Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Feeling So Down.......…….......

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by TinaM1968, May 2, 2019.

1. TinaM1968

TinaM1968 Established Member

Dislikes Received:

#1 TinaM1968, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
  2. idk

idk Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Tina
    It can be really crappy I know I have been there a long time. But what shook me out of that funk was having a breast cancer scare! All of a sudden I thought, crap! Please God let hair loss be it for me! Seriously, it's the most frustrating thing for a woman because its meant to happen to men, not us ladies. But lately I have seen one or two women that have hair loss, since I am so obsessed with hair that I look at everyone's scalps.

Time passes so quickly I want to still enjoy life, my kids, the remains of my youth (Im 44 now). So I have come to a place of acceptance although still fighting this and trying things I want to be kinder to myself and focus on other areas life to bring back some sunshine into my life.

I went to the hair dressers on the weekend. There were 3 other ladies there getting their hair done. They looked older than me, heavier than me, one has chronic fatigue but the common thing about them was - they had such THICK hair!! One had such thick hair that if I hadn't seen the hair dresser wash her hair I would say its a wig, you could not separate the hair to find the scalp?! She had to have it thinned out.

So there goes my theory that hair reflects the general well being of a woman. I look like the healthiest and youngest of those women there but yet, I'm balding and they all had luscious locks. So there is no logic to this.

My hair dresser is really nice, she keeps saying, it will grow back just give it time. Such kind words :)

So hang in there Tina, I know I'm not on here often because I keep waiting for my success story to manifest! But I am here if you want a sounding board!

Take care!

3. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you ♥️ Means a lot to me to hear that I do accept it some days and don’t obsess nearly as much as I use too but it’s hard I still try things and search a bit I try to enjoy life too but I miss those old days. 5 years ago I had an ovary removed. Ovarian cancer scare I’m thankful truly that it was just a bad scare life hasn’t been the same since. My anxiety and stress just soared and stayed high I keep hoping to have some sort of success story to share someday I see other women my age and see thick normal hair they seem so carefree I envy that. Being carefree again. Thank god we both just had cancer “scares” and everything turned out ok. ❤️ I guess I’m mainly mad at myself, I believe I did this to me brought it on myself

4. idk

idk Member

Dislikes Received:
    You didn't bring it upon yourself! I think everyone has a weak point in their physiology, ours just happens to be hair! My hair is see-through around the majority of my scalp, what can I do?! I hope to maintain what I have and pamper it as much as I can. I too miss the times I wasn't so obsessed and traumatised by my hair loss. I look at other women with amazing hair and just daydream about what I would do with that hair if it were mine! I get serious hair envy! So I just try to maintain positive that my hair is not shedding. At least I don't have to stress about that!

So after another trial, I now know that NAC reduces my hair fall. But that is it. It doesn't seem to promote hair regrowth. I have given up on Saw Palmetto, don't think it did anything for my hair. Biosil only ever made my eyelashes thicker and longer, so giving that up as well. Still taking iron every other day in hope that it might spur my hair along into better growth. Topically I'm applying aloe vera with Lavender essential daily on my scalp. So far after about 3 weeks, no side effects, scalp feels nice. Praying to the follicle gods to sprinkle some follicle dust on my scalp lol!

Only the men in my family have hair loss, so I don't understand why I'm the only female in my family to suffer from this. :(

5. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    Nac huh? I tried that briefly a few years ago when my hair wasn’t so bad. How much do you take? When did u see a decrease in shed? I’ve been trying rosemary oil a bit but too soon to tell. How do you use the low and lavender oil? I’m just so desperate if even shedding decreased I’d be happy it’s been up again and my hair is super thin all over but more so top front and sides. Along with those 2-3 inch lengths that do t grow I thought of trying saw palmetto but my testosterone levels are all good only those Dheas levels are slightly elevated yea no one in my family has this either all my female cousins 3 older sisters mom grandson aunts no one has/had it. If I were just sensitive to dht of any amount wouldn’t I have had issues earlier in life? My dht levels were great too prolactin as well. Doesn’t seem to be androgen fueled but it looks almost male
    Pattern with the temples and front cte? I just want the shedding to stop and those short hairs to grow I could live with the thinner hair it those were to happen

#5 TinaM1968, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
  6. idk

idk Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,

I take 600mg of NAC together with 1000mg of vitamin C daily when my shed increases. For maintenance I take that now every other day. One day iron, next day NAC, etc. The vitamin c helps the NAC work better. I notice a decrease in shedding after 2 weeks.

The aloe vera and lavender routine is pretty simple. I just mix one teaspoon of aloe vera gel in an egg cup and add 3 drops lavender essential oil and apply it to the scalp with cotton bud. I do this daily. On wash days I also add lavender essential oil to my shampoo in my hand.

That is not good regarding your higher DHEAS, read the below link, it mentions that women even with a high-normal DHEAS will present with androgen excess symptoms like hair loss. Now I am wondering if my Endo ever tested this hormone? She just said my Androgen ratio was good. Looks like I might go revisit her.

https://www.restartmed.com/high-dhea-levels/

7. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    Yea that’s my problem those darns dheas. Always just slightly elevated. I was able to Bring them down once us not for long not long enough to make a difference. Now I struggle to try and bring them down and lost how to

8. idk

idk Member

Dislikes Received:
    How did you bring it down initially?

I have elevated Prolactin, most likely from stress. Might try to lower it with Vitex again. I think stress is really underrated in the hair loss area. It doesn't have to be overt stress to cause imbalances in our systems. Just the daily grind that wears us down. So now I am focussing more on being happy and focusing on things that bring positivity into life rather than unpleasant feelings. Playing around with hormones is a mine field. Did it once and got burnt. Once bitten twice shy.

9. TinaM1968

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with playing wi th hormones being a mine field. Did that too many times myself not going down that path again.. as for lowering them before, I avoided sugar lost weight too was more active kept my mind busy no alcohol or very little if it did No carbs (breads ect) ate fruits, no dairy ( cheese esp) tuna ect as a snack at least that what I think I did so hard and it was almost 2 years ago elevated prolactin will cause androgen related loss too mine was fine. I alway thought the high dheas were due to stress I don’t feel stressed for a while now but idk maybe deep down I am because I am grinding and clenching my teeth in my sleep