking pretty bad right now. I've been hit especially hard in the temples and front hair line. I had a shed from the stress of moving and buying a house, one from stopping progesterone cream and trying a new herbal tincture and now I'm having one from a miscairrage. It seems that just about everything causes my hair to shed but not in the high, high hundreds like I've seen some people quote. I was doing PRP for hair loss and saw some results but lost them in these last sheds. After the miscairrage I emailed Dr. Donovan to see if it was safe to resume treatments and he said yes but that he wanted a 30 minute follow up with me to review everything first and evaluate my scalp to see if maybe we need to pause things for a bit. I was in shock. At $650 for just the appointment I can't really afford that right now. Nothing has changed since the last time I saw him except the miscairrage. He said he could do the appointment over the phone but seriously? He can't evaluate my scalp over the phone. I'm so discouraged right now. I'm also looking at pictures I took of my hair from last summer and can see the difference. I know there is a difference because I can feel it and see it in the mirror but sometimes I think looking at the pictures makes me feel worse. I suppose we all do it though...check our "progress" I mean.

18. mcat11

Dislikes Received:
    Low ferritin makes androgenic alopecia worse, more pronounced--it's not an either or situation...and having ferritin over 70 helps treatments like minoxidil and Spironolactone work more efficiently..
    they did research studies on this you can find them by Dr Costarellis and also Dr Wilma Bergfeld did a study.
    These are two of the worlds leading dermatologists for alopecia hair loss.
    So I think their findings hold a lot of weight.

19. Eliza1990

Dislikes Received:
    Hi - thought I’d provide another update since it’s been six months since I posted this. Latest pics attached. What do you guys think in terms of advancement?

I’ve seen an amazing wig maker in my city, and I’m thinking about getting a wig now and transitioning prematurely, so that no one (at least no one I’m close to) will notice a drastic difference. I would love to feel the confidence that comes with knowing your hair will look the same in a day, week, etc (at least to the outside world) that it looks today!

Attached Files:

20. losing_it

losing_it Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    In the photo where you are pulling your hair back, your hair loss looks just like mine! I have very curly hair, so it's obviously a bit different, but my hair is thinning at my temples, with just a touch and the front of the scalp, and at the nape of my neck. I've always thought that I had CTE, because of the HUGE sheds I get, plus the fact that my hair literally all came back for a little over a year (best year of my 20's!). I began shedding again shortly after I had the Skyla IUD inserted (I removed the IUD 3 months after insertion), that was about a year ago and I've been shedding since.

I know what you mean about your hair feeling different. When my hair got really bad (before it all came back), my curls started straightening out and looked stringy. My hair felt extremely dry. I could barely style it anymore. It's not that strangers on the street would recognize I had hair loss, but I didn't see the same me when I looked in the mirror. I saw a crappy hair version of me. It's devastating, especially in our 20's when we are supposed to be in our "prime."

I, like you, have also contemplated getting a wig and transitioning early, but it's so hard because I can barely find curly wigs at all, let alone one that matches my curly pattern. If I had straight hair, I would totally get a topper! Have you looked at toppers? It might make an early transition easier, as it would be kind of a stepping stone to eventually wearing wigs. Either way, I say do what you are comfortable with. If you want a wig, do it! It doesn't mean you're giving up hope that your hair will never come back. It just means you're doing what feels right in the moment!