Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Feeling pretty good!

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by MeliM, May 27, 2016.

1. MeliM

MeliM Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    This post is for anyone who has been on the fence on rather to color their hair or not. Well I waited almost two years and finally had the courage to color my hair. I have been so scared as to ... will it make my hair fall out more? Will it make my SD flare up etc etc. Well I finally said screw it I'm going to just do it. I went in the Salon shaking like a leaf so nervous and felt like I could puke . But I did it! And let me tell you I feel so much better. My roots where black and past my shoulders with the bottom of my hair a faded dried out red color and to top that off I had several greys coming in at my part line . My hair was definitely a hot mess! That's besides the hairloss . Well I had it colored a dark dark brown and had 3 inches taken off I's so shiny and even feels fuller! I wish I would have done this a long time ago . I washed my hair tonight and no extra strands in the shower either ! Anyway just wanted to put this out there for anyone who is contemplating rather or not to color their hair but just needed the extra reassurance :) Why shouldn't we be able to color or hair and feel pretty just because we suffer from hair loss . Something we have no control over!

2. tbred

tbred Member

Dislikes Received:
    This couldn't have come at a better time, having highlights done TODAY for the first time in almost two years! I too am so panicked that a friend is taking me. So glad to hear it caused no additional loss, I keep having visions of coming out of salon bald. My hair so disgusting, something has to be done! Thanks for the pep talk!!!!!

3. MeliM

MeliM Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Tbred. I'm so glad could give you some motivation for your hair appointment today. I know your going to love how you feel once you have your highlights done ! Let me know how everything goes :)

4. hairtothere

hairtothere Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm so glad you went to your hair appt. and are feeling better about your hair. I remember my first appt. after my TE shed, I stopped going to my stylist for 6 months, for me that is a long time! I go once a month normally. The first appt. was hard because she confirmed that she did see a big difference in my hair. But it looked so much better when she trimmed the "moth eaten ends" and covered up my grey roots. Now when I go she confirms that my hair is getting better and better.

I didn't realize until I had my own TE shed that my stylist has thinning hair (she hides it well), my experience led her to go get blood tests. She found out she is hypothyroid, she said she now pays closer attention to her clients and the condition of their hair and tells women to see their Drs. and have their iron and thyroid checked.

5. tbred

tbred Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I still have hair on my head after yesterdays highlights and I feel SO much better!! My stylist that I've used forever even told me that anyone looking at me would never know I have hairloss and that I do have all kinds of little sprouts all over. Obviously, she could tell that I have lost a considerable amount of my hair since she knew how thick it used to be. I am still losing at a rate of about 30-40 a day, which is way more than my pre shed rate but much less than my 500 per day when shed started. Still hoping to regain some of what I have lost!

6. MeliM

MeliM Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Tbred, I'm so glad you are happy with your highlights!! We still need to pamper ourselves even though we have hair loss. You even where braver than I was . I went to a totally new hair stylist because I just couldn't stomach hearing my old stylist confirm to me how much I've lost . As it's been 4 years of hair loss for me and my hair was so super super thick when I used to see her. I to fortunately get told know one would know I have hair loss. But to me unfortunately it's just a Matter of time before they do :( Are you using anything that has helped your hairloss or where you suffering from a TE ?

7. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yah! Great news! I can relate to the feeling in your gut when going there. I always take a antihistamine JUST IN case. I am wondering how your SD is? Seems like when I go mine is practually gone after for a few weeks. Would love to know how yours does!!

8. MeliM

MeliM Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Mycurlyhair:) So far my SD is same unfortunately. Except some of the build up turned the color of the hair dye lol

9. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yep! Same here. Stuff that was on my scalp is always dark brown. For a couple of weeks sometimes!

10. hoping4best

hoping4best Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    This thread inspired me to henna my hair over the weekend, and I am glad I did. I've been coloring my hair on and off with everything from bright unnatural dyes to box semi-permanents to henna to salon demi-permanent for years, just for fun. I am a pretty experienced henna-er, and find it to be gentle and conditioning, even though it can be a gross mess to use.

I had last gotten some demi-permanent at a salon months ago & didn't love it, and had roots, but had been scared to color it. I decided to care less about going for a particular color this time, and to focus on conditioning. I mixed some good quality red henna with some decent quality conditioner & a bit of jojoba oil and put it in my hair for 2 hours under a cap. My hair came out an awesome copper and has the henna shine & smoothness. I lost the usual large-hamster of hair in the process, but that's how it's been when I wash anyway. My shedding is pretty much the same troublesome level it was before, but at least I feel better! So thank you, MeliM!

The only thing that is worse is that when I lose the pretty copper hairs, I'm like: but... I colored you so pretty! Don't go! :rolleyes:

11. MeliM

MeliM Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hoping4best , I'm so glad you went through with it and colored your hair!! It feels so good having freshly colored shiny hair again. I wish I would'nt have been so scared and waited the almost 2 years to color mine. The hair color you picked sounds so pretty and I'm happy you love how it turned out! :)